Odd little problem...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cfb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
California
Any of you satellite signal gurus want to take a swipe at this one?

My upstairs HR20-100's been working fine, havent really had any obvious issues. I was checking satellite signals and noticed that tuner 2 on 103c was low (60) and took longer to lock than tuner 1. All the other sats and tuners were fine. I did a transponder test on the tuner 2/103c combo and the first two numbers were zero, the rest in the upper 80's or low 90's.

Rebooted, same problem. Checked the connections, they were snug.

Unplugged and waited a minute and plugged it back in, same problem. Other receiver showed good signal, 90+ on everything even 103c.

Re-ran satellite setup and it showed a problem on tuner2/103c.

Went out for a couple of hours, when I got home it was fine. 90+ on all transponders, signal level 91 on tuner2/103c.

Anyone else ever see anything like this? Its a slimline 5/5lnb, no switch...four wires right into the internal switch/lnb. About 20-25 feet of cabling to each receiver since they're both right behind the wall the dish is on.

Check the connectors, including the wall plates and the ground block.
Swap the cables into the receiver and see if the problem moves to the other tuner.

Yeah, I was going to do the switching when it self healed after being left alone for a while. I'd already snugged everything inside and everything was pretty tight.

I havent checked any of the outside connectors, but I snugged those tight last time I had a ladder up over there, less than a year ago.

My downstairs one did the same thing a while back. Tuner 2 went away completely and switching cables didnt work. Unplugged everything, banged the receiver (aka 'percussive maintenance') and tried it again. Just fine ever since.

Only thing I could think of on that one was that the hr20-100 has daughtercard tuners plugged into the mainboard. I'm guessing one of those was loose or needed a jiggle.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)