OFFICIAL External Storage Information

Like a computer, if too many applications are running at the same time every one of the them bog down. Have two browsers going at the same time and you'll see what I mean. I wonder if the same is true with the 622? Has anyone started an archive to the external hard drive and then just power down? It seems to me almost every post indicates folks are not doing this but rather starting the downloading and then switching to live tv to view shows while the transfer is taking place. I will test this tomorrow but I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed a significant increase in speed of transfer when the unit is placed in standby mode. Indeed, is it possible to transfer while in standby mode at all?

Has anyone started an archive to the external hard drive and then just power down? ... but I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed a significant increase in speed of transfer when the unit is placed in standby mode. Indeed, is it possible to transfer while in standby mode at all?
Yes, it is possible to xfer in standby mode. I do not see a speed increase, and my xfer rate is rather low.

JohnnyB40: Dish doesn't want to list compatible drives and then be expected to troubleshoot any issues a customer might have when using one of said drives. It's like a computer maker listing compatible printers... they don't do it... So long as Dish did things to some "standard", any "standard" drive should work.

I wonder how much help Dish would give if someone called tech support for help with a drive ??

JohnnyB40: Dish doesn't want to list compatible drives and then be expected to troubleshoot any issues a customer might have when using one of said drives. It's like a computer maker listing compatible printers... they don't do it... So long as Dish did things to some "standard", any "standard" drive should work.

I wonder how much help Dish would give if someone called tech support for help with a drive ??

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a thread devoted to drive compatibility alone. Threads here get so big so fast it can be hard to find information specific to a particular model-drive/622 setup.

The first post in the below link might be a good template for such a thread,

Series3 eSATA Drive Expansion: FAQ + Discussion - TiVo Community & Store

Just a thought...

No I see it more like Comcast which lists all compatible modems listing compatible drives in no way obliges them to support said drives a simple reefer to hardware manufacture for support would do

I don't see it like a printer at all since you can call a Printer Company and get support Try calling a harddrive company with DRV support ? That's what took me 40 minutes to get the utility program link because the Idiot kept telling me they do not support DRV's only Computers I finally had to tell him forget I ever said DVR! I just need the link for the tool programs! since my DRV reformatted and erased my installation tools from drive.

IF they did any type of beta testing they should have some results to help We shouldn't have to pay 40.00 to beta test .....The install of the drive wasn't the issue that went without a hitch, but it was things that came up when I started using it like not being able to shut off the light or stop the sleep mode these things had to be discovered during Beta testing and would have been a nice FYI or a FAQ notice before you attempt to install that's all I'm saying Beta testing should be more then a
simple test on if it works or not

IF I were the Beta tester for use of this drive I would have included that installed fine no problems, with issues of loss of installation and tool programs at format by dish,advise if drive is new to install to a PC first to save these important tools, I would report the bright light for use in Home theater's as an annoyance and the drives
default sleep time to low adjust before installing to receiver. If I were to read something like this I would have saved about two hours !

if they did this I believe it would only reduce Customer relates issue calls, Come on If Customers are calling Dish to find their Favorite lists do you really believe these people will be able to install an external HD with no direction at all ?????????

Well checked my Dish account today, and I got charged twice for the HDD enabling fee! I called Dish and they asked me how many HDD's I have connected, and I said I only have one drive. I thought it doesn't matter how many drives you use, you only pay a one time enabling fee. Turns out I have to pay double on this months bill, and will be $39.99 less on next months. This SUX!!:mad::mad::mad:

So yesterday I learned about Dish turning on the external storage feature only here at
Satellite guys went to Dishes site maybe expecting something like a web page tutorial
Listing compatible drives? Some kind of guide but found nothing not even a mention....

Considering this a company with the latest
Software included an annoying notice to push guide for next favorite list that removes the clock? (I find that really annoying) when I asked they claim they get to many support calls that customers cannot find the lists they make? So if they consider there customers so stupid why wouldn’t they have some type of tutorial up for at least two of the most popular drives????

I did the next best thing looked in this group and seen people reporting no problems
with the Seagate HD’s so I bought a Seagate Freeagent Pro 500GB model

To hope someone can learn from my mistakes

First install external HD to a PC so you can edit HD controls!

Why are you editing the HD controls? I have a similar drive. I just plugged it in and transferred. I never looked back.

Any guesses on if they will eventually include the 522 to the list of hardware this works with, since it has the USB port as well?

Greetings,

Will Dish support the 625 for this feature, or only the 622/722?

The 522/625 will never have this feature. Their USB ports are 1.1, not 2. Transfers would be too slow on a 1.1 port, and Dish states that only USB 2 is supported.

Even if they supported 1.1 (so I could use my 721) there would be problems. Code would have to be developed for the SD receivers to ignore and not harm HD material on the external drives. I'm sure other hardware issues would arise. But in short, why bother? These SD non MPEG-4 receivers may only have another couple of years of life left in them, before being phased out. When that happens is unknown, at least to us, but it is inevitable as Dish converts to MPEG-4 (which requires new hardware, a firmware update won't do it).

WD MyBook 250GB Format ?

I have a WD 750GB premium "my book" hard drive and the 622 asked me if I wanted to format it, then it let me "archive" existing programs over there. So I archived one, played it a bit, and went back to regular DVR. It works!
(It did take longer for a CSR to actually set me up with the 39.99 fee!)
pat

model 7500P032

Sorry if this has been answered already - I read through dozens of posts and didn't see it...

I called Dish - asked about reformatting - I was told basically the drive should be dedicated. The DVR will need to install their own software so it will be able to properly function with each other.

I asked if I were to wipe my 32GB's worth of mp3's, photos, etc - save to another source - then have the DVR reformat my drive, I wont be able to re-use the external drive with my laptop/XP, then go back to the DVR. She said that is correct - it needs to be dedicated, if you reload anything else but the DVR software it will prompt to reformat.

Does anyone know this to be true or not? I guess I need to buy a stand alone drive for my DVR...

This forum has been very helpful - thanks in advance for your replies!

Sorry if this has been answered already - I read through dozens of posts and didn't see it...

I called Dish - asked about reformatting - I was told basically the drive should be dedicated. The DVR will need to install their own software so it will be able to properly function with each other.

I asked if I were to wipe my 32GB's worth of mp3's, photos, etc - save to another source - then have the DVR reformat my drive, I wont be able to re-use the external drive with my laptop/XP, then go back to the DVR. She said that is correct - it needs to be dedicated, if you reload anything else but the DVR software it will prompt to reformat.

Does anyone know this to be true or not? I guess I need to buy a stand alone drive for my DVR...

This forum has been very helpful - thanks in advance for your replies!

Yes, that is correct, the drive becomes dedicated to the Dish DVR, it cannot be used for anything else.

Why are you editing the HD controls? I have a similar drive. I just plugged it in and transferred. I never looked back.

One I have a front projection TV having a Huge amber light from drive washing out screen is not good my Components are under my screen

secondly when I was moving content over to HD it errored out others seem to think the HD went to sleep since I selected sleep "never"
I haven't had any problems

Scott and all:
We have a problem two new hard drives one a Hitachi and now one that is a Seagate accepted the transfer of programming, but after 30 secs. they freeze and the prompt appears that the usb is not connected....*E thought it was a bad drive and so I raced to replace it and the next new drive did the same thing.....*E folks are trying to solve what appears now to be a major software glitch.....I'm trying to now get my first new drive back that has the bulk of my programming realizing it is now a sofware problem.....I'm pretty ticked off!

I have a Beyond Micro box from ecost (the one that's USB only-no sata). It's been flakey on the 622. Sometimes the playback stops and it reports "device removed". Then 622 must be rebooted to bet external hdd functionality back.

I popped open the BM box, pulled out the WD hdd, and plugged it into the 622 with an IDE/USB cable & power brick. So far this has worked fine for me (the transferred content was even still there).

The Beyond Micro box worked fine on the PC. My guess is that the 622 USB port is a bit noisy (probably insufficient decoupling). And, the Port on the Beyond Mico is a bit noisy. Combined it's no workee.

I do have the 622 and hdd plugged into different ups's. This is not always a great idea (noise between different grounds), bit it's not bothering the stand-alone cable - I might give the Beyond Micro another chance before trying a different box.

Yes, that is correct, the drive becomes dedicated to the Dish DVR, it cannot be used for anything else.
...At the same time.

Let's make sure we don't confuse people. As far as I know the drive can go back to a pc. But, it'll need to be reformatted (you'll lose the transferred programs).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)