Now that Star Wars is coming on DVD (WS) ...

Dvlos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
... do you think any of the premium channels have access to a HD transfer of the film? Or even Voom (I wish) for their exclusives...

I don't know if it will be neccesary. The digital software area over at AVS has some folks that have obtained it already praising the PQ and SQ as reference quality. I'm rather excited. I haven't watched the original three in a long while because they are on VHS.

Dvlos said:
... do you think any of the premium channels have access to a HD transfer of the film? Or even Voom (I wish) for their exclusives...
Non-premium channels such as Voom and HDNet movies cannot compete against HBO or Showtime.

If the 480p transfer of these films were to be done in 1080i OAR don't you think it would still look hotness? Also, I know Voom and HDNet can't compete that's why I through in the (I wish!) it's a longshot, probably throwing more money than they can afford at it. Although in a hypothetical situation.... STAR WARS IN HD ONLY ON VOOM would probably grab some attention..heh.

Star Wars on VOOM wont happen for a while....I would think the next step is PPV. And since Voom doesn't have PPV your best shot to see Star Wars in HD would be on either DirecTV or Dish Net. Then I guess HBO , Showtime or Starz would get it next. I heard that the transfer onto DVD is the best ever. They spent tons of time making sure it looks the best it could look. For me however, you cant beat HD.

HBO and Time Warner(this is why they are on TBS every once in a while) has the rights for the next few years,there was a story a couple of years ago where they(Lucasfilm and 20th Century Fox) lumped all of them together,including 1,2,4,5,6 and 3 a year after its out

they are the Special Edition versions, so without the cantina scene, some of the key fx scenes have been revamped... I still enjoy them.

WOW :D :D :D

That's all I can say to describe Episode IV. At 27 years old this DVD looks better than any other DVD I own, including Suberbits! An HD conversion is barely neccesary, although very anticipated. Tonight is Empire Strike Back. I did a little sneak preview last night and this looks even better than A New Hope. WOW! (I just had to say it again.)

I have one of those Zenith 318 DVD players that upconverts to 1080i via Component and on the best transfers you can tell the diff. between it and HBO-HD,I can't wait to watch them on the big 10-footer,and what you said about the transfer makes me want to skip out on work now.

bruce said:
I have one of those Zenith 318 DVD players that upconverts to 1080i via Component and on the best transfers you can tell the diff. between it and HBO-HD,I can't wait to watch them on the big 10-footer,and what you said about the transfer makes me want to skip out on work now.
You probably wouldn't be disappointed.

FOX aired one of the SW movies in 480P widescreen OAR a while back (Phantom Menace) and it looked pretty good, maybe they'll do it again in HD when they are all up and running.

I finished watching the trilogy last night and they are by far the best DVD's I have seen.

I am not sure if those here know but Episode II was filmed in HD, Lucas said it saved about 3M on production costs, that one would be nice to see on Voom or anywhere in HD for that matter. I'll take OTA as long as it is FOX!

Well no more SW excitement until May ...

Episode 2 was on HBO-HD this summer, it wasn't OAR and suffered from some pixelation. However Episode 2 and Lord of the Rings non-OAR didn't have the PQ issues that most movies get from cropping, it was still cropped though so you lost elements.

Did you guys notice some of the subtle changes in the films? Some of them correlate to the new episodes. By far this is the best DVD I have ever seen. The sound effects were off the wall impressive... why don't all studios/directors love their films this much?

I know some of you have Xbox's and the Star Wars Battlefront demo on the DVD is great, been reading good reviews about it, so I'm getting it this weekend also. Then comes 2 more Star Wars games, Knights of the Old Republic 2 and Republic Commando. I only got an Xbox for the first Knights and haven't been dissappointed with it at all.

by the way, has anyone watched all the extras? They are all made for 16x9, freaking nice touch.. no strechy nothing... I loved the extras on this more than any other movie I own.

Dvlos said:
by the way, has anyone watched all the extras? They are all made for 16x9, freaking nice touch.. no strechy nothing... I loved the extras on this more than any other movie I own.

I am checking out disc 4 tonight I think. There were quite a few changes even from the edited re-release a few years backs. They are beautiful. I missed EII on HBO-HD ... why on earth would they change the OAR for an HD film ... who runs these stinking stations anyway?

HBO is all cropped all the time, no questions asked. StarzHD is OAR on somethings, the only ones that seem committed to OAR HD at the moment is Showtime/TMC but they have weaker movie offerings IMO.

Comparing Showtime OAR to some other channels the PQ is noticeably better in most cases. However Episode 2, I really can't say (aside from some macroblocking during some explosions) non-OAR and OAR PQ suffered, it was pretty amazing the detail you can see for EP2. I guess even though the prequels aren't as engaging as the originals, we still have Lucasfilm to thank for incredible CGI, and pushing digital movies out there, there really is no comparing EP2 to anything else right now.

That extra's "Building the Empire" is nearly 3hrs long. I started watching disk 4 at 7pm and it didnt' finish until 10. Wow, looked great too.

I then watched disk1 and man did it look and sound great. Kept thinking that I was spotting new things, but I'm not sure if its 1997 changes or new.

Here are the changes that I know of some are not deliberate:

ANH - Luke's saber is green when he practices, this was not deliberate, it seems that the color and film enhancing techniques the quality of DVD is showing this, this way, for the first time. I think originally it was more white, and of course when Obi Wan gives him the saber for the first time and on Empire Strikes back it's blue.

ANH - Han Solo and Jaba the Hutt scene have been improved dramatically. Jaba looks better, and Han's shadows are more enhanced.

ANH - Obi Wan vs Vader - green flashes of light instead of white, same thing with the sabers listed above.

ANH - Many people spotted the goof where the stormtrooper bangs his head on the low door, Lucas threw in a sound effect for the mistake now. Nice nod and poking fun at himself.

ANH - Matte lines on a properly calibrated TV are totally gone IMO, and in 1997 I thought the difference between the new CGI elements and the old models was like night and day, for some reason it seemed to me those lines were blurred. It also seemed to me like the Death Star was CGI, because the detail as the Millenium Falcon was approaching it was outstanding, no confirmation on this though.

ESB - James Earl Jones redid some of his lines, including "I am your father" (damn I should have spoilered that in case you haven't seen the movies... yeah right).

ESB - More Matte line improvements

ESB - The scene between Vader and the Emperor completely redone. The "new" emperor from the prequels did the scene. They also redid the dialogue.

ROTJ - Mattle line improvements

ROTJ - Final scene they insert Naboo in as one of the planets celebrating the fall of the Empire.

ROTJ - Hayden Christiansen fades in as "Anakin" at the end. The reasoning according to the DVD commentary (I haven't heard it just read another's post) is that, the last time Anakin was "Good" was his 22 year old self, so remains that way as part of the light side of the "Force".

That's all I got so far. Remember, these are additional changes FROM the 1997 Special Edition release.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts