Not happy, being forced to leave Dish.

I know how dish handles such situations. No wonder they are rated as one of the worst companies in customer service. The only hope you would have is one of the DIRTS here. They are the only ones who really help in situations like this.

I live in Los Angeles and installed the eastern arc myself. Looked for ConUS locals and got it.Alternatively if you can get 129 using a wing, then that would be the best solution with a mixed arc. At that time I had 118.5, 61.5, 72 and 77

I've since changed to 110/119/118.5 and 72. Mixed arc but it works perfect. My locals are on 129 but there are HD locals on spot 110

UPDATE:
The tech came out to install the EA dish and 129 wing. Unfortunately, he did not have the equipment on the truck to do it. The good news is that the tech who came out to help realized that the original tech was totally wrong in his analysis and that my original thought of a wing dish with my existing WA dish would work fine. So they installed a temporary dish for the 129 and scheduled a pole planting and cable bury for two weeks later (today). Today I take my wife to the hospital for a treatment and hurry home to wait for the tech. A little before 8 I get a call narrowing the time to 9:45-11. That is fine as it still fits my schedule but a bit after 9 I get a call cancelling the appointment and asking to reschedule for later this afternoon or tomorrow. This afternoon wont work as I have to go get my wife and I have to work tomorrow. I call Dish and am told they have nothing till the weekend of the 12th. Unfortunately, I can't plan that far out as I do not know my work schedule. So now I have had a temp dish install for two weeks and am looking at a minimum of two more. Add a dead Hopper to the mix and I am not feeling the love for Dish right now. At least I get a good signal on my remaining Hopper and Joeys.

UPDATE:
The tech came out to install the EA dish and 129 wing. Unfortunately, he did not have the equipment on the truck to do it. The good news is that the tech who came out to help realized that the original tech was totally wrong in his analysis and that my original thought of a wing dish with my existing WA dish would work fine. So they installed a temporary dish for the 129 and scheduled a pole planting and cable bury for two weeks later (today). Today I take my wife to the hospital for a treatment and hurry home to wait for the tech. A little before 8 I get a call narrowing the time to 9:45-11. That is fine as it still fits my schedule but a bit after 9 I get a call cancelling the appointment and asking to reschedule for later this afternoon or tomorrow. This afternoon wont work as I have to go get my wife and I have to work tomorrow. I call Dish and am told they have nothing till the weekend of the 12th. Unfortunately, I can't plan that far out as I do not know my work schedule. So now I have had a temp dish install for two weeks and am looking at a minimum of two more. Add a dead Hopper to the mix and I am not feeling the love for Dish right now. At least I get a good signal on my remaining Hopper and Joeys.

I agree with a PP, contact DiRT. Back when I got my original install they installed 2 dished for my 2 hoppers, and insisted this was the only way. I got the run around with the installer until DiRT took care of it. Then low and behold they sent another installer out who installed the right switch and removed the extra dish, and all worked as planned.

I get a great line of sight to the Eastern Arc birds. The issue is if I will get any of the networks. I do not care where they originate from but must be able to get ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX. It is this inability that is causing the issue.
In which DMA are you?
Roanoke, Charlottesville, DC, or Richmond? Dish does not offer locals from the Harrisonburg DMA
Roanoke gets locals from the 129.....RIC from both 129 and 61.5
Same with DC....

I agree with a PP, contact DiRT. Back when I got my original install they installed 2 dished for my 2 hoppers, and insisted this was the only way. I got the run around with the installer until DiRT took care of it. Then low and behold they sent another installer out who installed the right switch and removed the extra dish, and all worked as planned.
hang on..There have been a few instances where I had to install two dishes in order to get the services for which the customer paid.
I did this out of good customer service practices.
It took a bunch of additional time and effort on my part.
Please do not leave the members assuming that a second dish install is some kind of short cut. It isn't.

Requiring a 2nd dish is very rare, isn't it? What "common" circumstances would dictate it? I know many years ago that a national PBS feed was only on 61.5 and unless the customer requested it or asked why they weren't receiving it, Dish didn't install that 2nd dish. This was also before dishes saw more than two satellites (i.e. 110/119 or a Dish 500).

Requiring a 2nd dish is very rare, isn't it? What "common" circumstances would dictate it?.
LOS. When I first got HD after a few years of SD service, installer declare the "original" dish position on our roof could not "see" 129, so we installed a second dish for 61.5. A few years later our HD locals became available on 129 and I almost switched to Directv.(their sat at higher elevation) Dish offered to send out a tech to see it the dish could be re positioned to get all three WA sats. And they did it!!

Yes, I am covered by two spot beams. One is Harrisonburg VA and the other is Richmond VA. I even fall well under Washington DC. Harrisonburg is 35 miles away, Richmond is 65 and DC is about 95. My zip code is 22923 even though that is in another county. I have been told by numerous Dish reps that they will not move me without a tech verifying my new address.
That is correct. Dish uses the Nielsen system to identify which communities lie in which DMA's......The zip code is the key. And the municipality by which the zip code is identified takes precedence. For example. Your Zip is for Barboursville.
Now Barboursville's center lies in Orange County which is in the Richmond DMA. The zip code however actually crosses three counties. Orange, Albermarle and Green.
Green county is in the Charlottesville DMA..
In which county is your address? This is an odd situation. Not one I have experienced in 12 yrs as a tech.

I just do not get why, if they do not offer "my" locals on the arc I can actually see why they can't provide me with alternatives. I could understand if I wanted another market for personal reasons but in this case, they can't provided me with "my" locals. This is what is so frustrating to me.
You want the short answer?.
Money.. As in ad money. The more TV households in a DMA the higher the ad rates tv stations can charge. And contrary to popular belief that TV stations are flush with cash, these stations need every single tv household they can keep. So, broadcasters have lobbied to make sure their potential viewing audience numbers are protected.
Hence the reason why there are no legitimate alternatives.
At this point, you can try calling Dish and give them a physicial address in either Orange or Albemarle County and tell them your mailing address is still the same.

hang on..There have been a few instances where I had to install two dishes in order to get the services for which the customer paid.
I did this out of good customer service practices.
It took a bunch of additional time and effort on my part.
Please do not leave the members assuming that a second dish install is some kind of short cut. It isn't.

In my case the second dish install was wrong, either he did not have a duo node or did not know any better, but in any case it was wrong. I was talking specifically about my install and my experience with DiRT, I never said 2 dishes was a short cut but that my install was wrong, and DiRT got it taken care of.

UPDATE:

I knew something like this was going to happen.

For some reason techs don't like doing pole mounts or burying cable.

All they do is pawn it off to another tech, or for another day.

I have been doing this for 17 years. When I run into this situation, it's called going to Home Depot, getting a pole, bag of cement and maybe buying a post hole digger and getting the job installed, closed, finished, done and over with.

You know how many post hole diggers I have at my store because I was an hour away from the office and just wanted to close out a job? There must be a dozen that I have bought over the years.

My techs do the same dam thing to customers and it just pisses the hell out of me.

It's not just a 'dish' issue, same issue with Directv, Exede, and Hughesnet.

Even comcast installers have a problem understanding the simple concept of burying the cable after the job is complete.

My dish aiming and setup are not the issue anymore. The current setup has he on my "normal" WA with the wing dish pointing at 129 for my HD and Locals. The reason for the wing is to get a good LOS to 129. The others are fine on the old dish. This is what I had hoped for in the first place and, other than not having it permanently mounted, I am totally happy with the solution. My only complaint at this point is how long it took to get a tech who knew how to set it up and the length of time it is taking to get the pole mounted. To be fair, I see the same thing at my work and with other service related companies. It is hard to keep the good techs as they are lured away by higher salaries or better working conditions and there never seems to be enough time to train the new people because of the workload. I try my best to keep my anger aimed towards the corporate level and not the techs as, in the vast majority of the cases, they are doing the best they can with the amount of training they have been given and the number of jobs they are expected to do in a day.
As I said though, at least I have a good strong signal now so my wife can watch her shows. That is by far the biggest thing so I can live with the rest.

Requiring a 2nd dish is very rare, isn't it? What "common" circumstances would dictate it? I know many years ago that a national PBS feed was only on 61.5 and unless the customer requested it or asked why they weren't receiving it, Dish didn't install that 2nd dish. This was also before dishes saw more than two satellites (i.e. 110/119 or a Dish 500).

I would say not common? If you are on the Eastern Arc and want the international channels that would be two dishes. As mentioned line of sight another.

I have been doing this for 17 years. When I run into this situation, it's called going to Home Depot, getting a pole, bag of cement and maybe buying a post hole digger and getting the job installed, closed, finished, done and over with.

You know how many post hole diggers I have at my store because I was an hour away from the office and just wanted to close out a job? There must be a dozen that I have bought over the years.

My techs do the same dam thing to customers and it just pisses the hell out of me.

Even comcast installers have a problem understanding the simple concept of burying the cable after the job is complete.
How does "Dig Safe" affect your trip to Home Depot? Doesn't that require 72 hrs. advance notice?

Reactions: Bobby

How does "Dig Safe" affect your trip to Home Depot? Doesn't that require 72 hrs. advance notice?

I would say not common? If you are on the Eastern Arc and want the international channels that would be two dishes. As mentioned line of sight another.
Yes, if a customer gets international programming that would do it. I was initially thinking of western arc customers and they simply get a dish that adds that slot, does it not ?

With line-of-sight, doesn't that often just mean no Dish service and the tech walks away ? Unless the customer insists, that's often the end of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)