Observations on my trip

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
Took a business trip to Philly the last couple of days, and something that I normally wouldn't notice stood out to me like a sore thumb.

The prevalence of iPhones in use versus every other os.

I think I saw a literally handful of blackberries, one windows phone, and a few androids.

iPhones however outnumbered them all by a large margin. I would say in Memphis and Philly , 3 out of 5 people were carrying an iPhone of some sort. I was a little surprised that it was that high in the admittedly small sample that I was in contact with.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I will add that most of them were 4/4s models. But still saw probably as many 3G /3GS models as any other os.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

They are everywhere. I see students with iPhones at a rate far higher than anything else.

And while last year I saw a lot more Androids in the wild, the trend seems to be shifting back to iPhones. Considering that more than 50% of Verizon's smart phone sales are iPhone 4S/4, I am not surprised by this. Verizon sells 16 or 18 other non iOS devices, and they represent less than half of all smartphones they sell.

Of course, part of it is the phenomenon that you have an iPhone, so all you see are iPhones, like when you buy a new car -- how is it that EVERYBODY is driving the same car? :) But in this instance, I think there is actually something substantive to the argument. Just like when you go into Best Buy and they have a full wall of iPhone accessories, and then a smaller one for all other phones.

I also saw more droids last year than I did others, but I think there is a trend shift going on.

I am sure that I notice it more since I do have one now, but I made an honest effort to pay attention when I first started noticing it at the first airport.
We were waiting to board the first plane in Hattiesburg, very small airport, and a small plane. I may have seen one non iOS device out of everyone on that plane that used their phone in my view. I am not saying others did not have different devices.

When I noticed that, I pointed it out to my wife, and casually observed the handsets of people with them out in Memphis, Philadelphia, and King of Prussia. The observable trend held in all places, going and on the way back.

Obviously not scientific, but I found it interesting anyway.

I don't see why anyone would be surprised by this. their user friendly os makes it the right device for most consumers. anyone can use them.

Well with AT&T and VZ both selling more iPhones than all android phones combined, it is more likely you will see an iphone.

My son loves his iPhone. It's like carrying around a tiny laptop in your pocket. I'm an old timer - I just use my phone to talk. I couldn't care less about apps.

marine navigation apps

Samsung v iPhone4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)