October 4th Uplink Report

Where is NHLHD aka OLNHD? It was on channel 9463 for the playoffs.

And yea, RSNs would be nice in HD for those of us with CI package. The sooner we get them the better.

Still waiting on retrans consent for KCPQ in Seattle. Sacramento is in the same boat with their Fox local KTXL (both owned by Tribune). Has anyone heard anything encouraging?

Last edited:
abricko said:
lets hope not!

Why not? Showtime is already mpeg2 on 110. It would not hurt anything else. In previous free previews the HD feed was available.

Starz is the only one that would need an alternate feed for a preview.

BFG said:
no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what the f is this for!!

dish sucks!!!!

this is already an mpeg2 channel and I already get this and hdnet and hdnmovies remains down converted :(

Relax. This is only the NFLHD channel that was in the 280's--free preview channels. All this means is that NFLHD is no longer available as a free preview, and RAVE will take its place as a free preview. NFLHD is still there, and you can buy it in the appropriate package.

BabaLouie said:
Relax. This is only the NFLHD channel that was in the 280's--free preview channels. All this means is that NFLHD is no longer available as a free preview, and RAVE will take its place as a free preview. NFLHD is still there, and you can buy it in the appropriate package.
You missed the point. The preview channel is sucking away precious bandwidth from the HD net channels

juan said:
You missed the point. The preview channel is sucking away precious bandwidth from the HD net channels

Yes... I was hoping they'd dump that preview channel completely, or move it to another transponder, because it kills the great quality of the HDNet's. The only reason the HDNet channels still look 'acceptable' is because originally they're the best-looking HD channels out there... and DISH has killed them.

Come to think of it, the only HD channel that isn't downscaled by DISH is UniversalHD, because the source bitrate is already very low. (While HBO and Showtime are in 1920 res, the bitrate is lower than the cable versions... not sure about TNT or the ESPN's, although I remember ESPN1 looking better on cable)

I was at my brother-in-law's house last weekend and watched some Comcast HD. I'd hate to say this, but the pic quality from Comcast has influenced my decision to switch from Dish. I've been with Dish now since 1997, and have been Die-Hard loyal to them, but after comparing apples to apples, Comcast by far has better HD quality. I'm going to miss Voom and the HDnet's, but I want HD done right, not halfway, so i'll take the Quality over Quantity. Now who's with me. Let's ALL switch together. Let's show Dish that we will not stand for partial quality. We don't want "Better tv for all", we want "BEST". Oh, and i'll save a little money just like I did when I swithed to Geico. Prost.:bow

Yeah Cox is just as bad here in the Midwest cable as fallen behind for sure.. The Quality is just as good with Dish and in the futre I see it improveing.. :) The Dish Rocks!

Horsnuts said:
I was at my brother-in-law's house last weekend and watched some Comcast HD. I'd hate to say this, but the pic quality from Comcast has influenced my decision to switch from Dish. I've been with Dish now since 1997, and have been Die-Hard loyal to them, but after comparing apples to apples, Comcast by far has better HD quality. I'm going to miss Voom and the HDnet's, but I want HD done right, not halfway, so i'll take the Quality over Quantity. Now who's with me. Let's ALL switch together. Let's show Dish that we will not stand for partial quality. We don't want "Better tv for all", we want "BEST". Oh, and i'll save a little money just like I did when I swithed to Geico. Prost.:bow

If you are in the right area of the country, and have a good Comcast headend, you will get a great picture and a good lineup of channels. If you have anything less than a state-of-the-art system, you won't get much HD. Here in Sacramento, we have ESPN, Discovery, InHD1, and the 5 main locals. They recently removed InHD2, leaving the channel for only FSN-HD and CSN-HD occasional broadcasts. The premiums are all there and look great, but those are a significant extra premium. There has not been a new HD channel added to the Comcast lineup here in over 2 years.

As for cost, I switched over to Dish about 6 months ago, and pay less per month for the HD Gold package with 3-4 times the number of HD channels.

I switched to dish due to the crappy service I got from Time Warner... sorry, won't be leaving any time soon. I paid $105 for crappy service that didn't have anywhere near the number of channels Dish has.

Someone help the "dumb guy"

I do not understand what we are looking at with these reports. I do not understand the nature of shifting carriers around to different transponders. Is there by chance an "Uplink Report For Dummies" on here somewhere?

... and I thought I was smart.

Ah, just skip it as misc info - sometimes we can't find a logic in those movements by long public discussion; only some of Dish bosses knows what's going on. :)

You can treat the DBS business as a disribution of water ( or beer :) ) :
- up there main pumps ( a few on each sat )
- small number of big pipes feed those pumps
- a lot of small pipes coming down

Now imaging, some of pipes are old, some of them damaged, some pumps stop working or intermittenly mailfunctioning; plus one day they adding "Caberne" [HD] for delivery :).
Do you feel how is complicate the system now ?

Last edited:
Smith said:
Ah, just skip it as misc info - sometimes we can't find a logic in those movements by long public discussion; only some of Dish bosses knows what's going on. :)

You can treat the DBS business as a disribution of water ( or bear :) ) :
- up there main pumps ( a few on each sat )
- small number of big pipes feed those pumps
- a lot of small pipes coming down

Now imaging, some of pipes are old, some of them damaged, some pumps stop working or intermittenly mailfunctioning; plus one day they adding "Caberne" [HD] for delivery :).
Do you feel how is complicate the system now ?
Well I understand the complications ... what I don't understand is what "we" gain from this information.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)