Obama weighs in on net neutrality..

Creating a fast lane forcing companies to pay more to have their data delivered is a BAD thing.
No it won't, by having the online company pay more that will mean the consumer has to pay less because the ISP will drop their rates and instead charge the online companies more for better streaming rates that we were already paying for. The online company won't increase their rates because... umm... they won't.

But if Big Bad Government got involved, then Comcast would have had to raised their rates in order to be able to upgrade their broadband capabilities that they apparently oversold to their customers. And the customers would have had to pay more in order to get the service they were originally promised at a lower price!

Sure, it could argued that the Online company is already paying to upload their data and we are paying to download it, so this would be double dipping, especially if the Online company's Internet provider is the same as their customers. But then we would be stricken with the necessity of having regulations which only hurt the job market and will prevent the Canadian Tar Sands from being transported along high speed fiber lines.

No it don't work that way at all.

Ok... we have SatelliteGuys, we pay to have our servers hosted and pay for all the bandwidth you and all the members here use.

Now lets say SatelliteGuys gets really popular...

Now Comcast (or whoever) notices that we are getting popular and comes to use and says... "Hey we see your site is getting really popular, a lot of our customers are visiting your site and thats great! However since so many are going to your site you must pay us (even though we are not your ISP) a lot of money for us to keep passing your data to our customers or we are going to throttle all connections going to SatelliteGuys so that its so slow no one goes to your site anymore."

Now this is fair HOW?

The customer is paying Comcast for their Internet Connection, and I am paying my ISP for the bandwidth that my site uses. Why can Comcast (or whoever) get in the middle and pick at random any site and demand more payment or they are going to throttle their connections?

BTW just saw this... might be another reason why a DIRECTV & AT&T Merger might not be a good idea.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/12/7203089/at-t-net-neutrality-fiber

I modified my post to make the sarcasm a little more clear. What is disturbing is that is hard to actually pick the sarcasm from the actual position being held by those against Net Neutrality.

The president cannot remove a commissioner from the board, except in the event of criminal wrongdoing, conflict of interest or other malfeasance. HOWEVER, he can appoint one of the other sitting commissioners chairman and demote the existing chairman.

Reactions: TheKrell
Too bad complete industry capture doesn't count as a conflict. He should never have been appointed. Coming from the industry, he had and has far too many close ties to appear neutral...

Too bad complete industry capture doesn't count as a conflict. He should never have been appointed. Coming from the industry, he had and has far too many close ties to appear neutral...
Spot on, one of the very few things I agree with potus with, would love to see him make the move, but I doubt it will happen.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

No it don't work that way at all.

Ok... we have SatelliteGuys, we pay to have our servers hosted and pay for all the bandwidth you and all the members here use.

Now lets say SatelliteGuys gets really popular...

Now Comcast (or whoever) notices that we are getting popular and comes to use and says... "Hey we see your site is getting really popular, a lot of our customers are visiting your site and thats great! However since so many are going to your site you must pay us (even though we are not your ISP) a lot of money for us to keep passing your data to our customers or we are going to throttle all connections going to SatelliteGuys so that its so slow no one goes to your site anymore."

Now this is fair HOW?

The customer is paying Comcast for their Internet Connection, and I am paying my ISP for the bandwidth that my site uses. Why can Comcast (or whoever) get in the middle and pick at random any site and demand more payment or they are going to throttle their connections?

BTW just saw this... might be another reason why a DIRECTV & AT&T Merger might not be a good idea.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/12/7203089/at-t-net-neutrality-fiber
Actually Comcast would approach you and offer private pipes thru their network and possibly space on their servers for faster service and less traffic thru their network..that's what Netflix purchased..they never would sloooow your traffic..just sell you a faster path..kinda like a hov lane on a highway

Actually Comcast would approach you and offer private pipes thru their network and possibly space on their servers for faster service and less traffic thru their network..that's what Netflix purchased..they never would sloooow your traffic..just sell you a faster path..kinda like a hov lane on a highway
That's not a correct analogy of the netflix situation. It's not selling a faster path. It's letting the existing path degrade to such a point that buying the faster path is necessary for anyone to receive data from you. (And this is giving Comcast the benefit of the doubt that they let the connections degrade rather than actively causing degradation.) as a Comcast customer paying for them to deliver the data I request, that is bull$h!!.

Reactions: AZ. and TheKrell
That's not a correct analogy of the netflix situation. It's not selling a faster path. It's letting the existing path degrade to such a point that buying the faster path is necessary for anyone to receive data from you. (And this is giving Comcast the benefit of the doubt that they let the connections degrade rather than actively causing degradation.) as a Comcast customer paying for them to deliver the data I request, that is bull$h!!.
Private companies built a 100 gig backbone (Comcast Verizon etc)..the government pays for nothing..it costs millions to maintain..by taking data hogs off the main path and putting them on their paths allows better service on the main path..I realize most people think the internet is open and free.but it really is just a collection of private unregulated networks owned by private companies trying to make a profit..somebody needs to pay for the upgrades..why not the data hogs?..its a win win situation..Netflix can do 4k..the internet doesn't get overcrowded..the companies that actually build the internet make a profit..if you take profit out..there will be no internet upgrades and service will really really suck because nobody will expand the backbone..I know it is far more complicated then this

Private companies built a 100 gig backbone (Comcast Verizon etc)..the government pays for nothing..it costs millions to maintain..by taking data hogs off the main path and putting them on their paths allows better service on the main path..I realize most people think the internet is open and free.but it really is just a collection of private unregulated networks owned by private companies trying to make a profit..somebody needs to pay for the upgrades..why not the data hogs?..its a win win situation..Netflix can do 4k..the internet doesn't get overcrowded..the companies that actually build the internet make a profit..if you take profit out..there will be no internet upgrades and service will really really suck because nobody will expand the backbone..I know it is far more complicated then this
Wow,way to fall for the industry spin hook line and sinker! Comcast and Verizon did not create the backbone. They created networks covering the last few miles to individual homes. And look at their profit margins, no way I'm falling for the someone has to pay for it. Everyone that is paying for internet is already paying for it! They're selling me data service, they have no right to constrict the flow of data I am paying for based on where it's coming from. They have a service contract with me to deliver the bits I request, they shouldn't be able to treat bits different from one another just so they can get extra money from someone else.

Reactions: AZ. and TheKrell
Wow,way to fall for the industry spin hook line and sinker! Comcast and Verizon did not create the backbone. They created networks covering the last few miles to individual homes. And look at their profit margins, no way I'm falling for the someone has to pay for it. Everyone that is paying for internet is already paying for it! They're selling me data service, they have no right to constrict the flow of data I am paying for based on where it's coming from. They have a service contract with me to deliver the bits I request, they shouldn't be able to treat bits different from one another just so they can get extra money from someone else.
No no no.they built the backbone and own the routers..mci built a big chunk too they were bought by Verizon..at one time there were 5 big companies that basically controlled the backbone..the internet just doesn't happen.magically.yes you pay for access..would you rather pay double your access fee or let the data hogs pay more?..somebody will pay..I will tell you regulation will stifle innovation..just like the old bell system.it worked much better broken up...for the consumer

I can't believe people are actually defending the cable companies on this.

Perhaps we should charge some people who use the phone more to make sure their calls are completed. You know, all those extra bits. Data hogs

Reactions: dangue
The key in my opinion is that my isp should provide me with a connection at the speed they agreed to for the level of service I purchased and netflix’s isp should provide them with the level they paid for. My isp should not be allowed to sell me a level of service then provide less than that level for any sites I connect to.

The key in my opinion is that my isp should provide me with a connection at the speed they agreed to for the level of service I purchased and netflix’s isp should provide them with the level they paid for. My isp should not be allowed to sell me a level of service then provide less than that level for any sites I connect to.
Sadly, in this country, we are run by lawyers, and consequently, fraud and misleading consumers is alright as long as a lawyer puts it in writing, in a long and ridiculously unfollowable "User's agreement".

I can't believe people are actually defending the cable companies on this.

Perhaps we should charge some people who use the phone more to make sure their calls are completed. You know, all those extra bits. Data hogs

Exactly !!!! This disinformation and even BS is flowing like a river out of control!!!

People are spoon fed what they want to hear... Not digging down deep into the mud to find the truth...

Again.... Listening to the Ted Cruz's of the world spreading lies and deceit.... Fist give the bill a confusing name and or make it sound the opposite of what it actually does.... Take a big name talking piece and just let him blather exactly what you think it is...and the whole time it is not!

Exactly !!!! This disinformation and even BS is flowing like a river out of control!!!

People are spoon fed what they want to hear... Not digging down deep into the mud to find the truth...

Again.... Listening to the Ted Cruz's of the world spreading lies and deceit.... Fist give the bill a confusing name and or make it sound the opposite of what it actually does.... Take a big name talking piece and just let him blather exactly what you think it is...and the whole time it is not!
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/...servatives-rage-against-Ted-Cruz?detail=email SORRY BUT I GUESS THE RULES MEAN YOU HAVE TO GO TO THE PIT TO LEARN MORE, I WOULD HATE TO SEE THIS WEBSITE GO DOWN BECAUSE OF IT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)