Number of Receivers vs Whole Home

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stonecold

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
Directv La La Land
There is no official limit on the number of receivers I have personally dealt with accounts that have had over 27 receivers on them .

The 15 receiver limit is a limitation of Deca adapters and MRV content server. While it can only handle so many devices per MRV Network .

I hope this puts this subject to rest.

Also note that at some point between box 1 and box 27 our own version of a audit team will call probably about box 8 or 9 as the typical customer has on average 4.

On a curiosity standpoint, what does a call achieve?

I mean, I would image if a customer has a receiver in every house in the trailer park, this is how the call would go.

D* auditor ~ Mr Customer, are all the receivers located in your house?
Mr Customer ~ Yes
D* auditor ~ OK, have a nice day.

I mean it would be obvious the thief would lie.

I imagine SWM cuts down on a lot of fraud seeing that if one phone line is hooked up to any receiver or if there is an internet kit, then all receivers on the system are seen.

It would almost make sense to develop a swm version of the dual LNB and Mutisat LNB or just start putting up Slimlines everywhere.
It would be great if we could hook up Brod Band Decas on every system.

I dont know to be honest I think on average they are more sneaky then dish, I heard a rumor where they send techs out on " preventive maint. " service calls and they then verify all the boxes. But that is only a rumor I heard not fact very little is known about our fraud team.

They probably would get the card # off the receivers or something else. Thats what Dish does

Unfortunately, it's NOT quite that easy on DISH - the "#" they ask you about, is called the "loc ID" on a receiver info screen. Unlike the card or RID#, this particular # changes constantly at random, so it's NOT like you can keep a list of them on your account. (like you could with your CAM/RID#'s) When DISH audit calls you, you are required to go to EACH receiver & give them this number back LIVE to them, so obviously ALL the receivers must be working live where YOU can see them when they call If you attempt to put them on hold &/or if they hear you try to call somebody else (like on another (cell) phone, etc., they'll cut all your additional receivers off on the spot! (There's been many a complaints about the "DISH Nazi's" in the E* forums)

I doubt D* has such a system in place for their receivers...

I imagine SWM cuts down on a lot of fraud seeing that if one phone line is hooked up to any receiver or if there is an internet kit, then all receivers on the system are seen.

Considering how more & more people (including myself likely very soon) do NOT even have landlines anymore, it's NOT really going to help much at all. And since NOT everyone cares about the internet/on-demand stuff, the internet route won't, either.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it's NOT quite that easy on DISH - the "#" they ask you about, is called the "loc ID" on a receiver info screen. Unlike the card or RID#, this particular # changes constantly at random, so it's NOT like you can keep a list of them on your account. (like you could with your CAM/RID#'s) When DISH audit calls you, you are required to go to EACH receiver & give them this number back LIVE to them, so obviously ALL the receivers must be working live where YOU can see them when they call If you attempt to put them on hold &/or if they hear you try to call somebody else (like on another (cell) phone, etc., they'll cut all your additional receivers off on the spot! (There's been many a complaints about the "DISH Nazi's" in the E* forums)

I doubt D* has such a system in place for their receivers...

Considering how more & more people (including myself likely very soon) do NOT even have landlines anymore, it's NOT really going to help much at all. And since NOT everyone cares about the internet/on-demand stuff, the internet route won't, either.

1. the company has turn off all receivers off due to suspected fraud before in a instant. So that is nothing new. We dont need a location id system to turn off people. We just less nazi like about it thats all.

2. There was been a upward trend in callbacks from receivers both phone and internet, all do to SWM and someone having a phone line close to at least one receiver and the fact that people love free and giving them free internet connection kit they almost always go for.

3. Location id be cracked on multiple times those eyepatch wearing pirates figure out how to generate valid location idsso Dish audit team really only threat to 1. valid hard working paying customers and to idiot pirates ( account stacking is considered piracy )

I'm fully aware of how Dish does it ;) I've read enough on them

It would almost make sense to develop a swm version of the dual LNB and Mutisat LNB or just start putting up Slimlines everywhere.
It would be great if we could hook up Brod Band Decas on every system.

does this mean that if i have a phone line hooked to my h24 i can order something on my hr24 and it will go through?

does this mean that if i have a phone line hooked to my h24 i can order something on my hr24 and it will go through?
If you have SWM yes any Swm capable receiver when connected to a swm setup can use the phone line from any other swm box.

So if you have a d12 hooked up to a phone line then any other swm box be it r16 h2x hr2x can use that phone line to make calls out .

To add

The only thing you lose by not having a phone line attached to each receiver on SWM is caller ID.
You have to have a phone line physically attached to a receiver for caller ID to show up on that receiver.

That being said, caller ID showing up on my screen would be annoying to me.

To each its own, I love the CID on the TV :)
I only have CID on my main Tv as the there's don't have phone lines in the area and I have no desire to have it on them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)