OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

if E* has no fox on nov 1st
how many think the cost will go down?

no fox, no fx, no rsn, ect ect = same cost?
chrarlie is laughing all the way to the bank

He gets surprisingly pragmatic when one of the big four are involved. I remember a few years back when CBS was in danger of going dark. There was an 11th hour settlement. He simply can't survive with out them. Just look at the full page ads Fios is running attacking Cablevision for not having FOX. They will soon be aimed at him. The only thing I really miss is my Giants games, but I can catch most of the big plays on the Red Zone Channel (not to mention the fact that they seem to be in prime time every other week on ESPN or NBC). House, Fringe, and Lie to Me are the only other shows I'll miss, but I can get them on my XBox short term (a little pricey, but it works as they are uploaded within a day normally).

You live in Chicago, which has like 23 channels OTA, (and great programming I might add). That is just NOT the case all over the U.S., and you have to understand that.

I live in a rural Michigan area, almost dead center of Michigan lower penisula. Since tv went digital, I can receive exactly 4 channels OTA. Three of them are ALL the same network, in 3 different directions! If the wind blows a tiny little bit, they digitize in and out, even with 100% signal. It SUCKS!

I have a new larger antenna with an amplifier, at the top of a tower, with a rotor. I used to be able to receive like 14 channels that were very watchable, but that went out the window with the digital transition. Believe me, there are LOTS of people in my boat, all over the U.S.

To install a good OTA antenna system from scratch, with at least a 30-40 foot tower, (too much wind on average around here, a rooftop antenna on a tripod would tear your roof off, and I used to be an Winegard installer and KNOW this) guy wire, rotor, coax wire, antenna, amplifier, you are looking at an outlay of at least $600+ retail IF you do it yourself, and don't get killed doing it. Want to pay somebody to do it? $1,200 minimum on average for our area.

It's a lot cheaper to go cable or satellite, and a lot less hassle.

Maybe where you are thats true, but if you buy into the propaganda, you need a special antenna in most cases, and in most cases thats just isnt true. I live 18 miles from the canadian border in ny, due south of montreal. I have the same antenna I had before the switch, a 40 dollar ?(at the time) radio shack special on a rotor. I get 13 locals, including subs with the added bonus of the montreal locals, granted some of them are french. I spent no where near 600 dollars, perhaps 120 with the rotor and pipe.

I just like to say that when it comes to Nov. 1. I'll still be able to receive my local O&O Fox station and my local O&O MyTv on Dish. Since they both are not owned by Fox. Besides that I do have an OTA antenna which I could receive both my local O&O Fox and MyTv. If they were to be pulled from Dish. :)

Plus I compared D* and AT&T U-Verse packages and prices. There programming teir package for what I would want is through the roof! It would be like almost $200.00 a month! Thats including the programming and the equipment for four HD-DVR receivers! Cause both D* and AT&T do not have the dual output receivers as E* does. So to all the fence swingers that complain. The grass is NOT always greener on the other side. Granted, you would receive your programming; if you switched. But you will get stuck with a manditory 2-year contract with D*. Which after the first 6 to 12 months trial period is over. Thats when they will get you. Not only will your monthly bill sky rocket. D* nor AT&T does not let you own your equipment. It is a lease ONLY unless you want to pay a lot up front for it. Besides the fact that most of you people complain about bad installs. Which AT&T, D*, and E* are known to screw up install orders. Such as for example they do not bring out the correct equipment, no call no show, and/or some other type of screw up. Plus they will charge you up front for any changes and/or additional receivers, or to purchase receivers. Then to make it worse. The install would have to be rescheduled to a later date that can be very irritating at the least.. :rant:Besides the fact that I used to be a tech for D*. I was instructed that I must charge the customer $75.00 a piece for any additional inside the wall and/or specialty, (for the customer,) line ran. Not only that, if the equipment order was not correct. I was instructed to tell the customer that if they wanted it changed. That they must call D* for it to be done. Then I was instructed to leave and come back at a later install date. Which would tick off the customer even more. Cause I was not allowed to carry any spare receivers on my truck. Only what my install orders called for each day. So think twice about switching.

As for myself. I'm going to be staying put with Dish. I know I may not have my Fox RSN, FX, or NatGeo but I do not have no 2-year contracts nor equipment lease fees cause I own my equipment. :)

Last edited:
I just like to say that when it comes to Nov. 1. I'll still be able to receive my local O&O Fox station and my local O&O MyTv on Dish. Since they both are not owned by Fox. Besides that I do have an OTA antenna which I could receive both my local O&O Fox and MyTv. If they were to be pulled from Dish. :)

Plus I compared D* and AT&T U-Verse packages and prices. There programming teir package for what I would want is through the roof! It would be like almost $200.00 a month! Thats including the programming and the equipment for four HD-DVR receivers! Cause both D* and AT&T do not have the dual output receivers as E* does. So to all the fence swingers that complain. The grass is NOT always greener on the other side. Granted, you would receive your programming; if you switched. But you will get stuck with a manditory 2-year contract with D*. Which after the first 6 to 12 months trial period is over. Thats when they will get you. Not only will your monthly bill sky rocket. D* nor AT&T does not let you own your equipment. It is a lease ONLY unless you want to pay a lot up front for it. Besides the fact that most of you people complain about bad installs. Which AT&T, D*, and E* are known to screw up install orders. Such as for example they do not bring out the correct equipment, no call no show, and/or some other type of screw up. Plus they will charge you up front for any changes and/or additional receivers, or to purchase receivers. Then to make it worse. The install would have to be rescheduled to a later date that can be very irritating at the least.. :rant:Besides the fact that I used to be a tech for D*. I was instructed that I must charge the customer $75.00 a piece for any additional inside the wall and/or specialty, (for the customer,) line ran. Not only that, if the equipment order was not correct. I was instructed to tell the customer that if they wanted it changed. That they must call D* for it to be done. Then I was instructed to leave and come back at a later install date. Which would tick off the customer even more. Cause I was not allowed to carry any spare receivers on my truck. Only what my install orders called for each day. So think twice about switching.

As for myself. I'm going to be staying put with Dish. I know I may not have my Fox RSN, FX, or NatGeo but I do not have no 2-year contracts nor equipment lease fees cause I own my equipment. :)

with D* you would only need 2hd-dvr and 2 hd reciever, with mrv, then you have 4 hd feeds not 2hd and 2 sd
the equipments fees would be similar to what you have now since second duo is $17, and 3 extra are $15, oooh saving $2 a month on equipment
what D* package is $200 a month? the premier is 119, add 15 for recievers, 5 for dvr and 3 for mrv, its only @ 150 and thats all movie channels (i think)

He gets surprisingly pragmatic when one of the big four are involved. I remember a few years back when CBS was in danger of going dark. There was an 11th hour settlement. He simply can't survive with out them. Just look at the full page ads Fios is running attacking Cablevision for not having FOX. They will soon be aimed at him. The only thing I really miss is my Giants games, but I can catch most of the big plays on the Red Zone Channel (not to mention the fact that they seem to be in prime time every other week on ESPN or NBC). House, Fringe, and Lie to Me are the only other shows I'll miss, but I can get them on my XBox short term (a little pricey, but it works as they are uploaded within a day normally).

All of those are available on Hulu so you can get them whichever way getting Hulu works best for you.

All of those are available on Hulu so you can get them whichever way getting Hulu works best for you.

not true
many people cannot get hulu, no highspeed internet
remember satellite was created to serve those people that couldnt get cable, its expanded since then
when thinking of sat tv i immediatly think of rural so anything that requires other options are out, usually ota is out too due to extreme distances.
this is something people tend to forget

I'm trying to get GoogleTv up and running by November 1st which I hope will get me a backup system (If Hulu is blocked, and switching the setting to generic doesn't fix it, I can always go the BitTorrent route, although I would prefer to avoid it. The Amazon VOD could work......

with D* you would only need 2hd-dvr and 2 hd reciever, with mrv, then you have 4 hd feeds not 2hd and 2 sd
the equipments fees would be similar to what you have now since second duo is $17, and 3 extra are $15, oooh saving $2 a month on equipment
what D* package is $200 a month? the premier is 119, add 15 for recievers, 5 for dvr and 3 for mrv, its only @ 150 and thats all movie channels (i think)

Same thing with Uverse. The tv package is $112 regular monthly price per their website for their U450.

I dunno, maybe he did the research better than you?

You forget, I live in a house hold that each person wants a HD-DVR in their room. Besides spending money for this mrv (what you call it.) So that all adds up pretty quickly. So I'll keep what I have and stay with E*.

so you have 4 hd-dvr now? you sid your using the second outputs on the E* so i assumed you have 2
the equivilent of this on D* is 1 hd-dve and 1 hd reciver and mrv
mrv is $3 a month if i recall
if you have 4 hd-dvr your bill should go down
heck you can do 4 on d* if you want and still do the mrv, it really is worth it

I dunno, maybe he did the research better than you?

i did alot of research too before i got mine installed, never saw a price like that, im curious

just double checked

best package 4 hddvr max cost 145 a month, includes hpp, but no sports

so you have 4 hd-dvr now? you sid your using the second outputs on the E* so i assumed you have 2
the equivilent of this on D* is 1 hd-dve and 1 hd reciver and mrv
mrv is $3 a month if i recall
if you have 4 hd-dvr your bill should go down
heck you can do 4 on d* if you want and still do the mrv, it really is worth it

You forget, Tack in the extra charges for inside the wall cable drops, and etc. Besides the house I'm living in now. I ran all the wiring myself; when it was being built. Which all the coax cables goes into a On-Q box. Where the multi-switch and the cables from the satellite come in and the cables to the receivers and extra tv's exit. So if you want to go with D*. Be my guest but I'll stay with E*

i did alot of research too before i got mine installed, never saw a price like that, im curious

just double checked

best package 4 hddvr max cost 145 a month, includes hpp, but no sports

Correct I did. Cause you would need to tack on the charges for the NFL-ST, MLB, Hockey, and Basketball. There you go..

You forget, Tack in the extra charges for inside the wall cable drops, and etc. Besides the house I'm living in now. I ran all the wiring myself; when it was being built. Which all the coax cables goes into a On-Q box. Where the multi-switch and the cables from the satellite come in and the cables to the receivers and extra tv's exit. So if you want to go with D*. Be my guest but I'll stay with E*

just so you know, if the cableing is there and good, then they can re-use it
the only new cable i had put in was from the dish to the switch, all switch to box cable was re-used.

Correct I did. Cause you would need to tack on the charges for the NFL-ST, MLB, Hockey, and Basketball. There you go..

aahhh, so you adding stuff you cant get with dish (nfl st)
did you compare to what you have now to see the price diff?

aahhh, so you adding stuff you cant get with dish (nfl st)
did you compare to what you have now to see the price diff?

Yes I did a lot of compairing besides I used to be a tech with D*. Dish may not have the nfl-st but the prices with D* and the extra for the nfl-st, and all. That will raise your rates quickly. Cause the nfl-st is not cheap by any means. So with the nfl redzone. I can watch the other games in a way like the nfl-st. Its only $7 a month extra with the sports package with E* compaired to D* and the nfl-st.

just so you know, if the cableing is there and good, then they can re-use it
the only new cable i had put in was from the dish to the switch, all switch to box cable was re-used.

What about customers that want to have both? You can not use the same coax cables for both D* and E*

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)