NPD has standalones neck and neck!

True, but those articles were dated in January. This is from Feb 2nd. And more to the point it points out that BD standalones are considerably more then what the posts in that thread pointed out. You asked for a link and you said I was wrong -- guess I wasn't!

That was thru December. At the end of March you will see that BD will be leading in standalone sales. Especially with the Pioneer BD coming out. High End Theater enthusiasts are going to really like the Pioneer BD. Of course it might be delayed again but Pioneer says it will be out in March and we shall see.

JoePS3 stated that BD standalones were outselling HD DVD standalones.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=88757

The supporting document does no validate his claims. Close, but no cigar.

What the supporting document shows is that after HD-DVD launched in June and the defective Samsung launched 2 months later in late August HD-DVD only held a 4% sales advantage at the end of December. For the months of November and December BD standalones must of outsold HD-DVD standalones almost 10 to 1 considering that in October HD-DVD held a 4-1 sales advantage in standalones. Simple math, since November BD has been outselling HD-DVD by a considerable margin. Any other conclusion could not be proved mathematically. So, do you really believe that without the titles people are going to run out and purchase a HD-DVD player over the BD player?

Reason for my post was that HD-DVD fanboys keep bringing up pre-November 2006 news and other posts that use that information to supply disinformation. The bottom line is that BD is out of the gate and running. There is no white knight to save HD-DVD because the numbers are on the BD side. Heck, just the number of BD release over the next 3 months will overwhelm the consumer when they go into any store and look over high def movie availablity.

I will concede that HD-DVD 52% vs BD 48% shows that BD thru the end of December proves that HD-DVD is ahead on standalones if you will concede that since November 2006 BD standalones have been easily outselling HD-DVD standalones. If you don't agree with that show me your math?

What the supporting document shows is that after HD-DVD launched in June and the defective Samsung launched 2 months later in late August HD-DVD only held a 4% sales advantage at the end of December.

Dang! My XA1 is even more valuable before than I thought - I bought it before it even existed! :eek:

HD DVD launched in April, 2006; it was the Samsung BD player & the first lousy Sony BD movies that launched in June. (For inquiring minds, I purchased my XA1 (with a February 2006 build date) in early May.

Nitpicking? Probably, but when you open a statement with glaringly inaccurate statement, it casts doubt on the rest of the statement. :(

Videobusiness article. Dated 2/9/07.

Interesting read.

"Sony is so confident that Bishop said the studio plans to begin marketing the format to consumers as the winner of the format war."
- That's nothing new; Sony has been claiming Blu-ray won the format war before either format launched.

"Also, the top titles on Blu-ray outsold those on HD DVD during the first three weeks of January. Lionsgate’s Crank sold 7,500 units on Blu-ray, compared to HD DVD’s top seller for the period, Batman Begins, which sold through 4,100 units, according to studio sources."
- With the top selling BD title selling a whopping 7,500 copies, this format war is a long way from being over

"On eProductWars.com, a site that tracks sales of both formats through Amazon, Warner’s Feb. 13 release The Departed, is the top-selling high-definition movie on both formats for the past 30 days (on pre-orders), with the Blu-ray version ranking as the 36th top-selling product and the HD DVD version the 45th as of Feb. 8."
- Doesn't sound like BD is outselling HD DVD 2 to 1 to me, when studios release decent titles in both formats.

I have to admit to wavering: I drasticly reduced my HD DVD purchases since December (opting for renting instead through Netflix) and briefly looking into going 'format neutral' by adding a PS3 to my system (decided no way), I'm confident in HD DVD surviving. I've ordered 8 titles in the past week & a half. "The Departed HD DVD has already shipped. :up

Last edited:
"On eProductWars.com, a site that tracks sales of both formats through Amazon, Warner’s Feb. 13 release The Departed, is the top-selling high-definition movie on both formats for the past 30 days (on pre-orders), with the Blu-ray version ranking as the 36th top-selling product and the HD DVD version the 45th as of Feb. 8."
- Doesn't sound like BD is outselling HD DVD 2 to 1 to me, when studios release decent titles in both formats.

What else do they have to buy??

- That's nothing new; Sony has been claiming Blu-ray won the format war before either format launched.

Yep, I agree. Sony may be pulling another "stupid." They are their own worst enemy.

- With the top selling BD title selling a whopping 7,500 copies, this format war is a long way from being over

Again, yep. This summer will be interesting. IF BD keeps widening the gap thru the first quarter, AND sales continue growing or accelerate, then Blu-ray may have the appearance of having "won" and swing the large majority of the very important Xmas 2007 sales into their camp, solidifying their position. Or Sony may snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. With the projected titles releases thru the rest of the year being so strongly in favor of Blu-ray, it really is beginning to look like the race is Sony's to lose.

Doesn't help HD-DVD much, since so many titles (& so many blockbusters) will be Blu-ray only; and so few, and so few major releases, will be HD-DVD only. Not that many will be released on both. Spielberg pulling his releases from HD-DVD release really hurts.

I have to admit to wavering:

Heck, I'm so unsure, I haven't bought a player in either format. And I won't until things fall more into place, and I can get a reasonably priced full featured player. And that includes one with internet firmware updates.

What else do they have to buy??

You're consistent, if nothing else. :eek:

Well, besides The Departed, Babel, The Good Shepherd, Brokeback Mountain, The Architect, Lucky Number Slevin, Casablanca, The Hulk, & World Trade Center were my recent purchases. And I Netflixed Muntiny on the Bounty, Scorpion King, Poseidon, Clerks 2 & King Kong.

Of course, if I had decided to go with adding a game machine to my Home Theater System for watching BD, I could have gone for:

Crank (I Netflixed the SD DVD and was glad I didn't waste anything more than a slot in my Q on a movie that looked more like a music video made by someone with way too much methamphetamine in their system.

The Sentinel - Reviewed by HighDefDigest with comments including "Has Blu-ray developed a new kind of venereal disease? You might call it Talladega-itis, in honor of 'Talladega Nights,' which won my vote for the worst next-gen transfer of 2006. Way too dark, with the weirdest contrast I've ever seen, it was as if the telecine artists conducted the whole operation wearing those Blu-Blockers sunglasses you see on late-night infomercials" and gave the video quality 2 1/2 stars out of 5.

Broken Arrow - which I have to have seen a gazillion times on HD movie channels, and reviewed by HDD with "'Broken Arrow' hits Blu-ray in Fox's usual 1080p/MPEG-2 configuration, confined to a BD-25 single-layer disc . . . I found contrast and sharpness spotty."

I've never been one to try to spend the most money; I prefer to spend my money the most wisely. :eek:

They may arrive too late. Anyway, they will likely sell Blu-ray players as well.

There are some reviewers in the HD-DVD camp and some reviewers in the Blu-Ray camp. I take a cross section of reviews to determine if I want to purchase a title or not. In the HighDefDigest they almost always recomend purchasing a HD-DVD title even if the title does not get great reviews. I have seen them review a HD-DVD PQ with 3 1/2 stars and state the PQ is really nice and suggest a purchase and then rate a BD PQ title 3 1/2 starts and state that you do not want to buy this title because the PQ is not that great -- which is it?

As far as comparing one title released on both formats BD should always win that because there are more BD players when you include the PS3s sold in North America approaching 1 million (this includes Canada sales). What everyone here is not meantioning is while HD-DVD has 7 releases with 4 also released for BD, BD has had over 20 release only on BD in the same time period. Any of you HD-DVD cowboys want to poney up and add those sales numbers to the number of BD movie sales in the same time period? No, I guess not because then Bd would be outselling HD-DVD in total discs sold at least 3 to 1. Did any of you HD-DVD fanboys do well in math?

On another note -- folks spending a couple of thousand dollars on a new HDTV and Home Theater Sound system are not going to buy cheap - not fully functining chinese player for there home theater system to watch HD movies on. Folks at Walmart who are still buying SD tvs will buy them to play on their SD systems. Maybe Universal can get them to buy their combo discs and Warner can get them to buy their THD discs. The only way HD-DVD can survive is to go cheap -- and everyone knows the quality you get with Chinese lowballing product. I deal with it everyday in the small equipment market. People who know buy them and throw them away, more folks purchase this junk and then get upset when their $100 compressor or $60 18v drill can not be repaired. Guess which customers don't spend alot of money on their equipment? Same ones that will buy the cheap Chinese HD-DVD players. Don't expect these folks to be buying alot of HD-DVDs. They are the renters not buyers.

You're consistent, if nothing else. :eek:

Well, besides The Departed, Babel, The Good Shepherd, Brokeback Mountain, The Architect, Lucky Number Slevin, Casablanca, The Hulk, & World Trade Center were my recent purchases. And I Netflixed Muntiny on the Bounty, Scorpion King, Poseidon, Clerks 2 & King Kong.

Of course, if I had decided to go with adding a game machine to my Home Theater System for watching BD, I could have gone for:

Crank (I Netflixed the SD DVD and was glad I didn't waste anything more than a slot in my Q on a movie that looked more like a music video made by someone with way too much methamphetamine in their system.

The Sentinel - Reviewed by HighDefDigest with comments including "Has Blu-ray developed a new kind of venereal disease? You might call it Talladega-itis, in honor of 'Talladega Nights,' which won my vote for the worst next-gen transfer of 2006. Way too dark, with the weirdest contrast I've ever seen, it was as if the telecine artists conducted the whole operation wearing those Blu-Blockers sunglasses you see on late-night infomercials" and gave the video quality 2 1/2 stars out of 5.

Broken Arrow - which I have to have seen a gazillion times on HD movie channels, and reviewed by HDD with "'Broken Arrow' hits Blu-ray in Fox's usual 1080p/MPEG-2 configuration, confined to a BD-25 single-layer disc . . . I found contrast and sharpness spotty."

I've never been one to try to spend the most money; I prefer to spend my money the most wisely. :eek:

That is such an informative post. What you don't realize.....ohh well i will explain all the flaws in this post a bit later. Time ti study for a quantative methods test on tues.

But I do have time to say that the hulk is UNDOUBTEDLY one of the worst movies of all time!!!

Hpman, hell is freezing over..... JoeSp agreed with everything I said in one post on another thread, and now I am completely in agreement on one thing you said.

The Hulk sucked more than any other comic book movie I have EVER seen. Even the awful 70's ones..... Whoever decided that Ang Lee should direct the film should be fired repeatedly.....

Then again the only ones that seem to be able to do it right is Sam Raimi, Bryan Singer, Christopher Nolan (Batman Begins) and MAYBE Brett Ratner (I think my breakfast came back up on me for a sec with that last one). Now I hear that Nic Cage wants Eva Mendes to play She Hulk in an idea he pitched to the press..... Well, she'd fit the outfit fine... Might even be the best looking woman in green since Yvonne Craig on Star Trek....

A flood of BD and HD DVD torrents are coming.

Sony sez "The format war is over!"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)