Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chewie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
California
Hello Gents
I have 2 Norsat Dro Lnb 8115 on my feedhorn and I want to increase my SQ, my question to the members here is if the Norsat PLL lnb can do better and improve the SQ.
I would appreciate any comments.
Thanks in advance.
Regards.
Tunder

Depends on what you are attempting to receive. PLL LNB performance is similar to DRO on standard fat transponders. Typically you will only notice improved BER on PLL conversion with signals requiring signal stability, such as narrow bandwidth (low SR) and critical FEC ratios and higher modulations.

Reactions: phlatwound
Actually the particular LNB you have has a very low phase noise, better than most PLL LNBs. Good PLLs have a better long term frequency stability, but that only helps find low SR signals because the apparent reception frequency wanders less than with a DRO. But that will not help you lock tough signals. Low phase noise will.

Do you have a single orthomode feed or a dual orthomode? If the latter a single will get you 0.5 - 1.0 dB more CNR. Have you compared your reception with a receiver plugged directly into the LNB at the dish instead of the house? If there's a difference, you might be able to improve your signal distribution to improve the in-house reception. Beyond that all you can do is tweak your dish.

Reactions: phlatwound
Hello Gents
Thank you for your comments, I have a new setup feedhorn with 2 lnb for c-band and 2 for Ku-band, I am getting lower SQ % compare when I had my dual band feedhorn, I still get lots of channels.
One of the problems that I can think is that the new Feedhorn does not match my dish F/D ratio and I am not sure how to make it work better because of this issue.
Regards.
Tunder

You're never going to get the same performance form a C/Ku feed that you'll get from a C band only feed. At this point with all the 16 and 32APSK and the performance demands they impose I'd never again consider a C/Ku feed unless the dish was larger than 12 feet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts