Official - I have a Hopper 3 Thread!

Can somebody check something for me I am recording 10 programs at once[How great is that lol] everything looks likes recording in dvr ect except theres no red light showing on front.Can somebody do a quick record and tell me if there red light works?

There is no red light... just a power light. :)

Smooth install today. First for the area and installer. Minor UI and no sound issue to start with but all good now.

My tech showed up at 9:00 this morning. Put up my new dish. Had a rough patch with the Hopper. First one was defective. Second one worked fine. Installed my 2 4K Joeys. Took about 3 hours in all. The tech, Brandon, was extremely professional and courteous.

As for the Hopper and Joeys, I'm still getting everything back to where I was before. One thing that I wished they changed is that when I create a channel list, it gets shared to my other 2 systems. Also not a fan of the search function either.

Reactions: cummingsje
OK... Here is the summary of my install:
Task: Replace a HWS and Joey1 with a Hopper 3 and a Joey4K.

I planned to go through DIRT, but they were (understandably) jammed and I was in the 200's. I called Dish yesterday (Saturday) morning to check on the "deal" and ended up ordering.

I got a CSR who was "on it." He initially started to go over the features script for the H3 with me. As soon as I indicated that I was already familiar, he dropped the script and helped me set up the install. Total time (estimated) on the call 10-15 minutes. Excellent Service!

Tech Matt was supposed to arrive between 0800 and 1200 today (Sunday). I got several robocalls from Dish reminding me of the install and updating the arrival time. Tech himself called to let me know what time he would arrive and then again when he was on the way. Excellent Service!

Tech Matt arrived exactly on time: 1110. Took a couple of minutes for a meet-and-greet and then sized up the project (Dish, Node, Receiver Locations) and got to work.

Slight disappointment: Evidently the 4K Joey hasn't arrived in our area (or at least with the install company). I didn't really need the 4k, but had hoped to get it all out of the way at the same time. We agreed that they would substitute the Joey 2. Hopefully we can sort out a 4K in the future. I do like the smaller footprint, etc.

Within 30 minutes of arrival, hardware was installed and we were starting the equipment setup.

During the setup, we had a great visit. He was very polite, well spoken, and well informed. While he had been trained on the equipment, this was his first install of the H3 he had done. Nor had he had a chance to see the new interface. I was a bit ahead of him on the new equipment, since I had the Carbon on my H2 and saw the initial version at a year ago at the Dish booth at CES. We made a fun project of it for both of us, and I think that we both learned from each other.

Dish and receivers paired quickly and software downloads, activation, etc. was smooth. He immediately noticed how much faster things seemed to go/run than with previous versions. Overall, there were a lot of steps to complete and a there was bit of "down time" for the installer during the download process.

He worked me through all of the major settings, and wanted to hit all of the major menus himself, as we walked the receiver together. We were learning as a team.

Total time for install: 2 hours. Mostly for time needed to download software and activate receivers.

Everything is up and running. Systems seem to work well (other than the things that we know are delayed).

I didn't have any recordings that I needed to transfer, so that was a non-issue. After the installer left, I did push my settings back to the receiver from the remote. That went well and I was able to save my 10, or so, timers.

I was a bit fearful of the new remote. I use my old 40.0 remotes from muscle memory. So far, the new remote seems fairly intuitive. I'm already doing some of the basic commands without looking at the device. Time will tell, but I'm thinking that I will probably go with the new ones, rather than the old style.

I would like to play with the new voice remote as well. While plans change, I thought that Dish initially indicated we would get both of the new remotes with the new Hopper. It would be nice to have gotten an "IOU" for the voice unit.

Overall, other than the slight glitch with the 4K Joey, it was as close to a perfect install as you can get! I'll pitch in with more details on the new box as the H3 gets a workout.

Vivek: If you happen to be monitoring this thread..... Many "attapersons" go to your folks for the new hardware and especially the new interface. The CSR and Installer were both Excellent! If you want to PM me, I will pass along information so that you can carry these thanks down to the staff who are working so hard to provide a great system and experience for the customer.

OK, I found my first glitch and workaround.

So my sister recorded 6 episodes of a show last night and that's what the folder shows (6). She watches a single episode and then deletes the single episode that she just watched, but the entire folder goes away!!! If you go to the trash and restore it shows them all back. While looking into this we also found that even when all of them were restored back, they all played the same episode and had the same info, but the names in the list were different. She said it was doing this before she even deleted the one.

Well, just on a hunch I transferred them all to the external drive (pretty fast, but still not sure about that front USB port) and that fixed the issue. Does transferring them re-index them and possibly sort out the issue?

removed...
1-HWS
1-H2K
3-Joey 1.0
duo node
old lnb

Installed...
New lnb,
New solo hub
1-Hopper 3
1-J4K
3-Joey 2.0.

3 hours,
mostly for downloading / verifying software and programming remotes.

Equipment was unplug old, plug in new.

This installers 1st H3 setup.

I ordered my Hopper 3 and 2 Joey 2's on Saturday, I believe it was around 7:30am. It was a new install because I was coming from DirecTv.
The install was scheduled for Sunday between 8am - 1pm. I got several texts and emails from DISH prior to the appointment to remind me of the install.
The tech, a gentleman named Isaiah, arrived about 10am after calling and saying he was on his way. He was a nice guy, and we talked some about this being his first Hopper 3 install.
He was here from 10am - 2:30pm, probably longer than we both thought he would be. He put the dish up with no problems, did some re-cabling, and then came in to set things up.
One issue that we had was that he could not get the H3 to see my router. It was plugged in but there were no lights blinking on the back of the H3 and there was an error message about not seeing the router and no connectivity.
He messed around with that for some time and then I agreed to try via wireless. It connected, but then there was no internet. He tried multiple ways to get it to connect and finally I suggested that he just restart the H3, which he did. It connected via wireless and there were no more issues. He sold me a pair of bluetooth headphones, I'm thinking they do this on some type of commission, but I tried them and liked them, so what the hell....:glasses.

All in all, I am very happy and looking forward to playing with this new beast.

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
You might want to add the four color buttons (red, green, yellow, blue) to the Harmony screen if you haven't already. They are quite handy buttons while using the Hoppers!
Already had them added, quite handy indeed.
install went great only problem was when the tech was trying to send data to dish and test would just stop at 180 and not ever finish
Mine stuck at 180 also. He canceled, got to 180 again. Called his buddy. On the third try, it went right past 180 and finished.

My only problem right now is that the Harmony activity doesn't turn off the Hopper 3. Power off in devices does, but the all off button doesn't. Turns it on fine, and everything else controls OK.

On startup, does it always go to the home screen instead of last viewed channel? Is there a way to change that?

Ordering through DIRT was quick and painless. I was #70 and was contacted at noon Saturday and had an appointment scheduled for Sunday by 4 PM. Most of the delay was on my end.

Appointment was scheduled for between noon and 5 PM. Installer and his supervisor showed up at a little after noon and were here until about 2:30.

The install went well. They had to replace my 1000+ dish and wanted to run new cable so physical installation took a while. They located the hub just inside my crawl space to make it easy to add Joeys in the future. The only time consuming part was downloading software and the other steps to setup and authorization.

After initial setup, I paired my 40.0 remote from H2 and set out to download timers, however it took a long time to find where it is in the menu. It's in an unusual place: Menu/Settings/Diagnostics/Tools. The system wizard button on the 40 remote doesn't work.

BTW, my installer had no idea you could backup and restore tuners and other settings using the remote! Needs to be in their training.

I like H3 but still getting used to the menu structure.

I don't like the home screen coming up when I turn on H3. It should just go to the program automatically. Now I have to hit Cancel.

I am using a universal remote to control H3 (and many Dish receivers before it). Everything I've tried so far works as expected with the exception of power on/off. and PIP.

On H2, Power OFF via IR was a power toggle. On H3, Power OFF is Power ON. On H2, I used Power ON followed by Power OFF to turn it off. On H3, I need to use Power ON followed by Power ON/OFF. I wish they would fix this.

I had a PIP button programmed to toggle PIP on and off and also to bring up the PIP menu if head. PIP toggle no longer works.

Last edited:
I'm the Opposite of some. Love the new remote.
Not happy it did not come with the Joey 4K that I paid $50 extra for, now I have to spend an other $20 so the remotes can all be the same in the house.
Why have to learn Two remotes for the same system?
The Hopper 3 and Joey 2.0 all came with the new Remote 52 designed for the new GUI menus.
I am finding the old 40 remote is very different is harder to use on the new Carbon GUI menus.
I wish Dish would offer a Discount for those with Joey 4Ks, maybe let is get the new remote for Free or say $10?

My install went great. I had a Dish employee and not a contractor. From what he told me was, only the contractors leave the old equipment to send back because they don't want to be liable if they lose it. Around 3:30 he showed up and was done around 5pm. First hopper 3 he's done .

My first impression is wow... the speed. It truly is 7x faster than the 2nd generation Hopper. The guide is nice and I like the new layout. The remote will take getting used to but it'll be fine after using it for a few days.

Reactions: stardust3
I just noticed there is no slot for a smart card behind the door on H3. I thought that odd so I looked closer. Found it on the left side. It's empty so there must be an internal "card".

I called in to order Saturday morning and was upgraded at no cost, just the $10 tech fee for an H3 and a J2.0. Install was scheduled for this morning, it took about 2 hours, the tech replaced the LNB and switch quickly, most of the time was spent waiting for the software updates, which happens twice. I restored my settings from my 40.0 remote, at first the timers did not show up, but maybe 20 minutes later they appeared. I'm transferring back my recordings from my EHD now. The tech did take the old great away with him. The UI has a minor learning curve, but overall I like it a lot. The system is very fast and responsive, which I enjoy, and I like the new 52.0 remote too, it's smaller and slim. Overall things are going great, very happy at the moment.

Reactions: stardust3
OTA usb,
Scanned, finished scan, checked select all, hopper3 frozen the rebooted without saving OTAs...
scanned OTAs multiple times before able to save...
But did get done after several tries.

Got mine installed this morning. Great smooth install. The New UI will definitely take a while to get used to but it's nice. I also liked that I could pair my tablet and phone with the receiver without doing a sign on for dish anywhere app. They connect and work great. (was hoping maybe I could sling to more than one with 16 tuners and all but no) However. I can't connect to my receiver via my computers on a browser. It connects but the receiver keeps saying it's offline.
Not sure what's causing this.
Also agree with kwindrem about the home screen at startup. Prefer it to just start on the last channel I was on.

Last edited:
My install was a nightmare my techs first install of the hopper3.31/2 hours to install 1 hopper3 I was going out of my mind.I want to thank all you people for the education on the hopper3.I had to help my tech with info the man was lost,he was driving a dish van so he must have got some training somewhere right?.....UNBELEAVABLE.......
Reminds me of my first H2K install when it just came on the market. It took almost 10 hours over a 2 day period. If it wasn't for this site I probably would've had to house the tech for the week.

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
My upgrade from VIP622 and 211s was processed by Sam from DIRT on Saturday afternoon. Sam did a great job, getting the install of a Hopper3 and two Joeys scheduled for Sunday afternoon.
The tech, Cortez, arrived on time and was very efficient and courteous. I was his first Hopper3 install and he didn't have any problems with the setup, about 2 1/2 hours. I am loving this Hopper3 system.
Thanks to all the DISH folks who made the best whole home Hopper3 possible.
Thanks Scott for a great information resource.
I am impressed with the Hopper3 and I am off to explore/play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts