Off Air Problems in Northern CA

Wiggin78

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
Redding, CA
Vooming in Palo Cedro, CA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have Voom in Palo Cedro Ca just outside of Redding. We were getting ABC RF 7 since our install in November. We had been waiting for an antenna upgrade to get the rest of the channels when ABC stopped responding. That was just this past weekend. Anyway our installer came out and tried the next best antenna and was getting 79 - 82% reception on RF 7(ABC), RF 24 (NBC), and RF 30 (FOX). The problem is that none of these lock in at 80%. RF 18 (PBS) is at 97% and locks in but until they get NFL Playoff games or "Lost" that doesn't really help us. 7,9, and 30 show up in the Voom menu but only 9 gets a signal. OUr installer said he had never seen the parsed data at the bottom of the Off-Air Antenna screen and maybe we have a bad box. He is bringing out another upgraded Winegard antenna on Wed. to see if that helps. I think this all started happening after the software upgrade. Our version now says 2.4. The parsed data reads as follows

Parsed PSIP Data
1TBD1 2TBD2 3TBD3
4TBD4 5TBD5 6TBD6
7TBD7 8TBD8 9TBD9

Raw PSIP Data
1TBD1 2TBD2 State Variable 7TBD7
3TBD3 4TBD4 Network PID 8TBD8
5TBD5 6TBD6

I don't know if this helps but I could really use some input on this matter. My wife is ready to get rid of Voom if we can't get the locals back. Thanks in advance for your help.

Wiggin78, check Antennaweb.org for your street address. It will tell you how far the towers are from your house, in which direction the antenna should be pointed, and what type of antenna may work.

You can ignore that Parsed PSIP Data. I don't think that PSIP display is enabled yet. And since you are getting the PG, the channels are already in your OTA map, so PSIP data is irrelevant.

Antenna web only shows that we can get ABC, NBC, and PBS. Only PBS, FOX, and ABC show up in the PG and PBS is the only one that comes in. We used to get ABC. I don't think antennaweb has the right info for this area. The installer even had FOX tuned in for a few minutes but it went off after he moved the antenna. He said the stations should lock in at 80%. Why are they not locking in? I have done multiple off-air scans and they still won't lock in even though all of them are at 79 - 82%. Is he wrong that they lock in at 80% or is there something wrong?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)