Noobie Question

darkzone

Original poster
May 23, 2007
I have 2 TV and digital cable box. Is there an alternative to renting a 2nd box from the cable company ? I would rather buy one. Any suggestions thanks,

Well, you can buy a TiVo series 3, pay for TiVo service, and rent 1 or 2 cable cards. You also have the choice of buying a TV/external tuner with a cable card slot and then renting a cable card from TWC.

While you can find and buy cable boxes on eBay and such, cable companies are under no obligation to allow a purchased box to operate on their network. They are obligated to make a cable card device work and offer cable cards at a reasonable rate.

You can use a splitter sending the signal to the 2nd set. However, you will get only the analog channels, typically only up to ch. 100. I am feeding 3 additional sets this way.

FAYRICH: I have done this before and you are rite u can only get 1-100 channels but i was thinking if i can some how get the digital channels

terryfoster: Can this be done on a PC which is turned into a PVR..?

Well, alternatively you can run a second video output from the one box you rent to the second tv, but you will be limited to the programming being viewed on the one box.

I'm not aware of any PC based cable card solutions, currently, but some may exist or are being developed.

The trick is you need a way to let TWC know you're authorized to view their encrypted (digital cable) content. You need either a cable box or a device that can take a cable card. Without a cable card and just simply a QAM capable ATSC tuner, you can get some channels that are unencrypted, but those are generally local channels and some that may pop up and disappear.

I have a LG hard drive recorder with a built-in QAM tuner. Purchased this off EBay in hopes of being able to record HD off cable. I am able to do so with 3 of 4 local digital stations. But that is about all. A few odd-ball things come in, but nothing worth while. However, it does receive and record all of the analog channels under 100.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)