Obnoxious Message from Tivo to Dish Subscribers

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Did anyone see the obnoxious "special message" from Tivo to Dish Subscribers.

http://www.tivo.com/tivodishinfo.asp

They say:
TiVo is a pioneer in Digital Video Recorder (DVR) products and services. TiVo is a relatively small company whose entire business centers around expanding and advancing DVR functionality and technology. TiVo introduced DVRs to consumers and protected its inventions with patents. EchoStar is a very large media company that provides DVR products and services in direct competition with TiVo. Unlike TiVo partners such as DIRECTV and Comcast, EchoStar has refused to enter into an agreement with TiVo which left TiVo no choice but to defend its intellectual property in federal court.

After several years of expensive litigation, in April 2006, EchoStar's DVR products were found by a jury to be infringing one of TiVo's patents. TiVo is pleased that a federal court has recognized that TiVo's business will be irreparably harmed if EchoStar were allowed to continue to infringe TiVo's patent. Any shutdown of DVR functionality for existing DISH Network customers is entirely and directly due to EchoStar's infringement of TiVo's patent rights. It is unfortunate that DISH Network's actions have put its customers in the awkward position of potentially having DVR functionality disabled but DISH Network customers who want to ensure uninterrupted DVR service can get DVR products and services from TiVo and its partners.

If you would like more information about products from TiVo and its partners, please complete the form below.

Oh yeah, I want to run out and buy a non-HD TiVo! :rolleyes:

Maybe when E* buys them, they will start making good DVRs.

wayne231

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 9, 2006
Memphis, TN
stone phillips420 said:
ya must be high, tivo blows any echostar product out of the water the features advertised on the side of any tivo box actually function
That actually made me laugh out loud. TIVO box that does anything that a vcr won't do. That'll be the day.

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
Tivo will have a cable dual tuner for hd soon from what I read. Unfortunately they do not have a stand alone for high def for Satellite customers. Instead they are trying to back door their way into the Dish dvrs via lawsuits.

visiter555

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 11, 2006
Pembina, ND
rockymtnhigh said:
Did anyone see the obnoxious "special message" from Tivo to Dish Subscribers.

http://www.tivo.com/tivodishinfo.asp

They say:

Oh yeah, I want to run out and buy a non-HD TiVo! :rolleyes:

Maybe when E* buys them, they will start making good DVRs.

Not likely that Dish could buy Tivo...with Direct, Cogeco, Cox, etc all buying into Tivo they would never let Dish acquire the ownership of a major product they each use or licence.

Charlie should have settled this long ago but he never says he is wrong (Distants, Tivo, etc, etc, etc) and litigates till the end of time. This has been ruled in Tivo's favour, right or wrong it matters not, at the highest level.

VinceT3

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 12, 2006
Rainsalot Florida
MikeD-C05 said:
Tivo will have a cable dual tuner for hd soon from what I read. Unfortunately they do not have a stand alone for high def for Satellite customers. Instead they are trying to back door their way into the Dish dvrs via lawsuits.

If Dish made it so Tivo could make boxes for Dish I would consider buying one. But if Tivo tries to take my HD DVR away from me, yeah that won't go over so well. :)

mikew

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
wayne231 said:
That actually made me laugh out loud. TIVO box that does anything that a vcr won't do. That'll be the day.
I've never seen a VCR record to a HDD
I've never seen a VCR that can search for programs
I've never seen a VCR that can record by name
I've never seen a VCR that has a built in 14 day guide.

Still laughing...or do you need more?

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Wow, that set off a quick firestorm. :)

I just thought their special message was really irritating.

As long as my 622 DVR functionality doesn't go away, I really don't care what happens to TiVo.

boston area dtv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 18, 2005
Boston
I dont understand what all the complaining is about. All Tivo said is hey we are lil company trying to protect ourselves from giants like echostar and guess what the courts took our side..we were right so dont blame us ..blame echostar.

What did you expect from them?

As for the obnoxious message part..its their website! You went to their website and found a message promoting their cause what do you expect for them to say?

It was a simple hey dont point the finger at us point it at Echostar message. Personally Id be yelling at Echostar. Id say yo..either make a deal with Tivo like everyone else did or develop your own DVR.

Seems simple to me.

wayne231

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 9, 2006
Memphis, TN
mikew said:
I've never seen a VCR record to a HDD
I've never seen a VCR that can search for programs
I've never seen a VCR that can record by name
I've never seen a VCR that has a built in 14 day guide.

Still laughing...or do you need more?
I've never seen a tivo box that can record hd period
I've never seen a tivo box that doesn't require another subscription service
I've never seen a tivo box that can record two digital channels at once
Ive never seen a tivo box that can record OTA signals
and by the way most tv's come with tv guide that allows search, future record, search by name and with a 18 day guide. and guess what; ya don't have to pay 249.00 upfront and 16.95 a month to pause or get this "only record the program your watching"
Yea, I'm still laughing

stone phillips420

On Vacation
Oct 20, 2004
earth
wayne231 said:
I've never seen a tivo box that can record hd period
I've never seen a tivo box that doesn't require another subscription service
I've never seen a tivo box that can record two digital channels at once
Ive never seen a tivo box that can record OTA signals
and by the way most tv's come with tv guide that allows search, future record, search by name and with a 18 day guide. and guess what; ya don't have to pay 249.00 upfront and 16.95 a month to pause or get this "only record the program your watching"
Yea, I'm still laughing
wayne get out from under your rock then tivo is the cadillac of dvr's, all other dvrs are junk echostar did make one nice dvr thanks to microsoft the 7100/7200 but the crediit for that one goes to microsoft

wayne231

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 9, 2006
Memphis, TN
stone phillips420 said:
wayne get out from under your rock then tivo is the cadillac of dvr's, all other dvrs are junk echostar did make one nice dvr thanks to microsoft the 7100/7200 but the crediit for that one goes to microsoft
I think it's you that is under a rock. TIVO doesn't make a receiver. It makes a recording box. You are confusing what Direct and Dish have been able to do with the software. Tivo box's are actually nothing more than a waste. Check out the new "Series2" boxes. They can't do anything. You can't even record a OTA digital signal on the thing. Also if you notice the lifetime subscritption is gone. It's now a by the year contract hero.

stone phillips420

On Vacation
Oct 20, 2004
earth
oh really the dtv tivo didnt exist, that sat ird, series 2 does everything except record ota i have many
my hr10-250 records ota, anymore holes i can poke in your theory
no all my tivos still have lifetime service

TIVO IS KING OF DVR"S
ECHOSTAR DVR"S ARE JUST JESTERS

Last edited:

wayne231

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 9, 2006
Memphis, TN
stone phillips420 said:
oh really the dtv tivo didnt exist, that sat ird, series 2 does everything except record ota i have many
my hr10-250 records ota, anymore holes i can poke in your theory
no all my tivos still have lifetime service
Just like I said, the hr10-250 is a direct receiver using some of tivo's software. It's branded. Tivo doesn't make it. Geez. Read a little.

stone phillips420

On Vacation
Oct 20, 2004
earth
w/o tivo software it would barely function
if you wanna make it a software issue
lets go tivo software vs. echostar software
if your trying to say echostar software is better you have more problems then i thought aside from being in memphis haha
sounds like we agree to disagree at least

Last edited:

wayne231

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 9, 2006
Memphis, TN
stone phillips420 said:
w/o tivo software it would barely function
if you wanna make it a software issue
lets go tivo software vs. echostar software
if your trying to say echostar software is better you have more problems then i thought aside from being in memphis haha
way way better. without a doubt. You have your opinion, I have mine. My son has the direct receiver you talk about. wishes he had my 622 because of the function and speed. Might as well give up. You can't win.:)

bcope9

SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 15, 2004
Thomson, GA
Well, I am still waiting for lil ole TIVO to sue Microsoft or Apple or Redhat or IBM...any computer OS with the proper software can record to a HDD and do something else at the same time, what is so special about TIVO, other than extremely high monthly rates for a guide...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts