Non-Penetrating Roof Mount On The Ground?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mikey11

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
canada
has anybody used this type of mount on the ground?.....would it be stable enough for a 6 foot dish?
im talking about the kind that you put large cement cinder blocks on it to hold it down....this would be alot easier than digging a hole here because the ground is extremely rocky and hard....opinions?

thanks!

on a side note that looks like a very big dish for that motor....how is it holding up?

10 ft

yes I have my 6ft dish on a NPRM using cinder blocks. unless you are in very windy location, you should be ok

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/228237-6-foot-dish-install-17.html#post2365582

I've used non pen mounts for 10ft dishes on top of hotels in areas that get winds of 70 mph. They are still there. Just takes a lot of weight for holding them down. I would suggest if you are putting one on the ground put wood (cedar, redwood, or treated) under them. other wise it will be rusting out in a few yrs.

share your stories & pix:

In the past, I've noted that several members have put their NPRMs on the ground.
Often using the one that came with the Prodelin 6' offset Ku dish.

I've given some thought to an 8' dish on exactly that same base.
Based on pictures posted, I was thinking about placing the whole thing on some sort of cement blocks, at least at the corners.
That should keep it off the ground and out of the wet.
However, what to put under the NPRM to keep down the grass/weeds, was a question I hadn't gotten to.

I guess one of the tricks is to keep the pole as short as possible, limiting the leverage the wind gets on the dish to tip it over.
That also keeps the dish low to prevent objections from neighbors, so it's a win-win. - :up

However, what to put under the NPRM to keep down the grass/weeds, was a question I hadn't gotten to.

There is a material which can be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot that is designed to be used in a garden to prevent weeds from growing with the desirable vegetation. I would imagine that this material could be laid out under a ground-installed NPRM to prevent weeds.

I have a similar problem with the poor man's NPRM that I have PortaBUD on. Since it is a wooden pallet, and my yard tends to flood during heavy rains, I have the pallet raised above the ground on 8 x 8 x 16" cinder blocks. Naturally, grass and weeds try to grow under the pallet. I have used Round Up to kill them, but this is only a temporary measure.

I don't recommend that stuff. It starts to break up after a while, and then you got pieces of plastic in your yard years after. If you are gonna use it, make sure you get the thicker stuff, and realize that one day you might have to move your dish to replace it. Then again though, it might not break up as fast in places further north.

There is a material which can be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot that is designed to be used in a garden to prevent weeds from growing with the desirable vegetation. I would imagine that this material could be laid out under a ground-installed NPRM to prevent weeds.

I have a similar problem with the poor man's NPRM that I have PortaBUD on. Since it is a wooden pallet, and my yard tends to flood during heavy rains, I have the pallet raised above the ground on 8 x 8 x 16" cinder blocks. Naturally, grass and weeds try to grow under the pallet. I have used Round Up to kill them, but this is only a temporary measure.
How about using the rubber material that these stores sell for making garden pools? It is heavy duty, a bit more pricey. I use a double layer of that material on my slightly sloped roof and it works great as roof protection.

heres a good mount I ran accross at an apartment

Here is one I ran accross at an apartment building...

rock.jpg

How about using the rubber material that these stores sell for making garden pools? It is heavy duty, a bit more pricey. I use a double layer of that material on my slightly sloped roof and it works great as roof protection.

That sounds like a great idea. I might try that when I move PortaBUD to cut a tree limb.

I don't recommend that stuff. It starts to break up after a while, and then you got pieces of plastic in your yard years after. If you are gonna use it, make sure you get the thicker stuff, and realize that one day you might have to move your dish to replace it. Then again though, it might not break up as fast in places further north.

Asphalt shingles work great as an underlayment/weed barrier

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)