Official 622 L4.01 Discussion Thread

davhamer

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 24, 2005
L401 Caller ID - Search-Theme Screen Bug
I have already reported this, but would appreciate it if you guys would see if you can duplicate this. Here are the steps to generate the bug:

1. Make sure caller ID is enabled (and u have caller ID)
2. Left arrow takes u to the Search and Themes Screen
3. Have someone call you on the line that has caller ID

Neither screen is releasable. Caller ID keeps coming back up after
depressing 'OK'. Cancel or Select is ineffective in clearing the
screens. The only way i could get out was to power the unit off.

Thanks to those that can check this out. As i said, i have already reported it.

Bill

I have recreated the Caller id-Search bug. Same thing happened to me. I couldn't get out of the screen by pressing OK or CANCEL. I have reported the bug as well to E*. However, you can get out of the screen, if this happens again by pressing view live TV on your remote. That worked for me.

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
Sounds like L4.01 needs to go back in the oven, it ain't done yet. :rolleyes:

NightRyder

I see two problems with the new software update, too many features and fixes to implement on one software update and there are several different revisions of 622 receivers. Each revision has different quirks and problems with new software updates.

So if someone sees a problem in his receiver, don't say "I don't have that problem" because you may have a different revision. Each revision seems to be affected differently by the update. They should've stuck to one revision and make it easier on them to fix the problems.

But that's just my opinion. :hatsoff:

davhamer

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 24, 2005
Sounds like L4.01 needs to go back in the oven, it ain't done yet. :rolleyes:

NightRyder

Eh. No more buggy than some other previous software versions. But we are beta testing after all.:rolleyes:

I haven't had the OTA problems that some have had, basically because I can't get them. The only problems I've encountered is sometimes the aspect ratio is screwed when going from an SD channel to a mapped down HD channel, and the caller ID thing mentioned before. So far, the split screen has worked fine as well as DVR functions. Only a few minor glitches here.

At least we get to test it, report problems, and hopefully get the bugs worked out before a glitchy software is unleashed on the masses. I do like the features that E* is trying to add. Especially the side-by-side PIP.

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
L401 has still killed my OTA locals, yes I have done check switch and power cord reboot, both several times. This sucks!

Have you tried to check under the hd setup menu what you have your analog type set to? IF you have it set to cable or anything but "off air" you will not get any ota locals and you won't be able to do a scan that works either to identify them. The setting might have been changed due to the new software and if so it might just be a bug. IF this is the cause change it to off air and then rescan your ota locals.

epaul

SatelliteGuys Family
May 14, 2006
Have you tried to check under the hd setup menu what you have your analog type set to? IF you have it set to cable or anything but "off air" you will not get any ota locals and you won't be able to do a scan that works either to identify them. The setting might have been changed due to the new software and if so it might just be a bug. IF this is the cause change it to off air and then rescan your ota locals.

Just a quick note, My wife loves the new PIP, no glitches of note except for maybe some timer problems, will explore those. My OTA antenna setting was not
changed with this update.

NightRyder

1978 Y88 T/A 6.6 4 spd 1978-2020 RIP
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
NW Oregon
I see two problems with the new software update, too many features and fixes to implement on one software update and there are several different revisions of 622 receivers. Each revision has different quirks and problems with new software updates.

So if someone sees a problem in his receiver, don't say "I don't have that problem" because you may have a different revision. Each revision seems to be affected differently by the update. They should've stuck to one revision and make it easier on them to fix the problems.

But that's just my opinion. :hatsoff:

Just once I wish they would fix the existing bugs before adding more features (and bugs), dish programmers have proven time and time again they aren't capable of doing both.

I really like the 622 the way it is, and there are only 2 features I would like to see added.

1. External storage
2. The ability to turn off their worthless VOD and reclaim that disk space.

NightRyder

cebbigh

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2005
Frostbite Falls
Because not all OTA digital channels are HD. And Dish already has this screwed up because in the All HD channel list it shows all OTA channels, even the SD ones.

I'd like to see them labled too, but if they labled OTA as HD someone would be bound to get confused with the HD Locals. (I know that sounds stupid but I'd bet it would happen.) They could stick a DIGITAL or OTA label on them just to differentiate from the SD channels for those that still watch them because they can't get all the OTA channels in their area.

cebbigh

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2005
Frostbite Falls
The HD mapdown is great once ya get the duplicates and SD channels locked out to clean up the guide.

Try doing a search for a future program using the search page that you access using the # sign now that you've locked out the duplicates. It wasn't working yesterday.

odbrv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 21, 2004
Lubbock, Tx
went to dish interactive channel 100 and tried to get the weather channel under news. I then got a password screen. Since I never set a password I selected ok and left the passwork blank. It gave me back an error message that the password is invalid and exited the application. I don't know how to fix this. The accuweather application was available. However all my favorites were gone. It said this was my first use and I had to reset everything. I have reported this to E* and hope they will respond. Any hints???

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
Just once I wish they would fix the existing bugs before adding more features (and bugs), dish programmers have proven time and time again they aren't capable of doing both.

I really like the 622 the way it is, and there are only 2 features I would like to see added.

1. External storage
2. The ability to turn off their worthless VOD and reclaim that disk space.

NightRyder

I hear you. They should concentrate on making sure the receivers work properly (5xx) first before they add new features. Once they fix them then begin adding new features. The external storage has been expected for several months now and nothing yet.

skyviewmark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 29, 2006
Bay Minette, Al
Well, I keep hearing people talking about L4.01 being full of bugs.. And I just can't find any worth mentioning.. L3.66 had bugs.. L4.01 has bugs. But I haven't foound anything that deserves them canning it all and starting over. I love the PIP and the mapdown.. DishComm might be great once they get other receivers capable. I have put my 622 through multiple scenarios.. And other than a glitch here and there, I see nothing to really complain about.. My OTA local scan picked up a set of channels from another city that I could never get before.. So they fixed something on the OTA tuner. Still get multipath on some, but I had that before so I can't say it's any more of a problem than it was.

So all in all I say it's a better than average software.. Meaning Dish got enough right on it to call it a success.. Send it on out Dish.. I have another 622 that still has L3.66.. I want L4.01 on it too..

J_Pro

Dec 14, 2006
Problem reported to Dish: Lock out HBOHD 9456 with intent of using HBOHD 300 as the single representation of the channel. Try doing a search for a movie using the # key to bring up the menu. The search will not yield info for either 9456 or 300 (but will display hits for all the other HBO subchannels that happen to also have a scheduled showing of the movie). Conversely lock out HBOHD 300 and do a search it will display hits for HBOHD 9456 but confuses other HBOHD subchannels (ex 301) as beiing HD (represents 301 as being an HD channel on the results screen)

I reported this too as well as the fact if you lock out the mpeg4 hd locals in the 6000 range and only use the channel map down to the lower numbers, you get no search results for either channel in the hd range. So you can not use channel map down mirrored channels without leaving the larger number versions of the same channels out of the lock out option. I see a problem with this. How many people want several channels in different ranges all cluttering up thier guides? And how will Dish eventully replace all sd channels with thier hd versions if they are mirrored to there lower sd channel numbers and the search features don't work? This needs to be addressed as it limits all search features with the mapdown channels. I consider this a major bug .

Just got home from work and errands. Glad someone else see's this as a problem. Got an email reply from dish that they recognise it and are working on it. It's pretty obvious to me that with any experience people aren't going to want to do searches this way!

I have had this problem even before L4.01 on the 622. The problem has always existed on the SD map down too. If you have the 8000's locked you won't get a double digit SD local for a search result just like when you have the 6000's locked you don't get the double digit HD mapped channel for a search result.

kokomogator

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 9, 2006
I still have not received the update......anyone know why? I have the 622 and I always turn it off at night.

Thanks in advance for the reply!

jmcgarrity

Mar 16, 2006
Ota

Since I received L401, my OTA locals have become unwatchable. Don't have this problem on my 942. Anybody else having this problem? When I call dish they always say to push the power button. The problem ppersists.

lakebum431

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
Norris, TN
I still have not received the update......anyone know why? I have the 622 and I always turn it off at night.

Thanks in advance for the reply!

It is only in limited release. Only those who signed up to help test and a small batch of others have received the update at this time. Hopefully it will spool to everyone else soon. Unless there are major problems found, I would expect it next week.

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
The HD mapdown is great once ya get the duplicates and SD channels locked out to clean up the guide.

I agree . That is what I did to clean up the sd uplicates . I lock all channels out I don't like or need. As I reported earlier in this thread , the problem with this software is that when you lock out the hd channels in the 9000 range or the hd locals in the 6000 range , you will not get any search results for those channels in either the 9000 range or the mirrored lower channel numbers. I use the search features to look for movies in the system daily to see what I want to record. This is a bug . It will eliminate the ability to replace all the sd channels with their hd counterparts if the search features don't work with them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)