Off to Ethiopia to install Dishes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Wescopc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 11, 2005
Canby, Oregon
Starting February 9th, I will be away from the forum until the 25th. I have been asked to go to Gimbie, Ethiopia to install some FTA KU 1.8 meter dishes for a hospital, some schools and a couple of churches. I will be there for 2 weeks. I will take pictures to share when I return. :)
Bob

Excellent! :up Enjoy your stay in Ethopia. The Country is the official permanent host of the Head Quarters of the African Union. Make sure you take good pictures of your installations!:D

Wow, Bob, congratulations! - :up

But in addition to all the obvious pictures asked for above, be sure you make the most of any countries you land in on the way over and back.
In fact, if you can arrange a day (or more) most ANYwhere along the way, it'll double the pleasure of your trip.
Doesn't matter where it is.

I've flown -through- a lot of places on the way to somewhere else, and am disappointed I didn't get to stay in:
- Alaska
- Hawaii
- Japan
- Philippines
- Saigon
- and numerous US cities. - :cool:

Do you have to take any tools with you?

Bob, I assume you have to take some tools with you.

What are you taking to install these dishes? Do you have a RISK kit just in case things go wrong?

Way cool - - - - sounds like fun! :up

Bob, I assume you have to take some tools with you.

What are you taking to install these dishes? Do you have a RISK kit just in case things go wrong?

Way cool - - - - sounds like fun! :up
I am taking very few tools with me, F fittings and compression tool, inexpensive sat finder, compass, inclinometer, and a few odds and ends. I will be working with and training two Ethiopians. We need to keep the number of special tools to a minimum. So I will show them how to take a receiver and small TV up on the roof and point the dish. The dishes, receivers, and TV,s have been purchased in the country already. The idea is to make these installs utilizing simple non-penetrating mounts. Gimbie is about one day's drive from Addis, so when we land in Addis we will have to make sure that we have everything we need - otherwise it will be a two day drive to get parts! I don't know what you mean by a RISK kit - but I am all ears.
Bob

Wescopc, Well at least I guess the weather is warm there. Sounds like an interesting trip. Looking forward to how the trip was when you get back. Blind

RISK Kit

I don't know what you mean by a RISK kit - but I am all ears.
Sorry - - - sometimes I use terms from my AirForce days.

A Risk kit was a term used in the C-130 world. We would put parts that broke the most on a pallet when going to remote locations so that we were less likely to break down where no maintenance existed.

In this case since no Lowes or Walmart will be close - - - anything you can think of that is easy to bring that might pay you back big if you run into trouble. It is a trade off - - - MOST LIKELY vs. OH sh*t (I wish I had . . . . !)

Best of success!!

Last edited:
Well in that case - yes I will have a risk kit - taking extra LNBs, dish, receiver, fittings, bolts and nuts. :)
Bob

Have a great trip!

Love to see the equipment that they have located for the project.

We will look forward to some great stories and photos! Travel safe and thanks for using your talents to make the world a better place.

Just in case you read the forum while away some local advice you may not know.
Arabsat (BADR 4&6) Ku has ETV and virtually the same programs as Nilesat but is stronger and far easier to find without an SA. Nilesat is actually relatively weak and Amos 3 degrees apart has quite an elevation difference. Otherwise Intelsat 901 C band has some ETV educational progs but I would have thought 1.8m dish was on the fringe.
Look forward to hearing how you get on.ots of Pix please. Be safe.

good 4 u bob

have a nice trip and good luck with the job and keep post it and some pictures. Manny

Well I am back, Taught a local Ethiopian how to install, so mission accomplished! I learned probably as much as I taught. First rule in Ethiopia is NO rules. So when you buy a dish and an LNB from a retailer - don't expect that they will sell you a matched set. An Ethiopian man was sent a week in advance to purchase the dishes, LNBs, receivers and cabling. When I arrived in Adis I wanted to see what he had purchased - too late already on the truck under a huge load of other things (see picture below). It was an 11 hour trip to Gimbie where I was to do the installs. Upon arrival I found the dishes to be 1.8 meter (6 foot) prime focus with a F/D of 0.35 and LNBs for offset dishes with a F/D of 0.7. We were able to find some Prime Focus LNBs locally! So that solved most of that problem with the exception of the Hospital that needed a dual feed LNB - so we used a mismatched 0.7 twin feed LNB with two runs of over 300' used a 13db gain amplifier on each feed. Had hoped for two channels but settled on one and called it a win. We didn't have time to pour concrete and allow it setup and come up to strength. So two of the dishes were set on wooden poled decks until concrete can be poured later. The hospital had a nice flat concrete roof over the generator building. We stayed in an unfinished "Hotel" no hot water (only cold showers), no running water in the sink, concrete floors, no mirror (I didn't bring one) and of course a hard mat to sleep on (no mattress). You will note the picture of a tanker truck hauling goats on top for extra revenue for the driver! Had a great trip and a great teaching/learning experience.:angel:

Attachments

• Truck loaded for trip to Gimbi.JPG
    Truck loaded for trip to Gimbi.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 248
  • Dish installed at Dongoro school.JPG
    Dish installed at Dongoro school.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 277
  • Gimbie Hospital.JPG
    Gimbie Hospital.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 245
  • Dish at hospital with patients laundry.JPG
    Dish at hospital with patients laundry.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 251
  • Goats being transported atop fuel tanker.JPG
    Goats being transported atop fuel tanker.JPG
    363.4 KB · Views: 251
  • Hotel we stayed at in Gimbie.JPG
    Hotel we stayed at in Gimbie.JPG
    940.6 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts