Not an April Fool Special - $79 Mercury II - Satellite AV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm thinking of doing FTA, but very much a novice. I have 31-31" dish, can I use a LNB from DTV OR DISH & do I need some king of motor to rotate the dish, or leave the dish stationary. Thanks

Check the List-link at the top of page....for a good idea of what's there. Cable-or pay tv channels are encrypted and that includes the local channels they uplink too. Sometimes you may find a wild feed during a news emerg or bad weather, but normally no locals in the clear.

can I use a LNB from DTV OR DISH
no. They are circular and you need Linear.

& do I need some king of motor to rotate the dish, or leave the dish stationary. Thanks
you can leave the dish stationary, but then you are stuck on one satellite unless you move it. A motor is a better option :)

where to get motors, dishes, LNBs...

Motors... dishes... LNBs...
SatelliteAV, one of our Gold Sponsors, selling the Mercury II receiver for this special, has a web site full of all that stuff.
Go look at his other hardware.
It's about as good as you'll find, and you save a bundle on the receiver.

I've ordered three times from him during 2007 (maybe four), and was quite pleased each time.
For anyone wanting to get into FTA, this is a real no-brainer opportunity. - :up

is this receiver good for someone starting out in the hobby? or would it be better to get a package deal with the receiver and the dish and motor..

Is this receiver going out of business because there is a newer one on the way?

I doubt the co is going out of business, this model has been out for a couple of years or so, and this company already mades many other models to sell. This one just has most of the features people seem to want, from all accounts it is a very sensitive tuner and has very good blind-scan abilities. Probably one of the most popular standard def receivers there is.

Unless you're going to spend some money on a HD box that blindscans and supports DVB-s2, you should get the Merc II. It's a very complete SD receiver, and will probably be useful for a number of years, yet. I won't be buying any more boxes until the Passion hits North America and is evaluated here. Then, I'll be looking for a DVB-s2 , HD box, with blindscan and USALS support. I expect that new box will be a lot more money than $79.95 delivered.

:)

Brent

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts