Odd one on Hooper.

whiteyanderson

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
North Hollywood, CA
This may have been mentioned, but....On Wednesday I noticed my Hopper's red recording light was on for what seemed like a long time. Thinking it odd, but not paying much attention to it, I went about my day. I'm self employed and work from home which is why I noticed it during the day in the first place. Later that day I noticed it on again/still and still thought it odd, but it didn't phaze me. My wife has a hard time comprehending that she cannot record 80 shows at once, and I was too busy to watch TV, so let it be.

So at night I go to bed and turn on the Joey and hit the DVR button. And I'm seeing all these shows in the recordings list. I mean a MASSIVE amount of shows. Some of them were repeats of shows that we already have seen, and we have any timers set to "New Only". Odd. Others were shows that I'd never heard of and know we'd never set a timer for.

But I'm seeing in the DVR list that there are 3 shows recording at once and of course the Joey isn't letting me watch LIVE TV.

To make it short, the Hopper had gone on a RAMPAGE and had been recording seemingly random stuff ALL DAY. Going into the timer list, it had timers set for like the next WEEK non-stop. Like 20 shows at once. I could not get the shows that were currently recording to stop recording. And finally, the only way I could get them to stop was to delete all timers. Then it stopped and has been fine ever since.

It's probably not the biggest deal, but it is slightly annoying as I can already hear the "Why hasn't my show recorded" inquiry already. I did go back in and schedule a couple of the timers I had to deleter and have had no issues since.

Dunno. Weird. Then again maybe one of the dogs stepped on a remote, which still wouldn't explain the complete randomness of what it was recording. Just wondered if anyone else had seen this.

I haven't had it happen or heard of this issue yet. Did you ask your wife if she possibly made all those timers by accident?

I certainly did ask her. She claims to not have. For the record I haven't had many issues either. When I first had it installed the Joey had some connectivity issues with On Demand but they are resolved. And I've had the channel 9 or 11 disappearing from the favorites list. Other than that and the crazy timer issue which hasn't happened again, pretty stable actually.

I've had had the H/J forr almost 2 months and lately (last couple weeks) have had a similar problem, in that shows neither my wife, nor I had scheduled, were recorded. All of the NY Yankees
baseball games during a 3 day period were recorded. Probably would have kept up, but I deleted them, looked for a timer, and there was none!!! Maybe one-time timers were set by
the Hopper Ghost or something. I nor my wife never watch baseball, especially the Yankees. There have been several other unwanted recordings, too, but I have never found a timer that I did not set up. My wife has never set a timer...that's my job.

I certainly did ask her. She claims to not have. For the record I haven't had many issues either. When I first had it installed the Joey had some connectivity issues with On Demand but they are resolved. And I've had the channel 9 or 11 disappearing from the favorites list. Other than that and the crazy timer issue which hasn't happened again, pretty stable actually.

whiteyanderson,
If you do have reocurrence of this, please let me know. This is unusual for this to happen, and I'd like to tracmk this to find out waht happened exaclty.

Unless the timer was set up via the remote or online via one of the online apps, like Dish Online with a Sling Adapter. Your Hopper™ should only work as you desire.

Hopefully, this will be a one-time event.

I've been having this issue also. My wife's favorites won't let her add channel 11 to her favorites after it disappeared. Odd, only the HD channel, not the SD 11. We don't get a channel 9. How did you get it to work right?

I've never been able to resolve it. I'm sorry I guess I sort of implied that I had. Same issue as you I think. It happens randomly and sometimes the channels ARE there in the favorites guide, I'll think they "fixed it" and then the next day it'll be gone again. It also rotates between channels 5,7,9 and 11. So one day if you think it's fixed, see if one of THOSE OTHER channels is missing now. It's always ONE channel missing and it's always an odd numbered local HD. I can go into the fave's set up and select it, close it out and save and then go back in and it will be unchecked (unselected).

At first I only saw it happening on the Hopper. But now it happens very randomly to the Joey. It is annoying but, I've learned to live with it. What I find REALLY annoying is the Hopper defaulting to the MY Channels list. Again that happens randomly but pretty much every day. I thought I had read it was a "feature" so maybe the Joey is borked, because it doesn't do this. Guess we're all different about what we find annoying huh? I find the guide defaulting to My Channels to be infuriating :).

whiteyanderson,
If you do have reocurrence of this, please let me know. This is unusual for this to happen, and I'd like to tracmk this to find out waht happened exaclty.

Unless the timer was set up via the remote or online via one of the online apps, like Dish Online with a Sling Adapter. Your Hopper™ should only work as you desire.

Hopefully, this will be a one-time event.

I will let you know for sure. Has not happened again. I want to say this was Weds of last week, you may ask copperavery who posted above if he remembers when his went nutso too?

I have to say though, that coming from that "other" satellite company, I'm really happy with this system. That other company, MAN I was with them for 7 years and repeatedly wanted to just tear the flesh off my body over how SLOW their boxes were. I had wanted to leave them FOREVER, but like clockwork, a receiver would break every 12 months and they would re-up my contract for another 2 years. I wondered how in the hell I would ever get away from them. I finally stumbled across some info online and learned that they had been lying to me, a replacement for a faulty receiver DOES NOT require a contract renewal. I called them up, demanded retention and confirmed with them that I should have never been renewed. I remained calm, made sure the guy on the phone canceled the contract and notated my account. The next day I called in, got a really RUDE lady in retention, she confirmed that I was not under contract, and I canceled then and there. When she DEMANDED to know why, not asked, DEMANDED, I simply told her that I could no longer deal with a company with such scuzzy business practices who had blatantly lied to me to keep me as a customer, paying a bill to a company I basically hated.

Let that serve as a word of advice to anyone who stumbles across this wanting to switch providers and is being lied to by DirecTV about having to renew your contract because you need to replace one their faulty, trash receivers.

Anyway, pretty happy with Dish so far. My only real gripe is the odd blackouts on MLB network, I can't figure out if it is an MLB issue or a Dish issue reporting me at a different location? Real weird to be blacked out on a Tigers vs Cards game when I live in L.A. I have MLB.tv and am not blacked out on there for any of the games other than the Dodgers and Angels games like I should be. Speaking of Angels, I'm a diehard Giants fan and was really bummed to see tonights game against the Angels wasn't on due to some type of dispute between Dish and Fox? And of course, since I'm in L.A. I can't watch the game on MLB.tv. Bummer.

Can't add one channel to hopper. I have sys 282. When i try to add ch 105 to a menu I have custom stuff in, it won't add it, although the channel does not add and the check removed ter it is added.
I xan ad it to a new guide and it stays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)