OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

welcome

This is my first post here, EVER. So I want to do is point out the irony that FOX's website is called "Get What I Paid For", but it's FOX, not Dish that's actually keeping me from watching what I pay for. Luckly I'm not affected by the loss of RSNs. So at least I can watch my NHL and NBA when they start up.

Also, I'm tired of hearing people yell about not being able to watch Sons of Anarchy (Mostly on FOX's site). Seriously, I got into the new FX show Terrier's, and when it was announced two days before FOX pulled the switch, I took ten minutes and found multiple sites on the net that give FX programing leagally for free, including FX's own website.

Finally, FOX is now threatening to pull the network and MyTV (who actually watches MyTV). Geuss what FOX, all I have to do is put a OTA antenna on my roof and point it toward the broadcast signal. Not scaring me.

I'm not saying that I'm 100% on Dish's side, but FOX is making it sound like I'm done if I don't leave for DirecTV or Cable, quite frankly I'm inconvienced, but not enough to rip my Dish off the roof.

:welcome

Are they dropping Fox soccer channel, Fox soccer+ and FS espanol ? As of this moment I am getting them.

Another point that I would like to make is about the on going Disney dispute. Quite frankly, my daughter can still see Mickey in SD (I know it's not HD) but Mickey is still there. The only thing that annoyed me was the lost of the expanded sports bar on ESPNEWS; however, in their ever growing worring about the entertainment side of their programing, ESPN took away the expanded sports bar (I laughed when I saw that cahnge on my cousin's Comcast HD). The only shame is no ESPN U in HD, but we never had to begin with, so stop crying about Disney HD. The FOX issue is much worse with the two or three channels you lost than loosing Disney HD.

Dish takes away channels that I am paying for, but Dish is not paying for them while in dispute. Why do I have to call to get a discount. Dish should credit all their customers for the channels they remove for the period that they are not paying for them . Amen!!!

I lost Disney HD and ABC Family, Nat geo and more, but not a penny have I seen in a bill reduction. Dish, where are these negotiations saving me money.

That's because its hurray for Charlie and screw the subscriber. They probably have some fine print that says they can make changes to channels whenever they want. I'm sure the Damn lawyers have Charlies arse covered. All this BS just to watch tv :shocked

I'm so glad I have DirecTV and C band.

Yep. That's a fact. :rolleyes:"Charlie's fighting..."

for himself. What he pays to the programmers has little bearing the price being charged to the consumer. People forget that if every programmer upped their pricing 5 percent yearly, and Dish Network then raised rates to consumers by 5 percent, one-half of the rate increase goes directly to the programmers and the other half goes in Dish Network's wallet.

I'm trying to let it go, but the fact remains too many have extremely biased arguments, and if people actually looked at the facts, they would be really upset.

Biased? This is coming from someone who takes the side of whoever is against dish.

FOX has pulled FX and it's other channels off Dish because Dish would not capitulate to a 50% increase in rates.

Nothing ever came with Absolute, except Death. HD only packs were a perfect example of charlie f'ing the customer.
I don't think you can pin that one on Charlie. In fact, I'm surprised Dish was able to get the contracts in place to even offer The HD Only packages in the first place. From the channels that are absent I think it's pretty easy to see which content producers don't want to cannibalize subscribers from their SD-only channels in order to offer channels that they have in HD as a standalone option. From an advertising standpoint their ad pricing is determined by how many subscribers have the ability to see the channel, so they're walking away from money if they give up subscribers on their multitude of SD-only channels.

I think Charlie takes some negotiations/battles too far (Tivo, Rainbow Media, Disney, FOX), but I'll give him credit that there isn't another pay TV company even attempting to get a HD-only lower cost package out to consumers.

I don't think you can pin that one on Charlie. In fact, I'm surprised Dish was able to get the contracts in place to even offer The HD Only packages in the first place. From the channels that are absent I think it's pretty easy to see which content producers don't want to cannibalize subscribers from their SD-only channels in order to offer channels that they have in HD as a standalone option. From an advertising standpoint their ad pricing is determined by how many subscribers have the ability to see the channel, so they're walking away from money if they give up subscribers on their multitude of SD-only channels.

I think Charlie takes some negotiations/battles too far (Tivo, Rainbow Media, Disney, FOX), but I'll give him credit that there isn't another pay TV company even attempting to get a HD-only lower cost package out to consumers.

Hemi tries to pin everything on Charlie he has an axe to grind.

I wish dish would settle this with Fox. I have answered calls from angry customers pretty much all since the takedown. Many are threatening to cancel. It's not new for dish or any other pay tv provider to have a channel removed during a new contract dispute, but this is the worst multi channel takedown I have had to deal with. Charlie says he wants to keep customers from paying too much, but the prices always increase on February 1st of each year.

Dish will not waive the the cancellation fee for a customer wanting to cancel for this reason. That is way the service agreement customers sign after new installation or an upgrade always says "Prices and programming are subject to change" (I have said that to customers too many times in the past couple of days).