novice needs antenna advice

gtwnovice

Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
I recently purchased a new LCD HDTV (sony kdl xbr6). The TV reception with an indoor antenna is awful. I would like to mount a rooftop antenna to pick up UHF/VHF signals. I live in Phoenix (85012) about 13 miles from signal towers for most or all stations. I live in single story residence near several churches with tall steeples. No other tall buildings nearby. I would need signal for one or at most two televisions.

I would like to hook an antenna into the coaxial cables run for cable television. I don't get cable but have access to the box.

1) What would be a good antenna in my situation?
2) Will it need a power source? Inside? Outside?
3) Is there any problem with routing the signal through the existing and unused cable system?

I'd like to keep the set up simple.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

1) What would be a good antenna in my situation?
2) Will it need a power source? Inside? Outside?
3) Is there any problem with routing the signal through the existing and unused cable system?
1. A Channel Master 2016
2. No power source needed
3. No problem, use a spliter.
Good luck.
Bob

Try a Radio Shack U75-R, only $30 at RS and you can easily return it if you don't like it, but it should do everything you need - aim it almost due south and enjoy.

Try a Radio Shack U75-R, only $30 at RS and you can easily return it if you don't like it, but it should do everything you need - aim it almost due south and enjoy.
Note that the U75-R is UHF only check:
TV Fool - Home
for your location to see if you need the VHF channels 7-12 after February 17, 2009. If you have VHF channels then you will need something like the CM 2016.
Bob

I have a U-120 and my analog VHF high channels come in just fine...all our Minneapolis digital channels are on UHF

our Fox & NBC (9 & 11) digital channels are moving to the analog spots on 2/17/09 so I hope the U-120 works fine then