Obsolete Receiver Notice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

judi

Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
I just noticed on one of the DirecTV channels that I never see that there is a notice that my receiver (Hughes HIRD E-11) will soon be obsolete and will no longer work. I do have a back-up that I bought in 2005, DirecTV Receiver Model D10, that I have never had need to activate. Will my back-up receiver still work if I call and have it activated or am I going to have to go through the process of getting a new receiver from them and hassling over it. We keep our service simple and are happy with it as is.

I was going to welcome you to Satelliteguys since this is your first post, but you have been a member for over 5 years! :)

I think the D10 will work in place of your old unit. I would call Directv and ask to be sure.

More technically, all mpeg2 boxes should be shut down, but that won't happen for a long time. They should have stopped making them many years ago and began transitioning everyone to mpeg4 boxes.

No, if you don't want hd, you don't pay for it, simple! Then they won't authorize it on your account.

Directv will send you a new replacement receiver, no charge and no commitment. You will likely receive a D12, which is a few years newer and more stable than your D10. I'd take one from DirecTV and keep that D10 in the closet incase you ever decide you want to activate it.

jcrandall said:
Directv will send you a new replacement receiver, no charge and no commitment. You will likely receive a D12, which is a few years newer and more stable than your D10. I'd take one from DirecTV and keep that D10 in the closet incase you ever decide you want to activate it.

Yea let them send you a new box

Remember,
It is not so much the obsolete box that is the issue. Those old Hughs boxes work fine and there are plenty of them sitting around as spares. It is the HD system as Directv does it now that has progressed. For HD you need a dish that will "see" the satellites at 99, 101 & 103 west long at the same time. These "Slimline" dishes come in several flavors but are not interchangeable with the 18" round dish that can only "see" the 101 sat that is the source of its SD signal. Replacing those 18' round dishes is a big issue and may not even be possible for many happy SD subscribers.

AND if your past TV experiences are B&W with rabbit ears or crappy CATV companies the Directv SD is good enough for a long time.

Joe

So the change is not that my receiver will be obsolete, but that it won't receive HD channels? Since we have no intention of ever subscribing to any HD channels, can't I just keep using my present receiver?

and thank you all for the replies!

So the change is not that my receiver will be obsolete, but that it won't receive HD channels? Since we have no intention of ever subscribing to any HD channels, can't I just keep using my present receiver?

and thank you all for the replies!

Till everything eventually goes to mpeg 4 ...

No, this has nothing to do with HD. They are retiring SD receivers that are past a certain age. They've gone past the capacity those receivers can handle in channels and guide data. NFL sunday ticket customers had this a year or so ago because the really old SD receivers couldn't get the 700-719 channels anymore.

Some have already had issues with guide data.

The elimination of all SD equipment and HD only is many years away.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts