Occasional Black Screen

jtruong

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
Royal Oak, MI
I've gotten version 7.26, but I still get occasional black screens on both satellite channels and OTC channels. I've read in the Software Version Fixes/Bugs thread that this is not a software issue. Does anyone know what the definitive problem is that causes this? Is there any fix for it (besides changing providers :p)?

Thanks!

John

The only channel I had problem with black screen is TNTHD. Although over the last two months I haven't had any problems with black screen on any channels.

John,

I haven't seen the "black screen" problem (like jimmykces1 said) over two months (even on TNT-HD). Which channels are you seeing this behavior? It is rare because on OTA channels I did not see this only on Satellite channels like TNT-HD and Starz-HD.

I was getting it last night on OTA channel 4 (NBC). I'm also in the Detroit area, BTW. I don't remember which satellite channels I still get the blank screen with, but I'll jot down what channels I get this with tonight and will post an updated.

Thanks!

John

If your getting OTA problems than the problem is with your local broadcast stations. According to someone on this foreum who lives in Detroit area said that one of the stations went down due to lightening strike. which was PBS.

Is there a way you can try to adjust your OTA antenna easly. I know when I first got installed, I had trouble with OTA channels dropping out. I had to have Voom upgrade my antenna and its been working great. Go to www.antennaweb.org and see if they installed the correct OTA antenna for your area.

Hope this helps you out.

Ok, I paid extra special attention last night to what channels I'm seeing the ocassional black screen with. I only watched two channels, OTA ABC and F/X. I got a black screen a couple of times with both channels.

I had a tech out a few weeks after my initial installation (back in June) to adjust the OTA antenna because I couldn't get a stable signal with UPN or CBS. I really don't have access to the antenna (don't have a big enough ladder). The black screens were very rare when I first got Voom and probably since the software was upgraded to 6.00 has the occassional black screens been more frequent.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

John

What are your signal quality readings on ABC and NBC? Is the signal stable or does it fluctuate? Next time it happens check the signal quality right away.

Also, what kind of connection are you using? If it's DVI, try switching to Component and see if the same problem happens over Component.

Signal quality for ABC and NBC are in the 90s and it's usually pretty stable. I am using the DVI input, so I can try switching to the component input and see if that solves the problem. Thanks Ilya!

John

I still don't have 7.26 but I've been getting the blackouts as well. I got it for sure watching Master & Commander (2-3 times) on HBOHD, Monday night Football ( a couple of times) and last night on TNTHD (2x). I am using the DVI connection and hesitate to change as it's a bear moving my 250 pound CRT. I'm really not complaining as it's a small nuiscance but it sure would be nice if they fixed it. Mike

Hey, John - Royal Oak, right?

I haven't noticed any problems at all with the Detroit OTA's except the aforementioned problem with 56 (which has been fixed). I only watched a couple minutes of channel 4 on Sunday (Shrek), and didn't see any problems(looked great, actually). Last night I watched ch 7 for an hour (8-9pm, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition) -- again, no black screen, no issues. I'm tuning in to ch50 at nine tonight to watch Veronica Mars (I'll be flipping to MSU/Duke on ESPN at commercials). If you watch either of those, let me know if you see any problems. Also, might watch the Michigan game at 7 on ESPN, but I'm not married to it. If you're planning on watching something specific at 8 (or any other time today), let me know & I'll check it out.

Timm

Hey Timm! Yeah, dude, Royal Oak is right. I'll probably watch a bit of the Michigan game too on ESPN. I'll probably watch some of the Pistons game on WB as well when that starts. Before I watch anything tonight, I'm gonna try switching to the component video cables and see if that fixes the black screen problem.

Oh, and probably most of the night I'll be watching...er...playing my Xbox. :-D

John

Any problems, John? I watched the first half of the U-M game and the start of the Pistons without any blackouts. And Miss Mars seems to be pleasantly free of blackouts, or any flaws whatsoever, over on UPN. I did notice a hiccup or two during My Wife and Kids (kinda like watching a scratched up rental disc that locks up and skips ahead a few seconds every so often), but the signal strength stayed at 97-98 and it was only during that show so I figured it was limited to My Wife and Kids and not necessarily WXYZ in general -- no problems during commercials or now with According to Jim.

Hmm. Went over to the Detroit thread at avsforums on a whim and a couple guys had mentioned the problem I saw with My Wife and Kids. They had been seeing it for a few days now. Nothing about blackouts, though. And despite what they say over there, I haven't personally seen anything since My Wife and Kids ended (although I admit I have trouble watching According to Jim, or Rodney, very long before I have to switch to something good). Whatever it is, I hope they have it handled before Lost airs tomorrow night!

I watched Jeopardy on NBC (had to see Ken lose), Pistons game on WB, and can't remember what else (but it was a satellite channel) without any black screens. Oh, I did switch my connection to the component cables too, so it's possible that the DVI connection was the problem (thanks Ilya!). Having to use the component cables isn't a big deal to me since I couldn't really see a difference in picture quality.

I'm at home today and have had the tube on for a few hours and have not noticed any black screens, so hopefully my troubles with the ocassional black screens are over!

Oh and Timm, yeah, I did notice some video stutters on ABC on Monday when I was watching MNF. The problem seems to be only with ABC, so my guess is there's something going on with their transmission tower.

John

Glad to hear you solved your problem. I too didn't notice that much difference between DVI and component. I am now using my DVI with my DVD player.

It is good to see that others in the Detroit area are having problems with ABC. I have seen the stutters since Sunday night. I hope they fix it by next Sunday night (Desperate Housewives) or else the boss may order D* or Comcast...

Does anyone have a contact at WXYZ that can confirm that they are having an issue?

While we're on the subject of OTA channels, are any of you guys able to get UPN in consistently? Some nights the channel is fine and other nights the channel won't stay in for more than a minute (signal strength fluctuates between 50 and 90).

John

If I remember correctly, channel 50 was the only channel I wasn't getting before I got my antenna upgraded. Now, I don't have any problems with it at all, with a signal quality reading of 99.

I'm getting the occasional black out also using the DVI connection. I thought it had been fixed with the 726 upgrade but apparently not. It seems to be somewhat intermittent though, I cant figure out what's causing it. I called Voom and the rep told me they had a different DVI cable that I could try that might fix the problem. Has anyone else heard of this? I'll try it I guess since they are providing it for free, but I find it hard to believe that whatever cable they're giving me would be better than the one I currently have. (Better Cables Display Magic DVI-3m) I get no drop out whatsoever using component cables (Canare V3-5C)... but unlike others who dont see a significant difference, I do see an improvement in detail and overall image quality using the DVI connection on my Samsung DLP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts