Obama tax plan scaring some MLB free agents

Status
Not open for further replies.

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
I believe in making as much money as you possibly can, but filthy rich professional athletes start whinning about the new tax plan because their $10 million contracts will now add an addition $400,000....my heart just bleeds for the poor guys. I mean HOW will they afford to live??!!!:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Agents ponder effect of likely tax increase on clients' salaries

Associated Press

Updated: November 5, 2008, 8:47 AM ET

DANA POINT, Calif. -- Some baseball agents already are thinking about trying to beat a possible tax increase for their well-paid clients under an Obama administration.

CC Sabathia and Manny Ramirez are among the players who have already filed for free agency. Check the Tracker to find out who else has filed and which teams have the most free agents. More

President-elect Barack Obama has proposed increasing the top federal income tax rate from 35 percent to 39.6 percent, where it was under president Bill Clinton.

If signing bonuses are paid before Jan. 1, they likely would be taxed at the current rate and would not be subject to any increase.

"It's something we'll consider," agent Craig Landis said Tuesday at the general managers' meetings. "Besides the federal issue, we have a state issue in some cases, anyway, where it's advantageous to take signing bonuses because of the state income tax. A Florida resident can take the signing bonus and not have to pay his team's state tax."

Obama's proposal would increase federal income tax on families earning more than $250,000 annually, money that would help finance a decrease for workers and families earning less than $200,000. It's also possible more income might be subject to the Social Security tax.

Next year's major league minimum is $400,000. Agent Scott Boras, negotiating eight- and possibly nine-figure deals for free agents Manny Ramirez and Mark Teixeira, already has thought about the possibility of asking for larger signing bonuses payable this year in some of his contracts.

"There's some consideration to be had with the impact of the election," he said.

Free agents can't start negotiating money with all teams until Nov. 14. Only a relatively small percentage of contracts are finalized before Jan. 1.

Still, for a big-money free agent earning $10 million in 2009, Obama's plan could increase his federal tax by more than $400,000.

"I'm sure it will be kicked around," said Paul Kinzer, who represents free-agent closer Francisco Rodriguez.

Agents generally had thought about the possibility of a tax increase more than the GMs. Many of the club representatives said they likely wouldn't be able to determine until after Nov. 14 whether beating a tax hike was a trend.

"It's not off the wall," said Andrew Friedman, executive vice president for baseball operations of the AL champion Tampa Bay Rays. "We'd certainly be open-minded to it depending on what the rest of the terms of the deal are."

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3683448"]Major League Baseball agents ponder beating likely tax increase - ESPN[/ame]

I feel so bad for them.. :rolleyes:

You and be both....:up I look at it this way, IF you could afford a Ferrari that gets 10 miles to the gallon....you have NO REASON to bitch about the price of gas!

But that's me....;)

Think about it....next year, the league MINIMUM for a MLB player is $400,000...!!!

I WISH!!!!

baby_crying_closeup.jpg

You and be both....:up I look at it this way, IF you could afford a Ferrari that gets 10 miles to the gallon....you have NO REASON to bitch about the price of gas!

But that's me....;)

Think about it....next year, the league MINIMUM for a MLB player is $400,000...!!!

I WISH!!!!

If thats the case will anyone be able to afford a ticket? NOW THAT WILL keep their taxes down.

Even with a tax increase I would GLADLY trade them salaries.

i think these agents are more worried about themselves than the players they represent. you know they make way more that 250k a year so that means more taxes for them too.

Even with a tax increase I would GLADLY trade them salaries.

In a New York City second.....I still remember Latrell Sprewell's agent once saying...."Sprewell would not be interested in signing for any team's $5 million mid-level exception, calling that amount "a level beneath which Sprewell would not stoop or kneel!"

WTF??!! :eek::eek::eek::haha:haha:haha

OH MY GOD, THERE'S GOING TO BE A TAX PLAN!!! THE PLAYERS MIGHT HAVE TO TAKE A PAYCUT!!! HOW ARE WE GOING TO LIVE!!! HOW ARE WE GOING TO SURVIVE AS A SOCIETY!!!:eek::eek:

I've never understood the constant complaining that goes on with sports salaries. Yeah, it's an obscene amount of money, but it's human nature to always want to make more? Just ebcause a person makes tons of money, does that mean they should ignore the opportunity to make more money? Or should simply take less for no reason? The sports are making tons of revenue -- I'd much rather see more of that going towards the players whom I pay to see than the owners.

Of course agents are going to push for players to get payments before Jan 1 if it can avoid extra taxes. If they didn't do that, they wouldn't be doing their job and serving their clients properly.

Personally I think there should be a maximum salary for a player, say no more than $1 million. Honestly, why would they need more??

Personally I think there should be a maximum salary for a player, say no more than $1 million. Honestly, why would they need more??

Because the team owner, league, merchandise licensees, etc. reap substantially more than $1 million from that player's efforts?

Since when do these guys really care about taxes? If they did nobody would sign with the Yankees or Red Sox because New York and Massachusetts have some of the highest state income tax rates in the country. Florida doesn't even have a state income tax yet nobody rushes to sign with the Marlins or Rays. There's a lot of reasons why Obama's tax plan may be bad for the economy, but its effect on baseball players is not one of them.

Like I have said before....IF your girlfriend use to work at a strip club....don't bitch because she is flirting with all your friends!

I can't wait to get that money redistributed to me. I'm entitled to it. This country owes me big time. Thank God the government is finally going to take care of me.

Let us know when you get that check.. ;)

Reminder folks... no political discussions here at SatelliteGuys. This one has gone as far as it could without turning into a political debate.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)