Observations from a new Voomer...

GeneWildershair

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 28, 2004
Bay Area
First let me say that I have only had Voom for 1 day, and I am very pleased with what Voom has to offer so far! PQ is great, no problems there. I have noticed a few things that may have been addressed before, so excuse me if I bring up known issues, (I'm a newbie... be gentle) ;). First I noticed right from the get go that the guide is reeaaallly slllooow! changing channels is a bit of a chore compared to my D* box. Is this something Voom will be addressing in the near future? Second, I noticed when listening to 5.1 audio thru optical out conected to my surround setup, Voom is lacking on Bass? My exact setup with D* (optical out) has much more bass sound. Also I was wondering if there was a way to edit your channel guide? I would really like to just scroll thru the channels I actually watch, and get rid of the ones I don't watch? My main reason for wanting this feature is so that I can get all those annoying pre-mapped OTA stations on the guide. I have contacted Voom on my mapped channels issue so hopefully they can get me the right ones? We'll see. For now I will just continue to use my D* box for OTA. :( Thanks for any help you can possibly give.

The slow guide is part of the upgrade coming soon.

5.1 no problems here.

Use the favorites guide. Add all the channels you like to most to it.

GeneWildershair said:
First let me say that I have only had Voom for 1 day, and I am very pleased with what Voom has to offer so far! PQ is great, no problems there. I have noticed a few things that may have been addressed before, so excuse me if I bring up known issues, (I'm a newbie... be gentle) ;). First I noticed right from the get go that the guide is reeaaallly slllooow! changing channels is a bit of a chore compared to my D* box. Is this something Voom will be addressing in the near future? Second, I noticed when listening to 5.1 audio thru optical out conected to my surround setup, Voom is lacking on Bass? My exact setup with D* (optical out) has much more bass sound. Also I was wondering if there was a way to edit your channel guide? I would really like to just scroll thru the channels I actually watch, and get rid of the ones I don't watch? My main reason for wanting this feature is so that I can get all those annoying pre-mapped OTA stations on the guide. I have contacted Voom on my mapped channels issue so hopefully they can get me the right ones? We'll see. For now I will just continue to use my D* box for OTA. :( Thanks for any help you can possibly give.

The guide "slowness" will addressed in next software upgrade.

I have to check on the Bass through optical sound. Haven't experienced this.

create a favorite list. VOOM button ---> Green Button---> Favorite list.

Thanks guys, scrolling thru the favorites list is ok, but it's just too bad there's no way to be able to push the channel button up or down and go thru just your favorites. :( Or is there a way? It seems like having list set up options would have been a no brainer for Voom, as D* and Dishnetwork both have the option? It is really much more convenient.

GeneWildershair said:
Thanks guys, scrolling thru the favorites list is ok, but it's just too bad there's no way to be able to push the channel button up or down and go thru just your favorites. :( Or is there a way? It seems like having list set up options would have been a no brainer for Voom, as D* and Dishnetwork both have the option? It is really much more convenient.

Yes, you can. Create the list. Once created just press "FAV" and you will be able to scroll up/down through just your FAV list.

Sean Mota said:
Yes, you can. Create the list. Once created just press "FAV" and you will be able to scroll up/down through just your FAV list.

Yes I know you can do that, but what I'm trying to say is that I wish you could just change the channel up or down going thru just those channels you want to go thru. Creating lists, and being able to just manually channel up or down between those specified channels. For example my D* box has different list categories, one has "all channels", then the next is "List A", then "List B", and you can set these up however youwant. My wife has her list which consists of a variety of different womens programming including Lifetime movie networks...etc... If I pick up the remote and start turning channels it will just go thru all of her channels, so I then would go to List B, (my list) and just have my channels on there. I'm sorry if it sounds confusing, but I wouldn't know how else to explain this. I'm sure your E* box has the same sort of listing options?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts