Now that Direct has PBS HD what are the odds Dish will follow?

Dish is still behind in Phoenix in local HD terms,with PBS Directv now carries every local HD channel in Phoenix including KTVK, MNTV and CW.

KTVK was added because they had Diamondbacks games in HD before the team went cable only. Now they have all their news and a bunch of syndicated HD and rival the network stations in the amount of HD.

The MNTV station airs Phoenix Suns games in HD and was added to Directv and cable when they went HD.

I doubt that Dish will carry PBS HD until they can either carry one national feed for all customers

This brings up something that bothers me. Every time someone suggests that Dish carry the national PBS feed (which is, BTW, unscrambled, if you have an expensive HD receiver), the argument against it has been that the local PBS stations would lose revenue. But why, then, do Ion and the various Hispanic channels that have terrestrial stations not object to Dish carrying their national feeds instead of the local ones, even in markets where they do have local stations? Certainly PBS has a higher viewership than any of those, but they should all be equal in the eyes of the law.

Dish only gives national feeds of minor nets when there is no local affiliate (at least that's the way it's supposed to work).

Not ad supported

This brings up something that bothers me. Every time someone suggests that Dish carry the national PBS feed (which is, BTW, unscrambled, if you have an expensive HD receiver), the argument against it has been that the local PBS stations would lose revenue. But why, then, do Ion and the various Hispanic channels that have terrestrial stations not object to Dish carrying their national feeds instead of the local ones, even in markets where they do have local stations? Certainly PBS has a higher viewership than any of those, but they should all be equal in the eyes of the law.

The local PBS stations have to earn 60% for their own local supporters. The affiliate agreements are different for PBS than the commercial TV stations. BTW there are areas where D* only has part of the LIL due to not coming to terms w/ local stations also.

Get the antenna.... best HD you'll watch! :)

I have to agree.

Added two different rooftop antennas for more recording options. OTA picture quality is much better and allows for recording three programs at the same time plus the ability to watch a fourth previously recorded program.

Get the antenna.... best HD you'll watch! :)

Myth. Or at least slightly exaggerated...

I have an antenna that I put up a month ago. Some of my local broadcasts come from one direction (in highly directional UHF) and one of the others broadcasts from an angle 90 degrees different.

I have a fairly decent antenna yet can't tune them all without rotating the antenna and this just isn't going to happen for me. If I wanted to rotate my antenna (and make both of my dvr's useless for these channels) I would have never picked up a satellite dish and receivers.

So yeah, the quality is better SOMETIMES but this situation is far less than ideal for many of us, even if we put up an external antenna.

Still waiting. And waiting. I really get angry when I have to watch some of the great shows like the Boston Pops or Great Performances in standard def. Of course I cannot complain too bitterly, as we just got our other 4 HD locals for Duluth, Minnesota a few months ago and it has been pure heaven compared to the awful standard-def feed we were getting! But I do love the music and performance specials on PBS.

This seems to be the newest thread on the subject, so I suppose there isn't much news on this, though I have heard of the national PBS feed on DirecTV. Can anyone tell me what's going on with PBS on Sat (especially Dish)? Thanks.

PBS is the reason

Still waiting. And waiting. I really get angry when I have to watch some of the great shows like the Boston Pops or Great Performances in standard def. Of course I cannot complain too bitterly, as we just got our other 4 HD locals for Duluth, Minnesota a few months ago and it has been pure heaven compared to the awful standard-def feed we were getting! But I do love the music and performance specials on PBS.

This seems to be the newest thread on the subject, so I suppose there isn't much news on this, though I have heard of the national PBS feed on DirecTV. Can anyone tell me what's going on with PBS on Sat (especially Dish)? Thanks.

Having worked for PBS I know that they are not gonna be forth coming on letting most people get them other than OTA. It has to do w/affliate model. Now if E* starts carrying PBS as LIL.

Why should PBS should be expected to allow a national feed when ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CW, etc, do not?

I'm not against a national feed, but PBS should not be expected to provide one until (and if) the rest of the networks do.

To many people (including me), PBS is the most important of their locals.

Let me tell you, the HD version of PBS in Phoenix on Directv is terrible. The picture and audio breaks up constantly. I reported it to them many months ago and they said that they knew about the problems but all this time later, they have never fixed it.

I think that the reason Directv added all the HD local channels is because the HR21 and above no longer have an OTA tuner.

I remember reading somewhere that Dish wants to carry local PBS HD channels, but PBS demands that Dish carry all the digital channels. One of my local PBS stations has 4 digital channels - 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4. It broadcasts HD intermittently on 3.1 and 3.4. I get two local PBS stations via Dish that broadcast a total of 8 digital channels. PBS argued that Dish must carry all 8 channels to get HD. Dish argues that they have the capacity for one HD channel, but not 8 digital channels.

I remember reading somewhere that Dish wants to carry local PBS HD channels, but PBS demands that Dish carry all the digital channels. One of my local PBS stations has 4 digital channels - 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4. It broadcasts HD intermittently on 3.1 and 3.4. I get two local PBS stations via Dish that broadcast a total of 8 digital channels. PBS argued that Dish must carry all 8 channels to get HD. Dish argues that they have the capacity for one HD channel, but not 8 digital channels.
Why didn't they make the same demand of DirecTV?

Why didn't they make the same demand of DirecTV?

That is a good question.

While I can not answer for all Comcrap channel lists, my local provider has all four channels of one of the three PBS affiliates in the area. They state they have no intention of carrying the others even though the two Dish carries have different programing.

The FCC has mandated that DirecTV and Dish carry all HD channels in any market that they carry any local HD channels. However, they have allowed them to phase this in over several years, and require a certain percentage of markets each year on Feb 17th - I believe the first target in early 2010 is 25 or 30%.

So, Dish Network will have local PBS HD in 25-30% of its HD markets in about 15 months from now.

Not quite. Smaller markets such as mine where there are only the big 4 count against that percentage. If Dish carries 150HD markets, and 75 of them are big 4 only (full power) then Dish has 50% compliance. But, I suspect they will be adding the secondary stations pretty quickly since they are finishing up the big 4, if there is room on the spot there is nothing to make them wait to pick up more stations. Markets that do not have room on their spots will be the ones that wait until later years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)