Not Getting HD Channels on DirecTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

A36Pilot

Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Hello. We just finished pointing the Slimline-5 dish and am getting signals from satellites 101 and 110. My buddy says we should be getting HD channels from satellite 110, but am getting only SD channels. Are we pointing at the wrong satellites? We're in Great Falls, MT. Any help for a couple of amateurs would be appreciated.

What are the signal strengths for the 99 and 103 ? That's where the HD channels are located ? What receiver do you have ? Did you call and subscribe the DIRECTV HD channel package ?

Hello johns70: There are no signals from satellites 99(c), (s) and 103(s), (ca) and (cb) - (what do the letters signify?). I guess we are pointing at the wrong satellites for HD channels? Do you have any suggestions for my buddy, the installer, for pointing our dish? What channels are on 110? I have the HD DVR Model HR23-700. Yes, I am subscribing to HD thru DirecTV. Thanks.

The c and s designate the spot beam and CONUS satellites. The a and b are for the two sat at the 103 position.

Report the signal strengths for all satellites.
Is the 5LNB dish selected in satellite set up?

I'm guessing you are pointing at the wrong satellite. For the Slimline you should look at 101. 110 doesn't have any hd anymore. In fact, there aren't any video channels on 110. The hd channels all come from the 99 and 103 satellites.

Hello. We just finished pointing the Slimline-5 dish and am getting signals from satellites 101 and 110. My buddy says we should be getting HD channels from satellite 110, but am getting only SD channels. Are we pointing at the wrong satellites? We're in Great Falls, MT. Any help for a couple of amateurs would be appreciated.

Why not get a professional to set it up correctly instead of this way?:rolleyes:

A pro would know what satellites you need to point out, would probably use a signal meter to point at them, and you would be less likely to suffer from rain fade when it's peaked correctly.

it you are getting the 101 & the 110 you are probably point in the right direction ... ... what recvrs are you using ...

it you are getting the 101 & the 110 you are probably point in the right direction ... ... what recvrs are you using ...

Posting #3 in the thread says they are using hr23-700.

I'm guessing they don't have any BBCs connected to the receiver.

Why not get a professional to set it up correctly instead of this way?:rolleyes:

A pro would know what satellites you need to point out, would probably use a signal meter to point at them, and you would be less likely to suffer from rain fade when it's peaked correctly.

Why don't you find something better to do with yourself in Spring Grove, PA on a Sunday Morning?:rolleyes:

Why don't you find something better to do with yourself in Spring Grove, PA on a Sunday Morning?:rolleyes:

:up

As for the original poster. Make sure you have you BBC's on the box:

Google Image Result for http://salestores.com/stores/images/images_747/SUP2400.jpg

That should bring your HD satellites in for you(99,103).

No more HD on the 119, and 110.

If that doesn't do the trick, you either aren't aligned correctly, or have los issues, or something else unknown without more information is going on.

The HR23 doesn't need the bbcs. I'm betting on a misalignment.

Hello. Thanks for the responses. I'll try to answer all queries. 1) Satellite signal strengths: 101 - 72% to 91%; 99(c) - all 0's; 99(s) - all 0's; 103(s) - all 0's; 103(ca) - all 0's except for 1 transponder at 19%; 103(cb) - all 0's except for 4 transponders ranging from 22% to 24%. Even though some of you have said I should not be concerned with the following satellites, I have included their signal strengths anyways: 110 - 77% to 85%; 119 - all 0's. 2) The following are my inputs on the Satellite Dish Setup screen: Dish Type - 04 Slimline-5; Switch Type - 02 Multiswitch; Tuners - Dual. At the bottom of the screen there is a line that says not to connect any B Band Converters. Consequently I have not connected any BBC's to the receivers. 3) The receivers being used are an SD DVR Model R16-300 and an HD DVR Model HR23-700. Both units are receiving all SD channels but the HR23 is not receiving any HD channels.

Based on your input I am guessing we should be aligning the dish to 99 and 103. Are there any idiosyncrasies of which we should be made aware when aligning the dish?

Many thanks.

Your alignment is definitely off. Being in Florida, you should be getting signal levels in the low 90's & up (except for the spotbeams).

Did you read the alignment procedure in the dish manual? You can use the receiver meter in a pinch.

Just stating a fact.....with professional installation and the right knowledge for the job you wouldn't have been with out HD for at least 24 hours. I admit I have no idea when it comes to peaking a dish so I'm not afraid to ask for a professional so I can watch what I paid for when I want to.

Do you get any signal from the 119 sat? it sounds like your tilt is off, the 99 and 103 Sats are very sensitive you should get signals on 101/110/119 with the SL5, and then fine tune the 99/103 sats, thats how I do it without a meter....

Just stating a fact.....with professional installation and the right knowledge for the job you wouldn't have been with out HD for at least 24 hours. I admit I have no idea when it comes to peaking a dish so I'm not afraid to ask for a professional so I can watch what I paid for when I want to.

Just stating another fact.....some people like to learn how to do new things like installing and aligning a DIRECTV satellite dish.

Another fact.....Call an installer and they might say - The next appointment I have open is 2 weeks away. No guarantee you'll get an installer to come over when you want to.

I have similar problem with my HR20 connected to a SWM. 99 & 103 signal is above 90% but channels are not HD. A I missing something to adjust.

I have similar problem with my HR20 connected to a SWM. 99 & 103 signal is above 90% but channels are not HD. A I missing something to adjust.

Do you have a favorites list set up. If so, have you added the missing channels to it?

channels aren't missing, they are just not in hd.

Unless I'm watching hd & it's not as good as cable & fios hd.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts