Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Please use this thread to discuss the new L4.01 software release.

If you were selected as a "tester" make sure you report any items you see which may seem strange or bugs you may to Echostar. (And then report it here) :)

This software contains the following new features:

All existing VOD and TV Entertainment content will be deleted from the HD.

Side-by-Side PIP allows the display of two channels side-by-side on the screen when the PIP button is pressed 3 times.

Search and Themes functionality will be noticeably changed

TV Entertainment button will no longer be grayed out when no content is available

HD Channel Map-down

HD Channel Logo

Swap key toggles the last two sort options

Increase the number of daily scheduled events to 576 (from 288)

# key will bring up a Keyword pop-up screen

HDMI test screen (found under the Diagnostics menu Analysis button)

Of course I read this when I get to work!!! Interesting stuff. Too bad the deletion of VOD content doesn't give us more recording space. Hmmmm... A keyword pop-up? Does this mean you can use this to then search the guide for anything related? That would be a great feature. I guess I'll have to wait 8 hours until I get home to see if I got the update!

Got L4.01 at 3:20 AM EDST. I was not a "beta" tester that I know of. Still haven't tried all the new features, but the "Analysis" items look cool. Have no idea what most of them do and am afraid to test the "Upload Logs", "HDMI Test", and "Send Status". Will wait for the experts here to explain what they do.

Now, if I could only get Indy locals in high def. I've read that Dish has been promising them for almost a year now.

As I said in another thread, I have not recieved L4.01,yet. I would be curious in the email mine said Friday 3/23 aroind midnight, did all the emails say that?

thanks

I've only played with the software for a few minutes and so far and have no problems to report. One added bonus that I just discovered that was not mentioned, is that the buffers will now stay paused even after you hit the swap button. Sweet!

Although not a bug, on the side by side PIP I wish you could use the "#" format button to stretch to fill the screen or make one screen bigger than the other. You see, we'll never be completely happy. I just hope they also fixed the audio skipping and drop outs, it's been very annoying. We'll see. I'll report back once I have more time on the new software, but so far so good!

Not a beta tester but I got it on my 622. Don't have too much time to play with the receiver but I noticed the DishComm option in the menu, it discovered my 622. I also tried the HDMI test and of course the HD channel map-down. No problems to report so far.

FYI, DishComm not functioning: Neither of my 622s will communicate with each other althought they do recognise "themselves". I tried manually adding each one using the R # (tried both as receiver and modem)and get "error adding DishCOMM device". I do have surge surpressors on both units and assume this is why.

I received the software upgrade on my 622 last night as well. I only had a second to really do anything with it...just noticed that my HD channels are grouped better and have a HD logo next to the channel (which I like much more than the yellow). I'll have to play around with it a bit more tonight.

First I must say that I am very pleased to be included in this test process. I have found one potential bug that did require a front panel reset. I am going to go through the beta test guidelines sent in the email. Then I will send info to E*. The first Christmas morning suprise I found was it appears E* has a handle on the OTA signal loss overpower/multipath tuner issue.

WHAT THE F#%K!

I requested the early release of the software and this morning I turn on my TV and press the up-arrow from the screen saver to see if I have the new software. It says I still have the old L366. I press Done to return to the screen saver then press Select and I get a message that your hard drive has been corrupted and all recorded content will need to be erased. Sorry for the inconvenience. There is a OK button on the message. I do not select it and just unplug the thing.

Well it just rebooted and all is as it was. L366 and the drive has all my programs on it.

That was a close one.

Last edited:
Cognato read the error carefully it is VOD content ONLY not your DVR content. Similar to when you take a windows update from Microsoft and it doesn't complete. So you have to try update again. It for some reason found corrupt data in your VOD and instead of crashing it chose to delete it its a good thing...

So far, so good! I don' have time now to fully test everything per the email but I like what I see so far. The map down is sweet, the HD logo is a welcome addition and there's one thing that made me :D when looking through the setup. I'll test it after work & see what happens but so far, it's good stuff!

I got the same corrupted drive message too. Was scary to lose unwatched yet three Lost episodes, 2 Prison Break episodes and some others. Also rebooted instead of clicking OK (decided if I will loose it then let it be after reboot). It helped. Every show is safe. Timers are safe too. It was a close call.

Can someone please call in sick and spend the day testing the new update :p . I did not get the update last night, just the "corrupted data" message.

I got the same corrupted drive message too. Was scary to lose unwatched yet three Lost episodes, 2 Prison Break episodes and some others. Also rebooted instead of clicking OK (decided if I will loose it then let it be after reboot). It helped. Every show is safe. Timers are safe too. It was a close call.
At least it was not just me.

I do have some locked recordings. That is the only thing I can think of that may be a bit out of the ordinary.

As I said in another thread, I woke up to the 760 Error that my HD was corrupted. I just rebooted instead of selecting "Delete". I did check for the s/w update but I didn't get it. I then reset my "Update" time to 8am but left for work before then.

I'll report back tonight.

So this means they tried the update if this happens? Do you need to select the "delete now" button in order to continue the update?

I woke up late and didn't check before coming to work. But I just called stepson, and we got the same error message. He unplugged without clicking the "delete now" and we are back to normal as well (L366). I am not home and I don't have the menu settings memorized.

Can someone tell me which menu items to select to manually upload the update so I can tell him over the phone?

Can any of you guys explain to me why E* is duplicating all the HD channels (except the Voom channels) in the ALL HD channel lineup? Now there are duplicates of HBO, Shotime, Starz. Also Discovery, National Geography, Food, etc. Why they need to do this? Its confusing to me. Can it be change?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)