Official 622 L4.01 Discussion Thread

You can bet I ain't gonna try! Nope no OTA scanning here 'til this bug is confirmed to be fixed.

I guess I was feeling a little brave tonight. I did a OTA scan about an hour ago just to see if it still worked. Worked fine, found the same channels as always and it didn't lock up after exit the local channels menu.

I did the rescan even after losing all my OTA signal Friday night. I have not been able the repeat the OTA loss though.

I guess I was feeling a little brave tonight. I did a OTA scan about an hour ago just to see if it still worked. Worked fine, found the same channels as always and it didn't lock up after exit the local channels menu.

I did the rescan even after losing all my OTA signal Friday night. I have not been able the repeat the OTA loss though.

Still ain't gonna try it...I'm yeller.

I rescanned OTAs on both 622s today to see if it would pick up any more channels, no additional channels but no problems either. I did not clear the list first. Both 622s have 4.01 and still have all the same bugs they had before but no new ones so I can live with that.

Here is my feedback so far based on notes I made over the weekend. Some of the bugs I’m reporting existed in the previous releases.

1. Great job on the PIP, finally can pause and have it still paused when I swap back to it.
2. The side-by-side PIP for 4:3 content looks more square than 4:3. 16x9 content looks ok.
3. “Trick modes” seem almost random at this point, skip back in particular appears to skip randomly between 7-25 seconds and a couple of times I hit skip back once and it went back several minutes.
4. Pressing “swap” while watching a DVR event, the DVR event stops and is replaced with a live tuner.
5. PIP windows are too far from the edges.
6. Swap does not include the OTA during a scheduled OTA recording. PIP should cycle between all the tuners including OTA, not just the two most recently used. In Dual mode PIP should be available for the “SAT1” tuner and the OTA tuner. Suggestion, PIP should work in dual mode also, at least from TV1.
7. Need a remote sequence to switch modes. Currently the only option is the front panel button.
8. The bottom edge of EPG is cut off on the HD outputs when EPG is “extended partial with video”. I believe in fact there is “overscan” at top and bottom on the HD outputs.
9. There is no descriptive text for “Extended” in the screen where the EPG settings are selected.
10. The “Browse to PIP” feature turns off Dolby Digital when executed. I found this while watching a VOOM channel, browsing and pressing PIP, my HT receiver switched from DD to Pro Logic mode (connected with optical)
11. Caller ID – after the upgrade, the history screen was empty until the next call was received, then the history was populated normally again with all previously existing calls. Scroll up/down in the Caller ID history causes the buttons to blur.
12. Menus – there are a lot of places where “Cancel” aborts all the way out to full screen TV, instead of going back to the previous level.
13. Was watching “Planet Earth” DVR’ed on DiscoveryHD Sunday night; noticed several times where there was some macroblocking and it seemed to skip ahead. I’m not sure if this was in the program or a receiver problem.

Weird that my 622 and 522 with L414 both all of a sudden show a shift to the left on the Guide.

I use it non stop so it is a new quirk.

The fact its doing it on two TVs tells me its not the TV plus the TV picture is fine and flush to the right. Its the overlay of the Guide.

It to me appears the PiP window is a little more to the left

maybe its me but a 27 inch regular Sony XBR and 34 inch HD XBR WEGA on the same day show display overlay shifts and the 522 and 622 both are doing it.
Before the last day i never really saw the blue background when scrolling through shows and now I can see it.

now after looking at the screenshots here i guess it's normal (now at least) but i never until now saw the right 'edge' like here

http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=15406&d=1174579672

but this i can now just go, well its not my TV and live with it but anyone else see this and recall it being more to the right ?

13. Was watching “Planet Earth” DVR’ed on DiscoveryHD Sunday night; noticed several times where there was some macroblocking and it seemed to skip ahead. I’m not sure if this was in the program or a receiver problem.

I experienced this watching a program DVR'd (with 4.01) on Showtime. I have not had that problem before.

It is only in limited release. Only those who signed up to help test and a small batch of others have received the update at this time. Hopefully it will spool to everyone else soon. Unless there are major problems found, I would expect it next week.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if it was just the testers or a large percentage of folks.

I have the exact same problem and reported it on DBSTalk as well. For some reason it is something to do with Charlotte locals. It also broke anything I had recorded in the past before the update from the HD Locals.

I too am in Charlotte and are also having the problem with my HD locals. Something tells me this problem may not be on the top of the list to be fixed by E*!

You can bet I ain't gonna try! Nope no OTA scanning here 'til this bug is confirmed to be fixed.

I sent in my bug report with this issue and also sent in an email to tech support on the dish website. They replied saying they are not aware and wanted all of my reciever info so they could look into it. It may help for everyone else with this problem to also do this (it MAY speed things up)

With the L4.01 update i had no problems with Over-The-Air channels Until Yesterday when i went to setup some Dish Pass Events, This is what i done with Dish Pass.

1.) Turned to Local OTA Channel 017-01.
2.) Went Ahead a couple hours and selected the program.
3.) Then I selected Dish Pass.
4.) Then Selected options.
5.) Then Selected set channel.
6.) Then clicked/highlighted set channel and then entered Channel 017-01 to be the only channel to record on for that program.
7.) Then clicked done.
8.) Then Done Again.
9.) Then Create timer.

Then this is when i lost my OTA channels, But as soon as i done a front panel 10 second reset they came back in. I then tried it on a different channel and it done the same thing, When i reset the reciever they came back in.

And yes i sent this in to Dish Beta Team Yesterday.

Just posting my experience here for members to see.

Labeling the channel as HD is great but in my list of recorded events I would really rather know if the PROGRAM is HD. But I amy be asking too much.

Labeling the channel as HD is great but in my list of recorded events I would really rather know if the PROGRAM is HD. But I amy be asking too much.

If it is recorded off a HD channel it is marked as HD in the listing. OTA HD is not marked.

After a weekend of testing I see 1 issue. I switched over to a HDMI cable for audio and video. While I was watching CBS HD my other tuner started recording another show. The second it started recording on Starz HD I lost my dolby digital signal on CBS HD and it started broadcasting in 2 channel stereo. I switched over to Starz and stopped the recording. I then switched back to CBS HD and had dolby digital back. Also during the weekend I lost audio a couple of more times.

I think the loss of OTA is a new bug introduced in l401. Seems to occur somewhat randomly and is not related to the scanning (or adding/deleting) ota bug. That older bug looks to be fixed.

In my case I had rebooted once Friday after a different crash, and the machine probably did its normal Saturday and Sunday reboots. It lost OTA Sunday evening as I switched from one OTA channel to another. Afterwards no OTA channel was showing signal and eventually went to a reboot to regain OTA .

I sent this OTA bug, the crash and one other in my report to Dish.

Here's a few things I found that I've already sent back as feedback to the bugs email.

1. Strange timing issue with overlapping events.

Scenario: Was recording basketball starting at 5PM on an OTA channel. Also was recording Amazing Race at 8PM on same OTA channel. To ensure I didn't miss any of basketball, I attempted to extend the time up until 8PM, however when I did that it would say that it overlapped the recording at 8PM.

I resolved it by extending the 5PM basketball recording until 7:45 (extending it 45 minutes), then I scheduled the 8PM Amazing Race to start 15 minutes early and everything worked out. Alternatively I could have recorded the event between the two OTA events and not extended any of them.

2. Same scenario as above. Had one OTA event recording. Then I selected pause. I selected swap to listen to a music channel (6021) while the first OTA event was recording. The OTA event finished recording and then a second OTA event started recording while I still had the music channel playing. Later, I selected swap to go back to the OTA channel but was surprised to see the second OTA event playing and was live.

I expected that when I selected swap it would go back to the first OTA event at the point where I had paused. This contrasts with other times when I swap between tuners that are paused. The "sticky pause" works properly in most scenarios but it appears to lose the "sticky pause" if the event ends while paused.

3. Sometimes after returning to the TV from standby WRAL and WRAZ OTA channels will display "DIGITAL SERVICE" instead of the guide info. Usually the correct guide info will return when I do a "point dish" and force guide data to be downloaded. This also happened with releases prior to 4.01 so it may not be a new issue.

4. I had one occurrence where I could not tune to a OTA channel from the guide but could by using using the up-down channel buttons.

Scenario: Was watching HBO-HD for several hours in the morning. I left home and the tuner went into standby. Then later in the evening I resumed watching the TV and brought it out of standby I could not select any OTA channel in the EPG. I resolved it by manually changing the channel with the up-down button to get to a OTA channel. Once I had tuned to at OTA channel I was then able to select an OTA channel from the EPG.

Note: I have seen similar behavior prior to 4.01. Usually it is with WRAL or WRAZ that will often lose it's guide info and display "DIGITAL SERVICE" instead of the correct guide information. I have never seen it occur with an OTA channel that displays correct guide information until 4.01 but I can't confirm that the issue didn't previously exist.

5. Can confirm the limit on timers. The increase is much appreciated however would prefer to have even more than 576. I sometimes have to narrow down my timers to a specific time or channel to ensure I don't miss events or create one time events in some circumstances.

6. I was unable to get frame-by-frame advance to work properly on a recorded SD channel. I don't recall if this worked properly in the previous release but frame-by-frame rewind seemed to work as well as all other ff and rewind modes.

7. Had a strange issue with OTA channels.

Scenario: My local WRAL had added a 5.4 channel last week for the NCAA basketball games and I had scanned local channels and added. That channel was dropped last Sunday (3/18) but I still had it added as a channel. OTA channels initially with 4.01 were tuning in just fine, however I attempted to tune to the 5.4 channel from the EPG. I expected to see a blank screen and did. Then I changed the channel to another OTA channel that was valid and also saw a blank screen. Puzzled, I tried yet another OTA channel and still received a blank screen. Finally, changed to a satellite channel HBO-HD and still saw a blank screen. A power cycle was needed to correct the situation.

After reading all these posts, I'm kinda glad I missed out on the update.

What you are seeing is the problems. They are limited to some receivers.. Not many people write things that say their receivers are working great.. From what I have seen most people like the update and are having few if any problems with it. My 622 has not had one glitch so far. And I love the new software..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts