NYC locals in Bucks County, PA

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Scientific polls trump intuition every time.
Which basically means nothing.
That's why the 4 Southern county's of NY boarding northern Pa, are Trying to become PA.

Because even New Yorker don't like NY.
I would love the Scientific analysis of Nelson Media if that happend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

It means everything. You can be angry about it but your personal feelings projected onto others does not change the fact that scientific polling has been proven to be an accurate predictor of such things. BTW, there are 4 Pennsylvania counties that are part of one NY TV market or another. There are no NY counties that are part of any PA TV market.

This is not to say things can't change. If in one of the annual survey that will be taking place in the next few months, it's determined that your intuition and projected consensus is confirmed, the counties will be moved to their appropriate markets.

I will never understand this nonsense... Why can't the OP have both PA and NYC? If you can get it OTA, you should have it on cable and satellite. Those are your locals. Blah blah blah about scientific research. Common sense says give them what is there. If a network is missing, fill it in with neighboring cities. It's really not that hard. If you live in the middle of nowhere in the Rockies or other areas with large areas between markets, get the locals from the nearest or city or cities. It's really not that hard but they have made it so.

Reactions: PP123
I will never understand this nonsense... Why can't the OP have both PA and NYC? If you can get it OTA, you should have it on cable and satellite. Those are your locals. Blah blah blah about scientific research. Common sense says give them what is there. If a network is missing, fill it in with neighboring cities. It's really not that hard. If you live in the middle of nowhere in the Rockies or other areas with large areas between markets, get the locals from the nearest or city or cities. It's really not that hard but they have made it so.

Cable does carry locals from different DMAs, but they don't have the same restrictions as satellite does. Blame the FCC, they make the rules.

Cable does carry locals from different DMAs, but they don't have the same restrictions as satellite does. Blame the FCC, they make the rules.

I do blame them. There should be no restrictions like DMAs. It isn't capitalism if the government tells you what you can buy.

Reactions: Troch77
To be clear, congress passed a law that ALLOWED satellite to carry locals into local markets legally. Before they passed that law in 1997, it was technically illegal to do this due to copyright violation and other laws dealing with local exclusivity.

I do blame them. There should be no restrictions like DMAs. It isn't capitalism if the government tells you what you can buy.
Folks don't seem to understand that without the law that SUPPRESSES other laws that protect the content owners' copyrights, there would be no local into local. It was the government that made it POSSIBLE for satellite to sell locals to local markets without getting their asses sued by everyone who produced every commercial! When different parts of the free market cannot coexist, that is where government steps in to regulate the chaos.

One last question: With this "move" scenario (live in PA, service address as my apartment in the NY area) - will I have to worry about Directv looking at my IP address and determining the location? I thought about using a VPN to avoid this but realized that even that would just show the location of the VPN server (and not my NY area address). Has anyone ever had an issue with this?

BTW, I am thinking of using an authorized contractor who is willing to go along with this during the install itself so I will technically never have to call Directv to "move" so no red flags should be raised. I am also using the same billing address as my NY area apartment (which is the service address). So the only question is whether they will see something wrong with the IP address?

One last question: With this "move" scenario (live in PA, service address as my apartment in the NY area) - will I have to worry about Directv looking at my IP address and determining the location? I thought about using a VPN to avoid this but realized that even that would just show the location of the VPN server (and not my NY area address). Has anyone ever had an issue with this?

BTW, I am thinking of using an authorized contractor who is willing to go along with this during the install itself so I will technically never have to call Directv to "move" so no red flags should be raised. I am also using the same billing address as my NY area apartment (which is the service address). So the only question is whether they will see something wrong with the IP address?

You have a luxury. They could check the IP, but don't/won't. Pay your bill = they don't care.

You have to remember a lot of times IP addresses vary by provider too, their geolocation can often be miles away. So I wouldn't worry the least about it. The only people getting screwed by things like that are those that live in AT&T markets who have phone/internet services from them.

Think about it; 20-something million subscribers. Do you know what it would take to check every single one of them? As others have said, pay your bill.

You have to remember a lot of times IP addresses vary by provider too, their geolocation can often be miles away. So I wouldn't worry the least about it. The only people getting screwed by things like that are those that live in AT&T markets who have phone/internet services from them.

or folks in canada ;)

PP123,
I can sympathize with your situation as I live across the river about 7 miles East of you. You are right about erecting an OTA antenna and the hassle it can be. I went through all that but it was worth getting an antenna on the roof as I get most NYC stations. You'll definitely need an antenna with a rotor and preamp. I got a cheap-o one on the Internet that has a built-in rotor and preamp. It's not big at all. It was a flimsy design and I thought wouldn't last more than a year or so but 4 years later it is still working fine. Yes it can be hit and miss, and during the summer months with leaves on the trees the signal degrades, but I can always pick up at least 4 or 5 NYC stations. Winter is the best, can even get Channel 25 from NYC. No way I'd be without my OTA antenna. I hope you can find an alternative. Do any of the NYC channels stream?

Sponge

Reactions: TNGTony
I'm in Matamoras, and our cable company is Cablevision, which only carries PA locals. Blue Ridge cuts off somewhere between here and Milford. I have moved a few times to get PA locals when I don't get the Sunday ticket for Eagles football. There is pretty much one news station out of Scranton, which I think is an ABC affiliate, WNEP. I can actually watch their newscast online when I need some PA news. They are a very rural news station. I think the people that do the weather are all related, and really quite strange. If you want a good laugh, watch the moron who does the weather in the morning, I think his name is Joe Shnedeker. If you watch him, you'll understand why I don't mind having NYC locals. I also find that the NYC stations, have much better quality HD vs shows on the Scranton locals.

Reactions: ejb1980
Folks don't seem to understand that without the law that SUPPRESSES other laws that protect the content owners' copyrights, there would be no local into local. It was the government that made it POSSIBLE for satellite to sell locals to local markets without getting their asses sued by everyone who produced every commercial! When different parts of the free market cannot coexist, that is where government steps in to regulate the chaos.

Other folks don't seem to understand that the system is DUMB. I don't care if WXXX and WYYY have the rights to the programming in my area. They produce an INFERIOR product. If we PAY for TV, we should get top quality. Some locals are not HD. Some markets are missing networks. Others screw with the schedule ALL THE TIME. During any weather/news event, said locals are covered with tickers and banners and other garbage. If locals want to do news, do news/weather coverage and dumb tickers on the subchannels. Even if Directv had subchannels, putting network programming on a SD bandwidth-starved subchannel is simply not acceptable.

Most people have seen locals from various markets. The variance in quality is simply unacceptable. If my OTA ABC was the only ABC I had, I probably wouldn't watch anything on there. WVNY sucks, the games are unwatchable. Jimmy Kimmel is blurry. Local news (and WFFF which is basically the same thing but Fox, both Nexstar) are fine. My local CBS (WCAX) is only DD 5.1 when they feel like turning it on for primetime. Nothing else is 5.1, all forced 2.0. Garbage. My NBC looks like someone turned the brightness all the way up and it's not HD all the time. They do our SD CW, too, that Directv doesn't carry. What year is this? 1999? That is simply an unacceptable offering for PAY TV. Free TV? Sure, better than nothing. Not pay TV. Why should I pay the same as my brother would in Boston and he has so much more? Local channels have zero incentive to produce a better product because they don't have to. No competition means we, the consumer, suffer.

I'm in Matamoras, and our cable company is Cablevision, which only carries PA locals. Blue Ridge cuts off somewhere between here and Milford. I have moved a few times to get PA locals when I don't get the Sunday ticket for Eagles football. There is pretty much one news station out of Scranton, which I think is an ABC affiliate, WNEP. I can actually watch their newscast online when I need some PA news. They are a very rural news station. I think the people that do the weather are all related, and really quite strange. If you want a good laugh, watch the moron who does the weather in the morning, I think his name is Joe Shnedeker. If you watch him, you'll understand why I don't mind having NYC locals. I also find that the NYC stations, have much better quality HD vs shows on the Scranton locals.
This is exactly why I "moved" to the NY market.
Problem is all the Schools reports to Scranton Wilkes-Barre.
That is a Huge issue for Pike county schools having only NY locals.
This is Not Tmobile,or Sprint country.
If you don't have Verizon, Att or a Home phone you are SOL.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts