Notice compression on my 720P locals

nytevizion

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 13, 2004
While watching football or baseball on my Fox local HDTV channel, I visually notice compression in the video as to where on ABC I notice a much clearer picture and no noticable compression. FOX broadcasts in 720P while ABC broadcasts in 1080I. My monitor only supports 1080I, so the 720P broadcasts are upconverted to the 1080I format. Is the compression that I am seeing a result of the conversion on my end, or is FOX just compressing the video on their end? Anyone else notice this? Its very noticable on the large solid colored objects, such as the grass playing fields or background billboards...

Are you sure ABC is 1080i? As far as I know there is only 1 1080i ABC stations with ite being in Dallas, TX. All the rest broadcast in 720p.

Please describe the compression you are seeing. Is it blocking, pixelation or moire effect?

I'd say here in the Denver area, I would switch that around. ABC, I tend to see either compression and/or upconverting artifacts, and FOX seems very clear and the better picture.

Whoops sorry Guys, Kev is right... ABC IS 720p. It was CBS who I was supposed to be comparing Fox to...Anyway...

My locals I receive OTA via antenna directly.

The visual effect I am refering to is somewhat hard to explain. Its almost a blurring effect and only noticed when the camera is fairly still. You can almost see the compression update approximately twice a second steadily. It resembles the look of bad internet video on websites, but just a little bit. Im 99% sure that its some sort of compression but not knowing how my receiver works when upconverting, makes me unsure of where its comming from. I just find it odd that when receiving a signal directly OTA from FOX's tower that they would compress it... Especially on a home game.. Would I be accurate to say that all digital video is compressed in some sort of way or is HD supposed to be frame for frame accurate to the very last pixel? :confused:

Fox has a steep learning curve to catch up with ABC. FOX has major artifacts visible on widefield shots like "dancing grass" and softness in spots, like Dish SD overcompression artifacts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts