Noob with questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FCWC

Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
Al
So I am a new to satellite tv.
I don't see a general post forum or any other FAQs about all this on here.
I am just another person completely fed up with paying the $ that cable companies (Direct TV and Dish Network are included in that) charge. I mean most of what I watch is on public TV with a few exceptions. I do like watching Chelsey Lately on E and I do like watch HDTV sometimes. Everything else is CBS/ABC/NBC (sides boxing and True Blood)

I thought why not look into a satellite system.
I see the page for the tracking coordinates etc. But where do I go to find out what is on what?
Is it possible to get HD via a FTA system?
Is it possible to subscirbe to HBO and Showtime ?

Don't expect to be able to subscribe to anything , and you won't be disappointed. There is probably more on C-band , as far as regular programming, than on Ku band. I get quite a bit with a 6 foot dish.
99% of all the HD is in special event feeds and sports feeds. NCAA basketball will be big until spring, then baseball will take over. These are all feeds, and you have to search for them, so a motorized dish is needed and a blindscan receiver preferred. Don't expect an FTA system to replace a commercial subscription, but I rarely watch my big DTV sub, since my interests are on the HD feeds. [edit] Let me recommend NCAA women's volleyball, for good looking action. I'm watching one right now in HD.
:)

Don't expect to be able to subscribe to anything , and you won't be disappointed. There is probably more on C-band , as far as regular programming, than on Ku band.
:)

I've been an satellite fan, installer in the 1980's and sold large and small dish systems. Recently, I moved into "Free to Air" while maintaining a small amount of subscriptions on the W-5 Satellite.

In my opinion, its an EXCELLENT time to get into Free to air. SUBS for home use are moving to W-5 at the first of the year on C-band, and the above quote seems correct. Between my FTA on C-band, and a ROKU box, I subscribe on W-5 but to what I want, not huge packages predetermined by cable or small dish companies. FTA makes up the rest!

Look into a dish system with capability of C-band as well as Ku preferably motorized to access many satellites. you WON'T be disappointed, and some of the network feeds will look better than you'll get over the air!

You'll find many helpful threads on selection of dishes, receivers, options, and the gang here is very helpful and polite.

Welcome to the forum!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)