OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

lol @ dishnetwork changing my setting on my DVR.

When I hit the "DVR" button, the next immediate menu has been changed. It's all new!
Apparently, they're seeking more money because they list 4 movies for PPV renting. :tux: The movies listed are "Get him Greek", "The Experiment", "Marmaduke", and "Date Night".

Possibly there is a fix?
There was a fix for their scrolling spam on the bottom of the guide.

Anybody know of a fix?

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/224695-has-anyone-noticed-new-722k-dvr.html

because for some of us, our lives don't revolve around tv shows. Would I miss GLEE if Fox were dropped next month? sure I would, but I wouldn't throw a complete pissy fit about it because my life does not hinge on whether I get to watch this show or that show.
So how many channels would have to be dropped for you to care? Every single RSN? LiL FOX SD and HD? How about all of the LiL ABC / ESPN / Disney channels?

This isn't about not having a life, this is about getting what we paid for. Most subs pay for a package that includes their local Fox RSN. If that is no longer included, and they enjoyed watching their local teams on that RSN, why shouldn't they be upset?

Extending your logic, nobody should ever get upset about anything as long as they're alive and healthy. I guess the Tea Baggers didn't get that memo. :D

So apparently not only did we lose our regional sports channels, but Our Fox local station may go off the air November 1st. Great, like I don't get enough complaints from my wife, now I'll have to hear it when Glee and Fringe don't record. :mad:.

Uh, by definition any local fox station should be available over the air.. ie for free.. and at least some of the DVRs have an antenna connection.

Threatening to take those away is the most laughable idea to me... yeah sure.. take it away.. watch me change my 2 timers to use the OTA channel instead of the Dish supplied copy. Oh ouch.

So apparently not only did we lose our regional sports channels, but Our Fox local station may go off the air November 1st. Great, like I don't get enough complaints from my wife, now I'll have to hear it when Glee and Fringe don't record. :mad:

If this isn't resolved by next week, I'm going to have to schedule the direct TV install.

Does anyone know if you can still watch recorded stuff on the internal or external hard drive if a 622 is not connected to the dish? I'd like to capture it before I send the box back.
Ahh another glee and fringe addict. If that happens, I've already set up my dvd recorder(one with a digital tuner no less) with an OTA antenna, Im not going to listen to the whining when theres no fringe, house, simpsons family guy or any of that. Not sure on the ehd question though.

So how many channels would have to be dropped for you to care? Every single RSN? LiL FOX SD and HD? How about all of the LiL ABC / ESPN / Disney channels?

This isn't about not having a life, this is about getting what we paid for. Most subs pay for a package that includes their local Fox RSN. If that is no longer included, and they enjoyed watching their local teams on that RSN, why shouldn't they be upset?

Extending your logic, nobody should ever get upset about anything as long as they're alive and healthy. I guess the Tea Baggers didn't get that memo. :D
Sure turn it political, that'll work. For some of us, our lives are fine without worrying about the latest terrorist threat in europe or the latest threat to remove all the fox networks. The only thing Ill miss is the liberal bashing on foxnews, fun to watch em squirm when cornered.

to those that are not upset
what if you were down to, lets throw a silly number out there, 25 channels and still paid the same amount?

sure dish may be sticking up for lower prices, but you dont see squat when channels leave.
now if they have to pay more you will see an increase, its a 1 way street with dish

it is already split up
the rsn were part of the sports pack, so the sports pack price would go up to reflect that cost.

OK, they are 2 bundles. :)

But is not one of the balking points that Fox wants them all in lower tiers? I believe I read that in more than one place.

This thing better be resolved before NCAA basketball season gets started. Living in ACC country, there are several games on FSN.

I can live with ESPN-U in SD (for now, that needs to hurry up as well) but NO FSN will drive me over the top.

mdram said:
what if you were down to, lets throw a silly number out there, 25 channels and still paid the same amount?

sure dish may be sticking up for lower prices, but you dont see squat when channels leave.
now if they have to pay more you will see an increase, its a 1 way street with dish

It's a one way street in the industry. What's your point?

I don't think people expect Dish to just bend over. But at the end of the day, DISH is the one supplying us the end product. So they should feel obligated to do what it takes to continue providing this service w/o disruption. So instead of waiting until the last minute to come to terms with Fox, they should start the negotiations earlier and iron this sh*t out. But nope.....they don't care if we lose channels. They care about their reputation in negotiations and have now decided to get into childish bashing via TV ads and websites. It is like a f'n election with all this BS.

I don't think they waited until the last minute to try to come to terms. It appears to me that both sides dug their heels in and wouldn't budge on their respective positions. From the little we actually know for sure, the only way Dish could have kept the channels one was to agree to what Fox wanted. Followed of course, by a bigger rate increase to pay for it, that increase paid by US, btw.

I'm one of those that would like to see all sports channels be in a tier by themselves and let the sports fans pay for their pleasure and let us that aren't all that enamored of the sports not have to subsidize them.

I just sent the following email to Dish using the email link (president@dishnetwork.com) at any one of the 4 websites listed in the press release;

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Mr. President,

As I am sure you are aware, Dish Network announced in a press release this morning that FOX was requiring "an unprecedented rate increase of more than 50 percent", and this is what led to this morning's removal of the Fox-owned networks. Also, on the
4 websites you've set up to blame Fox, you stated, "An increase this large would force DISH Network to pass these costs on to our customers, which we are unwilling to do during these tough economic times."

However, as I am also sure you are aware, earlier this year the cost of a single HD DVR receiver on my account was increased from $7.00 to $17.00, an increase of nearly
143%. Therefore, I find it difficult to swallow the "tough economic times" line, when you were more than willing to implement an equally unprecedented equipment fee increase of 143% earlier this year.

Now I understand that it is sometimes necessary to take a hard stance to keep programming costs down, but at the same time, I have a very difficult time believing the sincerity of your claim that you're unwilling to pass on cost increases in tough economic times when you had no problem imposing the single largest rate increase I've ever seen from any company just 9 months ago.

In addition, as an AT250 customer, I already pay for and receive the programming you're offering as a "replacement" while this dispute plays out with Fox, so I have received NOTHING additional for my inconvenience. So today, in addition to the exorbitant equipment fee increase I've been paying all this year, I am now paying the exact same amount for fewer channels.

Dish Network used to advertise that they were the low cost leader, but with all of the fees and the never-ending disputes and channel drops, I don't know if that's the case now. Every month, I pay $29.00 in fees alone to Dish Network.

So Mr. President, if you really care about these "tough economic times" and your customers as you allege on your Fox dispute websites, then do something about the exorbitant fees you are increasing and charging your customers. Maybe then, I'll find it easier to believe that your stance against Fox is as noble and in my favor as you claim.

I doubt anything will come from it, but sometimes it's just good to vent...

You took the words right out of my mouth.

God this is stupid, directing all your anger at dish, getting what you paid for is fine, in the process buying into all of foxs propaganda, which if you listen to the left wing loons is complete crap anyway.
Ill give ya a what if....
Fox isn't going to stop with dish, so down the line when cable and dtv contracts are up what then? Are these same dish detractors going to call out their own provider too on these same forums? Dish is the first but it wont be the last.
And, if fox wins, there's nothing to stop all the other networks from pulling the same stunt, massive carriage fees for one or two quality channels, with a pile of crappy ones thrown in to fill the void.

lol @ dishnetwork changing my setting on my DVR.

When I hit the "DVR" button, the next immediate menu has been changed. It's all new!
Apparently, they're seeking more money because they list 4 movies for PPV renting. :tux: The movies listed are "Get him Greek", "The Experiment", "Marmaduke", and "Date Night".

Possibly there is a fix?
There was a fix for their scrolling spam on the bottom of the guide.

Anybody know of a fix?

