Noob question regarding rear hookups

Needa916

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
I posted the same thing in 2 other forums, but got no answers. This one seems to be the biggest, so I hope better luck here...so here is the cut-n-paste

I am getting Dish next week. They are giving me a HD receiver. On the back of the receiver, there is a DVI output and a component-out. My rear projection TV has 2 HD inputs in the back (see pic below). One is the component and the other is RGB.

My question is, is there a DVI to RGB cable I can get to hook up the HD receiver? I am asking because the component-in on the back of the TV is taken already by the DVD player. Or would it be better to buy a component splitter (if there is such as thing), and switch between the DVD player and the receiver?

Another question is the TV defaults to the 16x9 ratio on the HD inputs. It will not allow any other modes (such as 4:3 or "panorama") like I can currently do on the non-HD inputs. On standard broadcasts, everything will be "squashed" right? Will I even be able to view the standard channels on these "HD only" input? The manual says these HD inputs only accept 480P and 1080i connections. Will I have to connect a seperate S-video to watch regular TV?

Attachments

• untitled.GIF
    untitled.GIF
    14.2 KB · Views: 167
First your DVD isn't High Definition so connect it using "S" video and use the Component for HDTV. Second let your DISH installers set your TV to their product and show you how to operate it on your TV.

Thanks for the reply. I know 480p isn't HD, but watching a DVD using a s-video in 480i is disgusting. Colors are washed out, and it just looks crappy. Maybe I just have to do that...thanks.

I know the 921 will output RGB, so the DVI-VGA cable will work. I am not so sure it's the same for the 811. Does anyone have this configuration with the 811?.

"Another question is the TV defaults to the 16x9 ratio on the HD inputs. It will not allow any other modes (such as 4:3 or "panorama") like I can currently do on the non-HD inputs. On standard broadcasts, everything will be "squashed" right? Will I even be able to view the standard channels on these "HD only" input? The manual says these HD inputs only accept 480P and 1080i connections. Will I have to connect a seperate S-video to watch regular TV?"

The HD receiver will up-convert the SD channels to 1080i. You should be able to use the receivers remote to change the aspect ratios.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts