Nvidia 3-way SLI

I find SLI a total waste, so now you know my bias. :D

edit: I should have read your link first.
I thought you were proposing the idea.
No, it's nVidia offering it.!

Wouldn't you need three PCIe sockets on a motherboard?
I've seen two.
Maybe I don't get out enough. :rolleyes:

But thanks for a good laugh.
I'll share that at lunch with my buddies.

happy holidays,

= SantAnole =

For very high-end gaming you need all the Gfx horsepower you can get. Beyond that there's little need for more than a single card these days.

As for three PCI-e, mine has four two x16 and two x1.

Cheers,

I dont know ANY game out there that you would need this type of setup to enjoy.. its playing for the "future", and then you are better off buying a top of the line new PC every 12 months than sticking out this far in the bleeding edge hoping it will work... unless you won the lottery and are just looking for ways to blow your money.

I wonder how much a good mobo + Video cards would cost. It can be anywhere from 1500-2000k on just video card+mobo if you are going to do the 3 way SLI. And I bet you need a damn good Power Supply.

I wonder how much a good mobo + Video cards would cost. It can be anywhere from 1500-2000k on just video card+mobo if you are going to do the 3 way SLI. And I bet you need a damn good Power Supply.
Looking at the nVidia website and the links to suggested/certified power supplies, the units certified for the 3 way SLI supply between 1100-1250W.
Dang, and here I am limping along with my 6800 GT. :(:D

There's a promotion for a 99 dollar trade in for the 700 series chip motherboard if you have the 680i board, but I just don't think its worth the money. Besides you lose your capacity to put a sound card in (which you can have when you pry it from my cold dead fingers). You could do water cooling setups but thats a lot trouble just to accomodate tri sli setups. I'll stick with the standard sli solution for now. I must admit, it was tempting though.

I found AMD hybrid Xfire more fascinating, this has great potential the idea of running integrated Graphics with surfing, productivity etc & then switching to discrete for gaming, HD decodes sounds like a great power saving feature. Article for those interested

AnandTech: AMD Hybrid CrossFire Preview: Making Two Slow GPUs... Not So Slow

A nice idea from the standpoint of team work to produce a sum greater than the whole, but the aspect of garbage in garbage out will still come into play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)