Yes you need to disable TV Enhancements on my 625 it's Menu-6-1-7.;)

God this is stupid, directing all your anger at dish, getting what you paid for is fine, in the process buying into all of foxs propaganda, which if you listen to the left wing loons is complete crap anyway.
Ill give ya a what if....
Fox isn't going to stop with dish, so down the line when cable and dtv contracts are up what then? Are these same dish detractors going to call out their own provider too on these same forums? Dish is the first but it wont be the last.
And, if fox wins, there's nothing to stop all the other networks from pulling the same stunt, massive carriage fees for one or two quality channels, with a pile of crappy ones thrown in to fill the void.

there is 1 thing that would stop it

ala carte

if people had to pay for each channel, then the carrier could ad a small fee for distrobution, you would see prices drop.
why? to attract customers, when prices got to high, people would drop them.
they would level off at a certain price point.
its called free market, it works, always has, always will
when you bundle and dictate whats carried prices go up

I suppose I'm in the minority here since I don't miss those pulled channels one bit. However, make these channels available on all tiers ala cart and let Fox charge what they want. Then let's sit back and see exactly how many subscribe to these channels.
E could then say "we've made these channels available and if the subscription rate is low, it's because Fox has overcharged for the product".
I doubt Fox would agree to ala cart because they know their fee structure would discourage people from signing up. They want E to force the channels on the subscribers as a package.

I suppose I'm in the minority here since I don't miss those pulled channels one bit. However, make these channels available on all tiers ala cart and let Fox charge what they want. Then let's sit back and see exactly how many subscribe to these channels.
E could then say "we've made these channels available and if the subscription rate is low, it's because Fox has overcharged for the product".
I doubt Fox would agree to ala cart because they know their fee structure would discourage people from signing up. They want E to force the channels on the subscribers as a package.

maybe dish wont do becuase they dont want people to know how small the fee increase actually is

I just sent the following email to Dish using the email link (president@dishnetwork.com) at any one of the 4 websites listed in the press release;

Mr. President,

As I am sure you are aware, Dish Network announced in a press release this morning that FOX was requiring "an unprecedented rate increase of more than 50 percent", and this is what led to this morning's removal of the Fox-owned networks. Also, on the
4 websites you've set up to blame Fox, you stated, "An increase this large would force DISH Network to pass these costs on to our customers, which we are unwilling to do during these tough economic times."

However, as I am also sure you are aware, earlier this year the cost of a single HD DVR receiver on my account was increased from $7.00 to $17.00, an increase of nearly
143%. Therefore, I find it difficult to swallow the "tough economic times" line, when you were more than willing to implement an equally unprecedented equipment fee increase of 143% earlier this year.

Now I understand that it is sometimes necessary to take a hard stance to keep programming costs down, but at the same time, I have a very difficult time believing the sincerity of your claim that you're unwilling to pass on cost increases in tough economic times when you had no problem imposing the single largest rate increase I've ever seen from any company just 9 months ago.

In addition, as an AT250 customer, I already pay for and receive the programming you're offering as a "replacement" while this dispute plays out with Fox, so I have received NOTHING additional for my inconvenience. So today, in addition to the exorbitant equipment fee increase I've been paying all this year, I am now paying the exact same amount for fewer channels.

Dish Network used to advertise that they were the low cost leader, but with all of the fees and the never-ending disputes and channel drops, I don't know if that's the case now. Every month, I pay $29.00 in fees alone to Dish Network.

So Mr. President, if you really care about these "tough economic times" and your customers as you allege on your Fox dispute websites, then do something about the exorbitant fees you are increasing and charging your customers. Maybe then, I'll find it easier to believe that your stance against Fox is as noble and in my favor as you claim.

I doubt anything will come from it, but sometimes it's just good to vent...

:up:up:up:up:up:up:up:up:up:up:up:up:up:up:up:up:up:up:up:up:up:up:up

GetwhatIpaidfor.com just ran a full page ad in the local paper condeming Dish and offering the Direct, Uverse, and cable options at the bottom. Exactly who is GetwhatIpaidfor.com and what is their stake in this fiasco?

Who they are? They're ultimately News Corp., the parent company, owned by Rupert Murdoch (FoxNews). Surprise, surprise; they also own 36% stock in Direct TV. So they're going to trash Dish so they can get you to sign up with Direct which in turn gives them more money. They're "free market guys" don't cha know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts