Off topic: HD DVD player

blkhawk666

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 22, 2004
As I wait for my June 4th install date, I figure to pacify my hunger for anything HD, I was thinking of getting a HD dvd player (added - I guess I mean the DVD players that upconvert a standard DVD signal to HD-compatible 720p or 1080i )So my question to you is: Is it worth it, and if so, what brand and model?
I know of zenith and Samsung. Though I'm confused with the samsung cause there is like a 934 model out but a 834 or something is going to be released. Thanks for all and any help in advance and sorry for being off topic.

blkhawk666 said:
As I wait for my June 4th install date, I figure to pacify my hunger for anything HD, I was thinking of getting a HD dvd player. So my question to you is: Is it worth it, and if so, what brand and model?
I know of zenith and Samsung. Though I'm confused with the samsung cause there is like a 934 model out but a 834 or something is going to be released. Thanks for all and any help in advance and sorry for being off topic.

Where have you seen a HD DVD? Samsung is not expected to release its first until next year. No clear winner on the compression front. MPEG 4 or WM9. Voom is offering both from what I have read. I believe that Sammy is offering both. Not much HD material available on DVD now if you can find it.

gutter said:
Where have you seen a HD DVD? Samsung is not expected to release its first until next year. No clear winner on the compression front. MPEG 4 or WM9. Voom is offering both from what I have read. I believe that Sammy is offering both. Not much HD material available on DVD now if you can find it.

I think I meant the DVD players that upconvert a standard DVD signal to HD-compatible 720p or 1080i. Sorry, a true sign of being a HD greenhorn

I just bought the Zenith DVB318 last week, and I have been very happy with it so far. To me it looks about as good as the upconverted stuff on the VOOM channels like HBO and Showtime and such.

lmao @ buying an HD DVD player and paying 3 times at what it will sell for when HD DVDs are avilable in a couple of years. O and it will probably be outdated by then.

Story of my life

I think that holds true for everything, from our TV to the Voom box. Out of Date when you buy it! Now thats Irony for you!

vurbano said:
lmao @ buying an HD DVD player and paying 3 times at what it will sell for when HD DVDs are avilable in a couple of years. O and it will probably be outdated by then.

Well the Zenith, not an HD player but an upconverter at sub 200 dollars is a fairly great deal in my book.

david

blkhawk666 said:
I think that holds true for everything, from our TV to the Voom box. Out of Date when you buy it! Now thats Irony for you!
not today, the HD sets have come way down in price. A true HD dvd player is gonna cost what? 600 bucks? when it comes out? wait a couple years when there is actually Hd dvds to play and buy it for 200.

ZeitGeist said:
Well the Zenith, not an HD player but an upconverter at sub 200 dollars is a fairly great deal in my book.

david
WHy not buy an upconverter for all inputs? WHy spend the money on upconverting just the dvd signal?

Go to avsforum and you will see plenty of discussion on DVI players in the $200-$300 range. Personally I am waiting for the Bravo D3 which will include WM9 for true HD DVD viewing. But you could get a Bravo D2 if you want just the scaling for HD output.

occammd said:
Personally I am waiting for the Bravo D3 which will include WM9 for true HD DVD viewing.
I'm holding out for this one as well. I emailed VInc to ask them when the D3 was due out and he could not give me a date but put me on a mailing list for product updates/announcements.

I know they have some issues, but I have to give Vinc credit for bringing low cost technology out for the regular joe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)