Offers from DTV When Calling to Cancel

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nck

Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
My two year contract with Direct is up next month and I am considering going with Dish. I'm only doing it to get better (latest and greatest) equipment. When I called DTV to ask when my contract was up, I was offered one year for $65/month for the choice package. I said I really was interested in Dish's Hopper and I know Direct doesn't give their most recent equipment to current subscribers. (Or so I thought!) She offered me the Genie (never heard of it and am slowly learning) for $50. Is this a good deal and will the Genie work with my current HR24 units or will I need lease new stuff? She went home for the night and will call me in the morning, but I'd like to be somewhat prepared when she calls. I would appreciate any help or suggestions - even comments on why I would be disappointed with Dish. Thank you.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

$50 for the Genie is a very good price and it is compatible with the HR24 you have now.

The Genie aka the HR34 for $50 is a SCREAM'IN deal, goes for $ 399 when you call asking for it.

Fwiw, your current stuff is probably Leased as well.

what is your current setup with direct?
and what are you looking at for dish?

i recently had a genie installed, paired with my hr24 its a great setup, 7 tuners

i dont think i would go bak to dish unless they come out with some really nice equipment, and the hopper aint it

Welcome aboard. Please keep in mind the genie is new technology which means inconsistent behavior at times need to reboot more often, etc...as the kinks are worked out).

I have the genie and HR24 and 2 clients...as of right now with national software release you can share DVR content between the HR24 and the Genie....BUT the clients ONLY can see content from the genie.

The genie is not a bad system...I am not one to talk to about the price of leased equipment (don't believe in upfront costs for something I pay monthly for then have to give it back).

Welcome aboard. Please keep in mind the genie is new technology which means inconsistent behavior at times need to reboot more often, etc...as the kinks are worked out).

I have the genie and HR24 and 2 clients...as of right now with national software release you can share DVR content between the HR24 and the Genie....BUT the clients ONLY can see content from the genie.

The genie is not a bad system...I am not one to talk to about the price of leased equipment (don't believe in upfront costs for something I pay monthly for then have to give it back).

Unfortunately this has been the business model since DISH started it quite awhile back. (Cable may have been doing it to, I don't remember) ...
You use to own D* equipment, then they saw how DISH's set up worked and moved to it back around '05/'06.

I have come to LIKE the Lease deal, as it allows me to a) Get more up to date equipment more often and b) I would only have 1 DVR more than likely if the system was the way it was before as the COST was way higher .... The last gen of Tivo started out over a $1000 to purchase.

One BIG difference. Dish charges lease fees but no upfront costs. As a previous Dish customer since 2004 and upgrading to the latest technology every 2 years, I was never charged any upfront equipment fees.

Maybe I was lucky...but I doubt it. They want you to go the latest equipment because of the additional fees associated with the new equip (HD, DVR, whole home/hopper, etc...)

I switched only because of the BTN debacle with Dish.

One BIG difference. Dish charges lease fees but no upfront costs. As a previous Dish customer since 2004 and upgrading to the latest technology every 2 years, I was never charged any upfront equipment fees.

Maybe I was lucky...but I doubt it. They want you to go the latest equipment because of the additional fees associated with the new equip (HD, DVR, whole home/hopper, etc...)

direct will do the same for most customers who are in good standing

Exactly, You don't pay UpFront fee that the D* sub pays once, but you (DISH Subs) with the addl fee for usage, you pay that addl . fee for the lifetime of the equipment, so your paying a whole lot more over the same time period as those charges go on and on while if I pay $200 for a recvr upfront, thats paid for and done with.

Jimbo said:
Exactly, You don't pay UpFront fee that the D* sub pays once, but you (DISH Subs) with the addl fee for usage, you pay that addl . fee for the lifetime of the equipment, so your paying a whole lot more over the same time period as those charges go on and on while if I pay $200 for a recvr upfront, thats paid for and done with.

Compare the monthly fees...they are very...very similar. It would take years upon years to make up the difference.

i've had my HR34(genie) for months now, have had VERY few issues, and nothing a RBR wouldn't fix. being able to record that many at once is a great, i woudl not go without one now.

Dish doesn't charge upfront fees like D* does, but IIRC doesn't E* charge the DVR fee "per box" -- whereas on D* it's $7 per month for the account, regardless of the number of DVR's. Also isn't E*'s high end DVR like $17 per month? The "per box" DVR was always the reason that kept me away from E*.

I do agree about the upfront fees... it just seems "wrong" -- and I remember buying Tivo DVRs back in '03-04 before the lease went into effect... they were $149 "owned" and changed to $149 "leased" -- also the HD Tivo was a grand when it came out as owned--and dropped to $499 "owned" right before going to "leased" -- so I think the real reason was more about control and anti-piracy than actually leasing anything. That said, D* is only $7 for DVR service on the account... Comcast wants $15.99 per HD DVR here per month.

--Nat

Jimbo said:
Not really, If I pay 200 each for 2 recvrs and you pay $10 (avg.) per recvr per month ...

Here is the comparison (for example)
Dish Network:
2 722s (4 distinct signals/2HD):
$0 upfront costs
$17 per receiver (receiver fee plus DVR fee)
Total Monthly = $34

Directv:
1 HR24, 1 Genie, 2 clients (only 4 distinct signals, but 4 HD)
$219 w/tax upfront (199 for HR24)
$20 Advanced Receiver Fee
$12 Additional TV 2 clients
$6 Primary TV Fee
$6 Additional TV Fee
-$6 Primary TV Free
I don't count the $10 Advanced receiver discount because it is not guaranteed.
Total Monthly Fee = $38

You actually pay more per month with Directv. You do gain 2 HD signals, but the average household doesn't have more than 2 HD TVs.

Not sure how one could prefer Directv's model over Dish...but everyone's situation is different. I think it has more to do with the premise of paying for something upfront and monthly for something you don't own.

Dish Network:
$0 upfront costs
Total Monthly = $34

Directv:
$6 Primary TV Fee
$6 Additional TV Fee
-$6 Primary TV Free
Total Monthly Fee = $38

You actually pay more per month with Directv. You do gain 2 HD signals, but the average household doesn't have more than 2 HD TVs.

Not sure how one could prefer Directv's model over Dish...but everyone's situation is different. I think it has more to do with the premise of paying for something upfront and monthly for something you don't own.

you are not comparing apples to apples
#1the advanced reciever fee includes whole home viewing, hd service,
$10 is credited for 24months (or live for some older plans)

add the hd cost the dish plan 44 vs 38

then add in the fact that 4hd feeds vs 2 hd 2 sd, nope doesnt equal out either

why not compare the directv package to a 722 eith hopper and 2 clients

oh wait you cant use older equioment.

if your gonna compare the 2 fees lets do it this way
your 2x722

vs 4 hr24
primary free
2nd $6
third $6
fourth 6
thats 18, lets throw in whole home for 4 and hd for 10

thats 32

oh 32 vs 34
8 tuners vs 4
4hdtv vs 2hd 2 sd

thats more fair

wanna try 4 722 vs 4 hr24?

you are not comparing apples to apples
#1the advanced reciever fee includes whole home viewing, hd service,
$10 is credited for 24months (or live for some older plans)

add the hd cost the dish plan 44 vs 38

then add in the fact that 4hd feeds vs 2 hd 2 sd, nope doesnt equal out either

why not compare the directv package to a 722 eith hopper and 2 clients

oh wait you cant use older equioment.

if your gonna compare the 2 fees lets do it this way
your 2x722

vs 4 hr24
primary free
2nd $6
third $6
fourth 6
thats 18, lets throw in whole home for 4 and hd for 10

thats 32

oh 32 vs 34
8 tuners vs 4
4hdtv vs 2hd 2 sd

thats more fair

wanna try 4 722 vs 4 hr24?

Thanks for further making my point...do a new customer quote on Directv.com and see how much you would pay upfront for 4 HR24s...$500...compare that to 2, 3 or 4 722s with zero upfront costs and it would take years to make up the monthly fee difference.

??

You're saying as a new customer you can call Dish and get 2, 3 or 4 722s with zero upfront cost? I suppose that is possible, but highly improbable beyond the 2nd one. And you can't even configure a new sale that way with Dish's site at all these days. Hell, you can't hardly configure anything on Dish's site these days as they dumbed down the ordering process. Heck, you can't even get 2 Hoppers for free as a new customer.

And while you can't get 2 HR24s for free with D* online configuration tools, you can and I got 2 HR24s for free when calling as a new/returning customer.

Dish Network:
$0 upfront costs
Total Monthly = $34

Directv:
$6 Primary TV Fee
$6 Additional TV Fee
-$6 Primary TV Free
Total Monthly Fee = $38

I won't call your comparison bogus, because it could be true for someone that just used the site to config in the case of Direct. But since you can't config the way you show with Dish with their online ordering, we'll look at something more realistic when calling in to order.

Dish Network :
I'll assume you are correct in the config. But your total is incorrect. With 2 722s the lease fee would be $17/month as the first one is free.

DirecTV -
Here's where your comparison falls apart and you had to cherry pick to show a vastly higher upfront cost. Since the 2 722s will only provide 4 total TVs with distinct signals, it is only fair to compare a Direct setup that does the same thing.

So....
1 Genie, 3 C31 clients (4 distinct HD signals)
$0 upfront cost
$20 Adv. Rcvr fee
-$10 Adv Rcvr Fee discount (yes it is guaranteed for a new customer for at least 2 years)
$6 Primary TV fee
$18 (for 3 C31 clients)
-6 Primary TV fee

Total monthly = $28

So D* is $11/month in fees higher for this configuration.

For that $11/month you get 4 distinct HD signals, you get PIP on the Genie even while the 3 C31s are using the system, and you get total sharing of recordings to all.

Of course you can also get nearly the same thing with a Hopper + 3 Joeys (with fewer tuners), but the cost would be :
Hopper + 3 Joeys
$0 upfront cost
$10 MRV+DVR
$21 lease fee for 3 Joeys

Total monthly = $31

And that makes the D* cheaper by $3/month.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)