Normal for Norsat 3420 LNB to last only 15 months in corrosive area

dish_dish2

Original poster
Aug 28, 2019
Marshall Islands
Hi. My location is 167 degrees E, 8 degrees N in the Marshall Islands, a baseball's throw away from the ocean and the extremely corrosive, salt-filled winds it brings. We use >8-feet C-band dishes with Norsat 3420 C-band LNBs. These are high quality units, from what I gather--though I'm not a tech or engineer. But unfortunately, our LNBs keep crapping the bed after less than 2 years use--sometimes only 1 year. Based on ya'lls experience, does this short lifespan sound about right for these LNBs? Does anyone have any recommendations for how to extend their lives, such as any useful "hood"-like contraptions/materials that protect from UV and salt spray without impacting signal strength? Thanks!

Hi. My location is 167 degrees E, 8 degrees N in the Marshall Islands, a baseball's throw away from the ocean and the extremely corrosive, salt-filled winds it brings. We use >8-feet C-band dishes with Norsat 3420 C-band LNBs. These are high quality units, from what I gather--though I'm not a tech or engineer. But unfortunately, our LNBs keep crapping the bed after less than 2 years use--sometimes only 1 year. Based on ya'lls experience, does this short lifespan sound about right for these LNBs? Does anyone have any recommendations for how to extend their lives, such as any useful "hood"-like contraptions/materials that protect from UV and salt spray without impacting signal strength? Thanks!
I believe the common practice for most these days is to leave them uncovered due to heat build-up and bee invasion. :rolleyes: In your case it appears the elements are a greater problem due to your proximity to the ocean. First off, make sure all connections are being properly sealed from the elements. If you can find a true cover that fits I would give that a try. If you can't then I have seen threads here where people have used modded plastic waste baskets and buckets, milk jugs, plastics bags, even saran wrap. I wish you luck in solving your problem. :)

Reactions: charlesrshell
This should have been posted to the FTA forum rather than the forum support forum.

Is it possible that the problems are more electrical (crazy line power) and less related to electrolysis?

If it is electrolysis, you need to add some manner of cathodic protection (a magnesium or zinc block) to the mix. A boat shop may be a good place to start.

Reactions: charlesrshell
:welcome to Satelliteguys dish_dish2!
I'm moving this to a more appropriate forum for you.

BTW, isn't everything a baseball's throw away from the ocean on the Marshall Islands?

Reactions: raydio
Do you install a gasket between the feedhorn and LNB? Without a gasket, water will enter the LNB from outside the feedhorn.

137-Full-Gasket-3-1.jpg

Is the feedhorn throat cap still in place? This will limit the amount of air circulating in the cavity. You might try a cap with few or no holes to further limit the air circulation.

CC0061-New.300.jpg
www.dawnco.com/auto_links/Photos300/CC0061-New.300.jpg

Does your install have a feedhorn cover? RPS Satellite www.rpssat.com still used to sell a NOS Sami feedhorn cover for $45 CDN. Maybe they might have an orphan remaining? In the absence of a real cover, re-purpose a plastic pail or bucket.

tumblr_lr139q1AY31qi6cve.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)