Non-penetrating roof mount

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Brabo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Is there any reason you can't angle iron a platform together and weigh it down enough (without coming through the roof) and straddle a gable peak on a roof if you don't want to put a post in your yard? I'm trying to get above some obstructions and think the roof will clear me. Oh, I'm thinking about a 7 foot mesh dish here. Too, I have a line on a 7 foot solid fiberglass dish, are they lighter than mesh? Thanks

If you never get ANY WIND it may work, although you would need an awful lot of weight for a 7' dish. And, worst of all, it the dish moves a fraction of a cm you will no longer track the ark and the dish will be useless. I wish you luck!

The use a mount like that on some gas stations here. Looks like they sometimes put 5 or 6 cinderblocks on each side of the peek. But those where with smaller 30 or 40" dishes.

cralt said:
The use a mount like that on some gas stations here. Looks like they sometimes put 5 or 6 cinderblocks on each side of the peek. But those where with smaller 30 or 40" dishes.

And fixed-mount, single sat, too.

Brabo said:
Too, I have a line on a 7 foot solid fiberglass dish, are they lighter than mesh? Thanks

AVOID the fiberglass dish. You can never tell what the condition of the internal mesh is. They do good bad.

Fiberglass dish, how to tell if they are bad?

When you say they go bad, does that mean gradual signal loss? I'm not sure what benefit the fiberglass offers, must there be a metal component to reflect the waves or since trees can intercept waves couldn't a pure plastic or fiberglass dish w/o metal reflect waves? I guess I don't understand one of the basics of dish function. Thanks

There is mesh embedded in the fiberglass. The mesh can break down and/or the fiberglass can delaminate, distorting the surface of the dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts