Noob questions about locals/clubdish/TV2

zim2dive

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Cary, NC
Sorry, I'm sure this is basic stuff.... I'm 90% certain I want to switch over from TWC.. just too little HD content on TWC, no matter how much you are willing to pay. With the Bronze HD deal, its a break-even by my calcs after 18 months. I would
also plan to get the HD DVR (622 I believe)

a) I've seen a few references to being able to get $50 off (and they get a referal bonusof some knid).. what's the best way to track one of these discounts down? (or have I misunderstood what I've read).

b) for locals... reading over the DVR pdf, it appears it can pull in OTA HD? what is the "locals" ($6/mo) fee for? I am paying to have those come in over the sat link vs OTA? If I can pick them up OTA is there any reason to pay the locals fee?

c) again, looking at the DVR pdf, it supports an SD TV2. I have my cable split right at my TWC DVR right now and feed it off of the coax output of the 8300HD (and feed my TV from the component outs of the 8300...) so I have a 2-TV solution right now (sort of... as long as I don't connect HDMI the DVR will send to both TVs at once, and since I'm the only viewer, there's no contention)... it apepars I can connect that same coax line to the TV2 out of the 622 to my SD TV upstairs (point to point connection). How does the remote TV control the 622? Do they supply a remote? (or is that extra?). (I currently have a "leapfrog" remote extender that I use). I won't have any need to display different things on each TV... so in the discussion I've seen I'm not clear on the terminology for which "mode" this would be, and just wanted to be sure it would support at least the functionality I've described.

Thanks,
Mike

In answer to (b):
1) Yes - the 622 has an digital/HD OTA tuner, so you can view and record the OTA HD channels to the Hard Drive in the 622.

2) Paying for the "Locals" gets you SD Locals from the Sat, and - IF you happen to live in an area where E* is providing HD locals - also gets you HD Locals from the Sat.

3) Reasons to pay for "locals" if you can pick them up OTA:
- Its the only way that you get program info in the Guide for your OTA channels, which makes it much easier to record these OTA channels
- You can then record 3 network HD channels at the same time, one from the OTA HD locals, and 2 from the Sat HD locals
- You have a backup in case your antenna fails for some reason.....

In answer to (c): Your setup should work the same. The 622 comes with 2 remotes; one IR remote for use in the same room as the 622, and a RF remote that you can use from upstairs to control what you're seeing out of TV2

Last edited:
zim2dive said:
Sorry, I'm sure this is basic stuff.... I'm 90% certain I want to switch over from TWC.. just too little HD content on TWC, no matter how much you are willing to pay. With the Bronze HD deal, its a break-even by my calcs after 18 months. I would
also plan to get the HD DVR (622 I believe)

a) I've seen a few references to being able to get $50 off (and they get a referal bonusof some knid).. what's the best way to track one of these discounts down? (or have I misunderstood what I've read).

Thanks,
Mike

Mike--I think you PM'd me and I replied with basic info on the Club Dish deals. They can be confusing, but I found the most recent offer that expires Jan 2007, but there is also one expiring June 30, 2006, which is on a Club Dish Gift card I got in the mail, which numbers I can also relay to you--if you want to know that offer, PM me with your email address and I can send you an image of the actual card and promo information. I see I can attach a jpg to this messsage, which I will try to do and see if it works--click on the thumbnail--the fine print is not that visible, so I can still email you a better resolution or you can download the image and enlrage it in your photo editor program.

Attachments

• ClubDishOfferto30June06.jpg
    ClubDishOfferto30June06.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Yes - you get the guide data for the OTA digital channels even if you are only getting the SD locals from the Sat. This is the way it worked for me prior to the Wash. DC HD locals going on-line.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts