CBS Newspath Live Channels Leaving Satellite

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kofi123

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 13, 2014
Minnesota
Reactions: spongella
Makes me wonder about some things. Obviously transitioning to IP from satellite is not cheaper or there would be a mass exodus from satellite. But still there is competition that would drive down the price of satellite transmission. This would make it more available to less affluent interests. Another thought, when a satellite has an issue the load is transferred to another satellite. What happens when the internet breaks? ;)

Worked on a broadcast the other day that was using LiveU, which was using bonded cellular to send out the conference.

Well unfortunately they didn't test the building before hand and the video kept dropping out, pixelating and turning to digital garbage for over half the event. The bonded cellular didn't work too well.

All because the events promoters didn't want to pay for satellite time.

IP is not the cure all for transmitting anything. And imagine if something happens and the servers go down, or there is some kind of attack that takes out the backbone. Where is your news coming from then?

Similar to ABC's transition of their live news channels off of 91 W Ku and onto the internet using TVU Grid later this summer, CBS announced a deal with LiveU earlier this month to transition their CBS Newspath live channels off of 99 W Ku and onto the internet using LiveU Matrix. CBS's expected time frame for leaving satellite appears to be similar to ABC's; that is, sometime this summer.

https://www.multichannel.com/pr-fee...gement-and-liveu-hardware-based-hevc-encoding

Well this sucks. I spend most of my FTA time watching those feeds :(

The really big bugaboo with any Internet is that somewhere along the line it's going to use a cable of some sort, most likely fiber, and those cables are much too easy to accidentally (or on purpose) dig up. Like last June in Carolina or a couple of years ago when they dug up a newly laid fiber backbone about 15 miles from here. Then there's the increasing vandalism of fiber like in CA in 2015. Earlier this year someone cut the underwater cable feeding Tonga and the whole country lost Internet (and everything else). Interestingly the Tonga situation was relieved by using satellite. Isn't that funny. What do you do if there isn't enough business to make satellites cost effective any more? What's the fallback plan then? There are many more examples of why putting all the eggs in the Internet basket may not be the intelligent, reliable way to go, especially if your business depends on it.

Reactions: N5XZS and spongella
The really big bugaboo with any Internet is that somewhere along the line it's going to use a cable of some sort, most likely fiber, and those cables are much too easy to accidentally (or on purpose) dig up. Like last June in Carolina or a couple of years ago when they dug up a newly laid fiber backbone about 15 miles from here. Then there's the increasing vandalism of fiber like in CA in 2015. Earlier this year someone cut the underwater cable feeding Tonga and the whole country lost Internet (and everything else). Interestingly the Tonga situation was relieved by using satellite. Isn't that funny. What do you do if there isn't enough business to make satellites cost effective any more? What's the fallback plan then? There are many more examples of why putting all the eggs in the Internet basket may not be the intelligent, reliable way to go, especially if your business depends on it.

I'm afraid it all boils down to money. They are expecting a big cost savings and that seems to trump any other reasoning.

Reactions: raydio
You really can't blame the networks for this. News is such a small part of their total operation now and NewsOne/NewsPath are mainly used to feed segments to affiliate stations that can just as easily be done over IP or even downloadable clips. I'd say it is rare that any local affiliate uses the real time feeds to pick up a live event now that the network isn't airing network wide as a Special Report. Any major events are going over the network feeds anyway.

I'd say it is different for NBC (who has to supply MSNBC and their other overseas news operations) and CNN/Fox News who have to cover multiple networks 24/7. I would think it would be awhile before they would make a similar move, but I might be wrong.

LiveU is all over the place now. I can't remember the last time I saw one of our local stations out covering a live event with their satellite truck. Everything is either LiveU packs or microwave.

There was a segment on 60 Minutes last night about how Norway is keeping an eye on Russia in the North. Russia has a super quite sub that is very hard to detect. They did an interview with a military guy who was saying that this sub way a real threat to the gazillions of fiber internet cables between NA and Europe. All Russia has to do is take out that backbone and the internet will be crippled for years.

However, space is not all that safe with space junk and all. Our satellites are more at risk now than they were just a few years ago. I'm sure that Russia and other "actors" have killer satellites that they could use against us. Don't worry though, if doomsday ever comes, there is always the old stand-by...two tin cans and a string -

Reactions: danristheman
There was a segment on 60 Minutes last night about how Norway is keeping an eye on Russia in the North. Russia has a super quite sub that is very hard to detect. They did an interview with a military guy who was saying that this sub way a real threat to the gazillions of fiber internet cables between NA and Europe. All Russia has to do is take out that backbone and the internet will be crippled for years.

However, space is not all that safe with space junk and all. Our satellites are more at risk now than they were just a few years ago. I'm sure that Russia and other "actors" have killer satellites that they could use against us. Don't worry though, if doomsday ever comes, there is always the old stand-by...two tin cans and a string -

Yes, the internet is more fragile than people think. In fact the electrical grid is, too. Remember a few years ago when a short circuit in Ohio caused the entire Northeast to go dark?

Reactions: olliec420
Actually there is an over abundance of fiber...very easy to route around fiber cuts

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Source? Again, what makes you an expert? You drop into these threads with one-liner responses that half the time make no sense. State your credentials or stop acting like you know everything.

Actually there is an over abundance of fiber...very easy to route around fiber cuts

While there is an abundance of fiber and many options for domestic and international signal routing, these are controlled by privately held corporations. It is often not in their best interest to provide alternative routing to support a competitor.

Source? Again, what makes you an expert? You drop into these threads with one-liner responses that half the time make no sense. State your credentials or stop acting like you know everything.
I make myself the expert(lol).. i have a vast indepth knowledge of fiber networks...most vital networks have a primary and secondary connection that take diverse paths...unless a major catastrophe happens a fiber cut should not affect things...however many local stations are cost concience to uplink facilities such as dish or direct and only use one connection thus are vulnerable to a cable cut

While there is an abundance of fiber and many options for domestic and international signal routing, these are controlled by privately held corporations. It is often not in their best interest to provide alternative routing to support a competitor.
Depends if the subscriber wants to pay for it...its that simple

Reactions: Titanium
IP is not the cure all for transmitting anything. And imagine if something happens and the servers go down, or there is some kind of attack that takes out the backbone. Where is your news coming from then?

Heh...it isn't coming from the MSM and hasn't been for me for several years now but that is a different topic. Alternate media verified by independent sources is pretty much my standard now except for local channels covering local type stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts