Not good...

Conjuror

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 4, 2004
I don't like the tone in this article but I can't rule it out either. As I said so many times, Voom must differentiate itself from the competition if they want to stay in the game. That means, in my opinion, offering the best possible HD PQ with unbeatable bit rate (or whatever it takes) to have much better HD PQ than any other DBS.
I soooo don't want to drop Voom but if competition offers more, why not?

Research Group Preditcs VOOM's Failure
Wednesday, September 15 @ 11:00:00 PDT

Research firm Diffusion Group, predicts that DirecTV's HD service will boom, but VOOM's HD service will suffer a miserable death.

From the press release:

A new report from Dallas-based research consultancy The Diffusion Group predicts that DirecTV's recent announcement to deploy four new HD-capable satellites over the next few years will spur cable competitors to rapidly increase their HD offerings. At the same time, and despite this new energy among DBS players, upstart satellite and direct-terrestrial-television provider VOOM will likely be reduced to licensing HD content, be absorbed by another HD producer, or declare bankruptcy by year-end 2005.

"With DirecTV expanding its HD offerings with four new satellites, the Company will have the capacity to deliver 1,000 additional local and high-definition channels as well as 150 national high-definition channels," says Scott Kipp, contributing analyst with The Diffusion Group. "This will put DirecTV in an excellent position to grab a significant portion of the 70 million U.S. households that will be "HDTV-ready" by 2007."

Conversely, HD upstart VOOM is doomed. VOOM's recent SEC filing was intended to prepare Rainbow Media (the parent company and subsidiary of Cablevision) for spin-off as a separate company with its own publicly traded stock. The spin-off was originally scheduled for September pending SEC approval. Somewhat interesting was Cablevision's claim that only by spinning-off Rainbow Media will Cablevision be able to "reverse this trend and grow our customer base quickly and significantly."

The VOOM service - launched less than one year ago - has attracted only 29,000 subscribers, far short of the 200,000 pledged for year-end 2004. After the Company announced price increases and a reduction in equipment subsidies during Q2 2004, subscriptions decreased and churn increased. VOOM posted losses of $36 million in Q1 2004 and $61.6 million in Q2 2004. Q3 2004 losses are expected to exceed $80 million.

In general, DirecTV's announcement to enhance its HD offerings will prove a necessary competitive impetus, especially among cable operators. As Kipp suggests, "Given the lack-luster diffusion of HDTV to date, the industry must focus on improving (1) the production and availability of compelling content, (2) the accessibility of HD equipment and services at reasonable prices, and (3) awareness among mainstream consumers as to the unique value of HDTV.

TDG's latest report, HDTV Service Providers: Competitive Analysis & Forecasts, profiles the various HD services currently offered to U.S. consumers; examines the competitive dynamics underlying service expansion; and forecasts both service adoption and HD technology diffusion through 2008.

HDTV Service Providers: Competitive Analysis & Forecasts is now available for purchase on the Company's website, www.tdgresearch.com.

I saw the article here.

Directv has downrezzed and cut the bitrate on some HD channels. SO whats your point? Many at AVS say that HDnet movies is no better than DVD quality now. And in my opinion it will never come back. The new launches will be filled with HD LIL and more HD distant networks. The will not be used for improved PQ. And when Rupert needs to squeeze in that last HD LIL he will downrezz the rest.
Remember who owns FOX? and the hi resoulution widescreen king? Rupert the last to go 9mbps downrezzed 720p HD as the owner of FOX and D*

doesn't DirecTV's announcement sound like a Microsoft type press release where they try to convince people not to use their competitors better product because in a year or two we'll offer what they offer already? How does D* promising 150 HD channels sometime in 2007 change the fact they only have 7 national channels today, and two of them get overly compressed because of lack of bandwidth. Voom has over 35 HD channels and has plans in place to bring that number up to 96 in 2005. In areas where people can get locals in HD OTA, the rest of what D* is promising to do is totally irrelevant.

No you shouldn't, but I think all these economic analysts are busy dancing on the D* horrible PQ bandwagon a bit too soon. As vurbano said, if D* becomes the "HD LEader" I'm a little disturbed by that idea, considering that Rupert doesn't give a rat's behind about PQ or HD in general.

Dvlos said:
No you shouldn't, but I think all these economic analysts are busy dancing on the D* horrible PQ bandwagon a bit too soon. As vurbano said, if D* becomes the "HD LEader" I'm a little disturbed by that idea, considering that Rupert doesn't give a rat's behind about PQ or HD in general.
They may become the leader of 1280x 1080 resolution but thats not high definition. 1920x1080 is.

This is the same information provided by the SEC filing on 9/2. There's no new insight information on this. I am going to merge with that thread.

Why just not to delete or merge every negative comment about Voom?
This is ridiculous. Why don't you just let people read the article and make the topic go away on its own?

How many new subscribers during past couple of months Voom got since there was no negative comments about here?

Conjuror said:
Why just not to delete or merge every negative comment about Voom?

That's not the point. The point is that this has been discussed to death already in another thread that included these type of articles. All saying the same thing that the SEC filing was saying without any new insight.

take a look at it for yourself New info in SEC doc filed 9/2

The SEC filing has more negatives than this article. We kept it for two weeks as a sticky. Then all these different analyst articles started appearing saying basically the same thing and not providing much.

Go ahead, move it, I don't care. I know that right now I wouldn't drop WorldSport for a zillion DirecTV's NFL tickets.

Conjuror,
when D* gets 150 HD original channels (not HDLite, per vurbano) and V* is dead we will switch to D*. Until then there is no point in switching to D* for HD experience.

All of this still indicates to me that I need a good OTA no matter who is supplying my HD. At least then I will get some bandwidth for a few shows. Of course, until all the subs eat up the network bandwidth.
I'm glad I had HD for a couple years. At least w/the old PBS stuff I know what HD was suppossed to look like, until everyone started abusing it.

that's actually one of the reasons I signed up for V* - because as part of the install, they fixed my OTA problems on NBC-HD.

andrzej said:
Conjuror,
when D* gets 150 HD original channels (not HDLite, per vurbano) and V* is dead we will switch to D*. Until then there is no point in switching to D* for HD experience.

I am not suggesting switching, am I?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts