NYC locals in Bucks County, PA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PP123

Original poster
Jan 12, 2016
Bucks County, PA
I am a resident of Bucks County, PA (border of NJ and PA) and like many of my neighbors travel to NYC for work on almost a daily basis. I like to be able to get local NYC channels so I am aware of any weather related transit delays, police activity, etc etc. However, due to my closer proximity to Philly, I only get Philly locals which are of no use to me. Since I am only 60 miles south of NYC, I could technically get the local channels through a powerful over the air antenna but it may be hit or miss and a lot of hassle to erect on my roof. I also own a studio apartment in the NYC area which I rent out so do have an actual address in that area under my name. However Slignbox is not an option as the apartment is currently rented out so don’t want to inconvenience the tenant too much. My questions are:

What are my other options to get NYC locals in my area? I read that I could get Dish or Directv and change my address to my studio address in NYC and I should be good. If this is the case:

1. Is this arrangement easier with Directv or Dish? I called Directv and they said if you move, they still send a technician to new address to verify install was done correctly.

2. What is the worst that can happen if they found out and wanted to make an example? E.g. are we looking at denial of service, fines, jailtime, etc?

3. Will I get the NYC spot beam since I am 60 miles south? (As a reference, counties adjacent to me get all NYC local channels through cable and satellite). Does it matter if the dish is high, low during installation or if I get the service duing installation, I should still get the new channels when I change address?

4. Anything else I should be aware of or other options I should consider?

Thanks all!

Last edited:
They cover pike County because it is part of NYC metro area..I'm thinking u should be good

They cover pike County because it is part of NYC metro area..I'm thinking u should be good
Pike county is nowhere near Bucks county.

Pike county Pa is part of the NY DMA market .
It's not part of the NY Metro area.
It's 22-50 miles to Scranton Wilkes-Barre DMA, and 90 minimum miles from NY city where all the actual studios are located.

So what ever knuckle head determined the DMA for that county is an idiot.
The people there hate the fact that they are forced into NY locals with Satellite.
There is no local news no local school information.
Blue ridge cable give both NY and Scranton Wilkes-Barre.

As far as spotbeam, NY and Philadelphia are 2 separate spotbeams with Dish.

In my opinion Dish is way easier to move your locals.
You can do it in a chat, and never a hair is raised.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Pike county is nowhere near Bucks county.

Pike county Pa is part of the NY DMA market .
It's not part of the NY Metro area.
It's 22-50 miles to Scranton Wilkes-Barre DMA, and 90 minimum miles from NY city where all the actual studios are located.

The people there hate the fact that they are forced into NY locals with Satellite.

As far as sportbeam, NY and Philadelphia are 2 separate spotbeams with Dish.

In my opinion Dish is way easier to move your locals.
You can do it in a chat, and never a hair is raised.

I meant they qualified for NYC locals and a good place to "move"..the spot beam should be wide enough for berks

1. either is fine. I've "moved" with both providers
2. they "move" you back
3. Ny Big 4 are CONUS (whole US) so moot point. The rest are spotbeamed but being only 60 miles away you still should be fine

As for doing it, they WONT send out a tech. All you do is tell them "I moved. Everything is set up properly but it looks like my locals arent working." Give them the "new" address and thats it.

I thought Dish was cracking down on this over the past few years.
Directv asked many questions when I used to move with them.
Mainly because one DMA required a SL5, and the other SL3.
Well they kept on, that I don't have the proper equipment, when I actually did.
And turned a 10 minute change into a 45 minute process.

Dish asked Nothing !

I said I need to change my service address, they said "Okay what's the new one"?
Done. Simple

Now that receivers connect to the Internet those days may soon be over

They've been connected to the Internet for a long time! Mine is and always has been. Local forecast on the Weather Channel is my real home but locals are "moved" home.

Reactions: Mr Tony
I have "moved" 3 times and never had a question with DirecTV.
same here
When I had D* I "moved" to an area that had my old locals
then moved home to get HD
"moved" elsewhere to get SV stations
moved home to get Genie
"moved" back to last town but different address

everytime Directv had no qualms about it. The only time I had issues was the last time and they put the wrong county down which didnt give me SV stations. One call back and fixed

They could check your ip address if you are connected to the internet, but I haven't yet heard of that happening to anyone.

You could go through a VPN if they did decide to crack down but the number of people doing this has to be minuscule and those people are paying their bills every month. They may pretend that they're doing something about it but like Netflix, they have zero reason to do so.

I am thinking someday soon locals will be delivered via internet..much like some are in Europe. .if and when something like that happens..people will care

The big advantage would be that satellite would be able to provide all local subchannels and maybe better HD or 4k

The TV markets are defined by Nielsen Media Research based on annual surveys of where the MAJORITY of the TV viewers (not the population at large) lives works and plays. The economic ties. Essentially where are they most likely to shop. Whose commercials will be more effective. This is not done by pulling names out of a hat. TV markets change every year slightly. Some places, usually rural counties "in the middle of nowhere" bounce back and forth between markets every few years. Auglaize County Ohio jumps back and forth from Dayton to Lima all the time.

The NYC, Philly, Scranton markets have been pretty stable. When I look at the Nielsen maps I've collected over the last 20 years, they haven't really changed.

Cable TV and satellite TV work under a different set of laws regarding locals and "significantly viewed" out of market channels.

I can assure you most Pike county residents don't shop in NY for good reason.
For 1 PA has 6% sales tax, And food or Clothing is tax exempt.

That is not the case in up state NY. Clothes and Food are Taxed, some county's as much as 9.9%
Gas is also more expensive.
And we have one of the Highest gas taxes in the country.
And Milford / Matamoris Pa has more than enough in the way of Home depots , Lowes, Walmart super center. Restaurants, Car dealers
I suggest Nelson Media acually does some real research .
Because most of the NY Residence that came from NY city live in the south Eastern part Pike county, which is East Stroudsburg area School districts in Monroe County.

They didn't come from Middletown NY.

Most Pike county residents shop in East Stroudsburg, Dickson City, and Matamoris.
Not NY

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)