Noob question... cable installation

vitriol

Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
So I'm planning to sign up for Time Warner cable (LA/Sherman Oaks area). Digital in the living room, and ideally analog/basic in 2-3 other rooms in the house.

All rooms are pre-wired for cable.

My question is: do I need to pay TWC to "activate" the other outlets in the house (for analog/basic), or will they already be live?

Seems to me that if a cable feed is coming into the house, all outlets should be live, no?

Anyone know about how much it costs to activate additional outlets (for analog/basic)? If I have to pay for each add'l outlet, maybe I should just get digital in each room?

(PS: I know I can do the splitter thing, but I want a clean installation -- don't want to have to deal with drilling, running under carpet, etc.).

Many thanks in advance. :up

Well when Time Warner was in Orlando, before BHN took over, Installation was free and it included the activation of all pre-wires in the house. The only reason you pay for an extra line is if the installer had to run it themselves, and even then in some case's you can get it free to depending on what you agreed to when signing up.

All outlets will be live, there's no way they can control it besides physically disconnecting each outlet.

Most cable systems that I've dealt with will activate 3 or 4 lines. Regardless if they're existing or not. If more lines need activated or installed, they tend to charge extra.

Sounds to me the best way to find out is to actually call up your cable co. and ask.

The only way you can "activate" a line is to activate the digital box on it. For analog cable, every line is live. I'm not sure what the original poster referred to splitters for because when his house is prewired, all of the lines go to a splitter anyway.

They will only charge you for an outlet if they need to run it for you. So if you need another outlet, run it yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)