Not so good news for 3D

Nintendo is getting farther and farther behind on their technology. Their new WiiU is barely going to be as good as the PS3 and 360 are now.

Actually I was more interested in the rest of the article that talked about not just Nintendo, but the overall 3D market.

And that seems to be declining in popularity.

If you have your eyes opened, this should not be a surprise. The only reason I bought a 3D set is because you have to if you want choice, ones without it are not numerous, and rarely are top end. 3D Blu-ray players are stacked high and wide at the stores, at least in Ct. when I went TV shopping. Sales are so bad the newest LG 3D Blu Ray player with Wifi was briefly at $139 when they hit the stores, and Best-Buy dropped the price to $114, less if you bought it at the same time as a TV.

After Avatar, Blu-ray interest back to normal | MyCE.com
The relevant fact here is that 3D blu ray sales are so low, because no one is buying 3D players. All the manufacturers have to find a way to sell everything that is 3D at the same cost as 2D to keep the media alive. But even then the economy is preventing any bust out of sales.

I'm not quite convinced it's all doom however. The economy being so bad, has to be hurting 3D, most people are not going to buy a 3D player if they already have a good blu-ray player, or even a good DVD player. If 3D can make it to a better economy and not be more expensive than 2D there is hope.
Also, there is some 3D available online that smart apps on a TV can stream, most notably movies from Vudu, and LG has it's own 3D shorts. Combine that with 2D to 3D, which makes anything into 3D(ish) and maybe there will be more interest. I actually find 2D to 3D on the LG with passive technology not bad for some shows. Once you learn to get the best setting it really is approximating 3D, though not to where something comes out of the screen at you. In particular Ice Road Truckers really does benefit from 2D to 3D. To my eyes when the scenes are outdoors is when 2D to 3D seems to work the best.
That said however, for me it's still not must have, more fun to use sometimes.

I would classify the failure of The Nintendo 3DS as a failure of the 3D Technology.

If you have ever used a 3DS you would probably understand why its a failure and the different technology that is in use here.

I am happy more and more 3D movies are being released on BLURAY, I just wish they would make movies that were natively shot in 3D, and not just movies which were converted from 2D to 3D.

3D is SACD/DVD-A, roundabout. Plenty of people enjoy it, it is a cool option, but most don't care. I've barely gotten friends and family on blu-ray, let alone 3D.

Sure, us passionate satguys are on the bleeding edge, but considering the majority of Directv subs are still SD. I dont think 3D is that big. Might change, might not, what you have though is haters and lovers, and neither of you are right IMO at this moment.

Scott- Yes, I looked at one in the store and in 5 minutes playing with it laughed at such a piece of crap. The reason it failed is because it was a lousy implementation of 3D for the cost. But just because Nintendo is a failure does not mean the industry and genre of 3D is a failure. Overall the growth of the company- all tech products combined is no worse than the biggest success stories in 3D, namely Sony, LG, Samsung, JVC, Panasonic, and IMAX3D. The one company that embraces 3D in a big way that has not suffered the dismal growth as a company in the past 3 years is Disney.

I don't know where we got this notion that anything less than 100% is a failure but I never said that everything has to be 3D. I never said everything has to be Blu Ray either. never said everything has to be HiDef either. So, when a dual release movie only gathers 32% of revenue from 3D, I look at that as amazing acceptance for a 3 year old resurgence of the genre, especially since they charge customers a premium to see the 3D movie.

Also, I have no problem with any movie that is released in converted 3D. No, it will never be pure 3D look but some of the conversions today are simply amazing. I don't have to view the movie knowing it is a conversion and if things were done in 3D then it would be better. I have the same attitude about movies shot in digital 4k cameras vs. film. It's the story, stupid! That is what you learn in film school. If your story sucks then it could be shot in twin Panavision cameras and still suck. As long as the conversion does not violate 3D space with collisions and reverse imaging and the story is engaging, I am a happy viewer. Therefore I look forward to the Star Wars series in 3D conversion and wish the Star Trek series would get funding for the same. We are so lucky to have some of the biggest names in Hollywood and around the world embracing 3D, both to create new and to convert the old!

Remember the press is against 3D, have been since the start with much misinformation and out and out lies...

The press is a combination of news, editorial opinion, and advertising based story content. The trouble is the average viewer doesn't have the smarts to know the difference.

Don- I am uploading my Valley of Fire documentary and will soon send you a link. It's a full HD quality 3D optimized for passive monitors 23 minutes long so the files are huge.

The press is a combination of news, editorial opinion, and advertising based story content. The trouble is the average viewer doesn't have the smarts to know the difference.

Don- I am uploading my Valley of Fire documentary and will soon send you a link. It's a full HD quality 3D optimized for passive monitors 23 minutes long so the files are huge.
This was excellent, watched on my active set with no problems... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)