NON-hackable receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

crawfrdb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Does anyone know of receivers for which there is NOT firmware available to go where they shouldn't? I would like to own one and support it. It would be nice to find a feature rich model that can:

1. Edit a satellite entry in the menu,
2. Add a new satellite entry in the menu,
3. Edit AND add transponders within a satellite in the menu

I've reading about some pretty sad receviers on this forum that fall short of what is needed. Does anyone else have a feature they'd like to see in such a receiver?

Besides one that does 4:2:2 or even HD :D

Most of the receivers have those features you posted. I think you might mean “easy to edit” satellite entry. I can edit a satellite in 8 of my 9 boxes (Viacast 2000 being the one I can’t). Some are easy to change and some are options deep within the menus

As for the other part, all receivers come factory fresh and work great without the need to put some illegal crap in it : )

crawfrdb said:
Does anyone know of receivers for which there is NOT firmware available to go where they shouldn't? I would like to own one and support it. It would be nice to find a feature rich model that can:

1. Edit a satellite entry in the menu,
2. Add a new satellite entry in the menu,
3. Edit AND add transponders within a satellite in the menu

I've reading about some pretty sad receviers on this forum that fall short of what is needed. Does anyone else have a feature they'd like to see in such a receiver?

Any of the Traxis units.

Iceberg said:
Besides one that does 4:2:2 or even HD :D

Most of the receivers have those features you posted. I think you might mean “easy to edit” satellite entry. I can edit a satellite in 8 of my 9 boxes (Viacast 2000 being the one I can’t). Some are easy to change and some are options deep within the menus

As for the other part, all receivers come factory fresh and work great without the need to put some illegal crap in it : )

What do you think of the QualiTV set top box?
MPEG2, 4:2:2 capable as well as HD.

well lets see
$700 price tag puts it out of my "buying area" right now :)

I know there are some issues like you cant edit channel names or satellites in it. You are limited to X transponders & satellites entries

I had to save months for the receiver.

There are some American satellite names on there, but you do have several satellite names to choose from. More than you will ever need. I chose AMC name for ku-band and T4-Ku name for c-band. Confusing..but I had ku setup on it before c-band. I have my channels saved by arc, but sometimes when you download a new channel, the order gets all messed up back to a certain point on the receiver (like 7-10 days before I figure), so that's a half hour pain to back in satellite order. I may put each satellite on their own name, but with the lack of American named birds on it, I'd forget which one is SBS 6, etc...

Picture quality is really nice, you get AC-3 audio where available on feeds and there are some feeds that broadcast in dolby digital.

You can get updates via the web for the receiver from the Quali-TV website, but I haven't done that yet, and there's one out there to update.

crawfrdb,
The Qualitv does not have a "blind" scan. Probably it's biggest mal-factor. It's quite Quirky at times. Note: it's not for everybody, probably not for most. It only has a few satellites (you can count them on two hands and have plenty of fingers left) stored in the receiver from the western hemisphere, remember it's a European receiver.
But, for me it does what I want and enjoy. I use other receivers for blind scan and enter TP's,SR's in the Qualitv and it scans those and I can watch HD and/or SD 4:2:2. It's quirky, but I like it. I'm still growing with it. I can still get frustated at times, but my growth has enabled me to better understand how it works and what it's up to. It is "Pricey", but well worth it for me.
However, it may not be for you? I really would not recommend it for/to a beginner.

Al

MikeI said:
I chose AMC name for ku-band and T4-Ku name for c-band. Confusing..but I had ku setup on it before c-band. I have my channels saved by arc, but sometimes when you download a new channel, the order gets all messed up back to a certain point on the receiver (like 7-10 days before I figure), so that's a half hour pain to back in satellite order. I may put each satellite on their own name, but with the lack of American named birds on it, I'd forget which one is SBS 6, etc....
Mike, what I do is use 4 sat names in the 4 spaces and try to avoid changing them as it wipes out the TP's and SR's I have entered when this happens. The names are just there, each of the 4 spaces is connected to a port on a diseqc switch for a different dish. 1st one is C-band, the others ku. If need be, I'll swap them out for other dishes. When it gets acting quirky, I usually go into favorites and start deleting channels and it will clear it up (although I don't use favorites, this is how to delete channels). I have one ku that I won't delete (PBS HD) and several C-band that I keep around for network HD and some other channels (TOC HD, etc.). As you probably know, deleting the channels doesn't effect the TP's and SR's stored on any of the sats I'm using.

Al

crawfrdb said:
Does anyone know of receivers for which there is NOT firmware available to go where they shouldn't? I would like to own one and support it.
I don't think you should select a receiver based on whether or not it's been hacked. By your standard no one could have a real subscribed DN receiver. Even the firmware in the real DN receivers has been hacked. For the most part the ones that haven't been hacked are ones that there's no hacker that knows what he's doing that wants it hacked.

You shouldn't try to reward/punish manufacturers based on whether or not they've been hacked, it's not their fault. The technology the hackers use to suck the firmware out of and into the receivers is built into the chips themselves for design and manufacturing testing.

Just pick whatever receiver seems to have all (or at least most) of the features you want. Then buy it from a site that isn't hacker friendly. It's the hacker friendly websites you should be avoiding, not the receiver brands. This forum's sponsors (at the top of the page) are hacker unfriendly, support them and the forum.

See my Non-Hackable receiver FOR SALE in the Classified Section. I know it a CHEEP PROMO :) But I just can't help myself >>>> LOL I don't think it meets all of the Items he wants but it works & I don't think it can be hacked. Of course I may be wrong!!!

BryanSR

I would not worry about buying a receiver that can't be hacked.

I would worry about who I bought the receiver from.

There are some less than honest FTA dealers that advertise on hack sites, but when you goto their site they say they don't support hacking. But anyone with common sense can realize that if they are putting banner ads on hack sites that they cater to hackers.

There are some FTA manufactures that mainly cater to hackers also.

Look at how many clones and cheap FTA boxes area available now that an FTA box can be used to STEAL tv.

A bit of common sense and a bit or research goes along way.

RVD420 said:
I would not worry about buying a receiver that can't be hacked.

I would worry about who I bought the receiver from.

There are some less than honest FTA dealers that advertise on hack sites, but when you goto their site they say they don't support hacking. But anyone with common sense can realize that if they are putting banner ads on hack sites that they cater to hackers.

There are some FTA manufactures that mainly cater to hackers also.

Look at how many clones and cheap FTA boxes area available now that an FTA box can be used to STEAL tv.

A bit of common sense and a bit or research goes along way.

so true!

I got a receiver once from a company who was on the "up and up" and we're legal crap. So they send me the box then e-mail me (unsolicited) how to download software into it and where to get it.

I hit "delete" on the old e-mail :)

It seems what I am looking for is a DVB receiver which does not, by design, support the encryption standars or has a slot for a subscription card. I simply don't need a receiver with chip sets that support encryption. This makes sense given my complete lack of interest in subscription television.

Do such receivers exist?

So you’re looking for a box that will not be able to pick up any channel that might be encrypted and only pick up channels logged as “free”? That may be a bad thing. Here is why
On AMC4 there are some religious channels that are free but have a $ in front for some odd reason so it shows as scrambled. So if you do a scan of “FTA only” you won’t pick these up. But if you do one of “All” then they show up. Couple other channels are like that.

Most receivers do not have a card slot (only box I have out of my 9 that has a card slot is the Viacast 2000) so that’s a moot point.

How about the FTA'ers on a budget who buy cheap hacked receivers on Ebay and re-flash them with factory firmware (perhaps removing bugs and some failures along the way?)

I didn't go that way as it's a gamble (bought unmodified factory fresh myself) but I consider this legitimate FTA use. Buying them aiding a hacker?? *shrug* THAT one's hard to say, you'd have to read the seller's mind...

If one ever got a visit/letter from E* after doing this, (unlikely) then letting them try to view their scrambled programming (and failing with a "scrambled channel" message) plus pointed at mostly FTA satellites plus showing them factory firmware plus telling them who you bought from would go a long way towards defusing the situation.

Hakka TV shows as a $ on IA5 but is in the clear...

I did scratch my head over that but noted it for future referece, to *look* at scrambled channels (and letting the receiver tell you they are) before concluding they're actually scrambled.

A clever enough person could hack anything. Just stick with factory firmware and don't fret about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to watch unencrypted channels. That includes the ones that contain a $ that aren't encrypted. Looking for a generic, DVB receiver that does not support encryption.

If I could choose what it could do freely, it would support MPEG4 as well as MPEG2, DVB-S2 as well as DVB-S and 4:2:2 as well as 4:2:0, 8-PSK as well as QPSK. Alas, I digress, so would settle for MPEG2/DVB-S/4:2:0. Just a simple STB.

I have a Traxis 3500. It works/performs great!
I would highly reccomend one of these.
May be hard to find at the moment but be patient.
They aren't that expensive and are worth shopping around for.

patbelcher said:
I have a Traxis 3500. It works/performs great!
I would highly reccomend one of these.
May be hard to find at the moment but be patient.
They aren't that expensive and are worth shopping around for.

I AGREE! The BEST non hackable receiver out there :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.