OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

If this isn't resolved by next week, I'm going to have to schedule the direct TV install.

And then when Fox decides to raise the fees at Direct will you go to cable, until they decide to do the same to them?

Oops...I forgot...Fox owns Direct....So cable and Uverse will take the next hits...

And then when Fox decides to raise the fees at Direct will you go to cable, until they decide to do the same to them?

Oops...I forgot...Fox owns Direct....So cable and Uverse will take the next hits...

I don't believe that Fox owns D* anymore. If I am not mistaken it is owned by liberty Media and has been for some time.

Sent my gripe into Dish and got a canned reply.

Dear Valued DISH Network Customer,

Thank you for your recent communication regarding your channel.
We regret that FOX Networks, the owner of some Regional Sports Networks, FX and National Geographic Channel, removed their channels from the DISH Network line-up. FOX has demanded a rate increase of more than 50%. An increase this large would force DISH Network to pass these costs on to our customers, which we are unwilling to do during these tough economic times.

We know these channels are important to you which is why during the FOX Sports lock-out, we're pleased to bring you 20 additional sports channels at no cost. We assure you that we are doing everything possible to restore these channels. In the meantime, you will not miss a single MLB playoff game or NFL Game. The Solutions Tab has a full list of alternative sports options available to you while we continue to negotiate with FOX.

DISH Network will continue to work tirelessly for a fair agreement in order to bring these channels back at the earliest possible time. Feel free to share your thoughts and concerns by e-mailing us at president@dishnetwork.com. We assure you that we will read every e-mail we receive.

Thank you for your patience during this process and for being a valued DISH Network customer.

Sincerely,
DISH Network

Your message:

As a loyal Dish Network subscriber, I have been with your company for 18 months now. I have six months left on my contract, and because of you putting your profits, when that contract is up at the end of March 2011, I will not be renewing my contract with Dish and will be going with DirecTV.

I pay $82.19 a month for your services.....and I'm not getting squat of what I paid for. And because of that, Dish is performing a breach of contract to its customers by not providing the services for which they have paid.

You say Fox is bullying you by asking you for an alleged 50% rate increase....the problem I find with that statement is nowhere in anything that Fox has never said how much they are asking, nor has Dish even said how much they are actually paying per subscriber for these Fox channels.

Your so called replacements are quite redundant.....HDNet movies isn't needed as I already get it as part of my current package. You are wasting my time in delivering garbage that I already get.

You've already pulled Disney HD Channels, you've been stubborn in regards to channels like Lifetime in the past, and now you are making Fox viewers angry. Taking a stand is costing you nothing but customers. Stop standing up, give the people what they want. And don't lie about not increasing prices, because the customers who pay your bills know better....you've increased our equipment fees, while not increasing programming.

Settle this now....because if I were a stockholder in Echostar or Dish Network Corp, I would be questioning if old Charlie has spent too much time in the CEO's chair right about now, and with the rate Dish is going, there won't be a Echostar or Dish Network left by the time all the programmers have pulled their programming, and all the customers have left for DirecTV.

Consider this before being stubborn.

Nobody knows for sure. The Disney holdout has been going on for a while, but they only took away Disney HD, ESPN News HD, and mabye something else. But they left us the SD feeds.

Come the beginning of November if this is still going on, we risk losing the local Fox affiliates too (Think NFL Football, local news, etc....). I have a hard time believing Dish will allow this to happen unless they want to lose a lot of subs.

Yea we can use OTA, but most subscribers don't want to deal with a two-prong setup. They want a package that is all-in-one.
Really, you want me to believe that with all the tech weenies here that at least some of them dont have a backup?
All in one is convenient but it should never be the only option, especially in major markets.
next someone will tell us that they will pull ota signals as well.
Last year I bought a dvd recorder with a digital tuner, one of my better investments considering the situation.

I haven't seen anything indicating that they are.

But a downside for Dish is that all of this makes one start to thinking about what something is worth. In my case, I'm thinking HBO & Showtime are a bit much. I only watch HBO for boxing and Boardwalk Empire and no boxing is on for a bit on HBO and I can wait for BE to show up on DVD or Netflix. Showtime is strictly boxing only as I don't care for their series.

And it seems to me in light of these potential rate battles that $24/month is a bit much to be paying for that little. Hmmm... :)

Sent my gripe into Dish and got a canned reply.

Dear Valued DISH Network Customer,

Thank you for your recent communication regarding your channel.
We regret that FOX Networks, the owner of some Regional Sports Networks, FX and National Geographic Channel, removed their channels from the DISH Network line-up. FOX has demanded a rate increase of more than 50%. An increase this large would force DISH Network to pass these costs on to our customers, which we are unwilling to do during these tough economic times.

We know these channels are important to you which is why during the FOX Sports lock-out, we're pleased to bring you 20 additional sports channels at no cost. We assure you that we are doing everything possible to restore these channels. In the meantime, you will not miss a single MLB playoff game or NFL Game. The Solutions Tab has a full list of alternative sports options available to you while we continue to negotiate with FOX.

DISH Network will continue to work tirelessly for a fair agreement in order to bring these channels back at the earliest possible time. Feel free to share your thoughts and concerns by e-mailing us at president@dishnetwork.com. We assure you that we will read every e-mail we receive.

Thank you for your patience during this process and for being a valued DISH Network customer.

Sincerely,
DISH Network

Your message:

As a loyal Dish Network subscriber, I have been with your company for 18 months now. I have six months left on my contract, and because of you putting your profits, when that contract is up at the end of March 2011, I will not be renewing my contract with Dish and will be going with DirecTV.

I pay $82.19 a month for your services.....and I'm not getting squat of what I paid for. And because of that, Dish is performing a breach of contract to its customers by not providing the services for which they have paid.

You say Fox is bullying you by asking you for an alleged 50% rate increase....the problem I find with that statement is nowhere in anything that Fox has never said how much they are asking, nor has Dish even said how much they are actually paying per subscriber for these Fox channels.

Your so called replacements are quite redundant.....HDNet movies isn't needed as I already get it as part of my current package. You are wasting my time in delivering garbage that I already get.

You've already pulled Disney HD Channels, you've been stubborn in regards to channels like Lifetime in the past, and now you are making Fox viewers angry. Taking a stand is costing you nothing but customers. Stop standing up, give the people what they want. And don't lie about not increasing prices, because the customers who pay your bills know better....you've increased our equipment fees, while not increasing programming.

Settle this now....because if I were a stockholder in Echostar or Dish Network Corp, I would be questioning if old Charlie has spent too much time in the CEO's chair right about now, and with the rate Dish is going, there won't be a Echostar or Dish Network left by the time all the programmers have pulled their programming, and all the customers have left for DirecTV.

Consider this before being stubborn.
Stubborn, yea, that's it.
Charlies stubborn so....what fox isn't?
Fox or Dish is under no obligation to reveal any details on talks, ongoing or not and at this point who could blame either of them.

I got that same letter and I bitched about the Locals and FOX leaving Nov 1 but they just replied with the canned crap about FX

asshats

I'm surprised Directv hasn't jumped all on this offering Dish subscribers the change to move to their system with incentive laden offers.

True, but News Corp., parent company of FSNs owns 34% stock in Direct.......

No they don't. They effectively swapped that to Liberty in exchange for Liberty's stake in News Corp.

Actually if Fox did own DirecTV they would no doubt hesitate to do this.

How come Charlie is so willing to broadcast the telephone number to the presedent of Fox, but will only broadcast his email addy, ... to his own subs?

I don't think that's a very nice way to treat YOUR customers, Charlie. If it's good to broadcast a direct line to Fox corprate, you should at least offer the same info to your corprate offices., me thinks...

I sure hope that the two parties can reach a quick settlement, but it's not very likely that they will. I expect Fox Sports Midwest and 18 other regional sports channels to be off Dish Network possibly until at least mid-late July of 2011. The two parties are not capable of doing any negotiating at any time soon. This is going to be a long, long dispute.