nyc stations on siriusxm

Originally the deal with the FCC for National satellite radio didn't allow "locals" on XM (and I believe Sirius) because they were to be "national" services, and were not allowed to offer signals that were too "localized" in competition to terrestrials.

The only station I can remember on the original XM was WSM, Nashville and it was nice to get it that way when driving to work early in the morning! If any locals from big cities are up there now, enjoy them! Its a GREAT way to hear (big market) radio that you enjoy without being in the market, and without clocking up your mobile data usage. (now becoming quite the issue!!) Not sure how they got it past the FCC, however on the localism issue.

Clear channel is so large, it has its hand in many operations, I wouldn't be surprised if its somewhere a partner in satellite radio, too. (but I neither know, nor really care.) They DO however have a reasonably large interest in the slow-growth and not so popular terrestrial "HD Radio" novelty.

My hope is that someday we see services like XM/Sirius available to any terrestrial station that wants to pay to provide its product to the nation. After all who would have thought we'd be uplinking small market TV on the two pizza systems only a few short years ago? It would be GREAT for terrestrial to have more chance at this than just the biggies! (and an alternative to streaming!!)

CC invested in XM in it's early days, so it gets to program a certain percent of XM's bandwidth. This is why the CC channels are not available on Sirius radios. It is sad though, the CC channels are programmed MUCH better than the XM In-House counterparts. :eek:

Id atellite radio simply rebroadcat terrestrial radio it has no real purpose. I have used XM and Sirius to enjoy programming i don't get on terredtrial radio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts