Official - I have a Hopper 3 Thread!

Installed yesterday, took about two hours, install relatively smooth, was tech's 2nd Hooper 3.
Very quick and responsive, enjoy the new guide.
One quick question: In the guide my two wireless Joeys (cannot have 4K's because of wiring at house) show "subscribed HD channels", I cannot find this option in the Hopper itself. I've read about the hiding the SD mirrored channels, any way to just show "subscribed HD channels" on the Hopper or do I need to make a Favorites list to hide all the clutter?

One quick question: In the guide my two wireless Joeys (cannot have 4K's because of wiring at house) show "subscribed HD channels", I cannot find this option in the Hopper itself. I've read about the hiding the SD mirrored channels, any way to just show "subscribed HD channels" on the Hopper or do I need to make a Favorites list to hide all the clutter?

For whatever reason, Dish decided to remove that option from the H3, so a Favorites list is probably your best bet.

For whatever reason, Dish decided to remove that option from the H3, so a Favorites list is probably your best bet.
There is quite a few questionable decisions they made with removing or changing things up on the H3 compared to before, like defaulting to the Home Screen when turning the box on.
Most things seem to have changed to making operating the box less efficient. Same with the new remote. I find this stupid to add an extra step just to stop playback.

There is quite a few questionable decisions they made with removing or changing things up on the H3 compared to before, like defaulting to the Home Screen when turning the box on.
Most things seem to have changed to making operating the box less efficient. Same with the new remote. I find this stupid to add an extra step just to stop playback.

I found the the default home screen to be odd too. Maybe they want people to see what the popular shows are at the moment and what movies are available right away.

Reactions: DWS44 and ralfyguy
I found the the default home screen to be odd too. Maybe they want people to see what the popular shows are at the moment and what movies are available right away.
Well I programmed my Harmony remote to send an additional LiveTV/Cancel command when turning on and by the time the activity finished I get greeted with the last watched channel.

Well I programmed my Harmony remote to send an additional LiveTV/Cancel command when turning on and by the time the activity finished I get greeted with the last watched channel.

Nice...I had thought about trying that with my Harmony, but hadn't gotten around to programming it.

I have a manual timer that auto tunes to one of the music channels. By the time I turn on the tv and av receiver it is already past the Home Screen and playing music.

Reactions: JSheridan
Had Hopper 3 and two Joey 2's installed on Saturday, Jan 31 as new install. It took the tech about 2-1/2 hours. This was his first H3 install. No problems with install or setup. At first, the tech didn't want to use the under-eave bracket that Directv put on my house. But he called and they said it was ok. He also used the current wiring which save alot of time.

I didn't like the new remote at first, but I'm getting used to it. I had Dish before with two Hoppers and a Joey.

Any way to have new recordings default to "new episodes only"? I set up X Files and it defaulted to "all episodes" and I had 10 episodes recorded over night. Didn't see a way to modify so i had to delete the timer and redo it this time hitting the record button super quick to get the options and set it to "new only".

You and also edit an existing time using the timers tab on the DVR screen. If you select the timer in question you can edit it there.

Reactions: Jared Brown
==FIRST TUNER CONFLICT on Hopper 3 ===
How can you get a Tuner conflict on a Hopper 3 with 16 Tuners (19 if you count my prime time)?
-
I am sure most will NEVER run into this, but with the Dozens of Over the Air Digital sub channels it can happen.
I have the USB OTA tuner, one person wanted to watch one Sub channel and other wanted an other =CONFLICT
Dish only has the Big 4 Locals plus PBS here, no sub channels uplinked for METV, Grit, My, This, Anttena, Laff, Escape, ect
-
With my Two Hopper 2 system and Two USB OTA tuners we did not have this issue.
Again, I am probably the only one in the country that would get a tuner conflict on this, but I thought I would mention it (kind of a funny story almost with 16 tuners, cable does not have this issue as they have all sub channels).
Maybe down they road they will allow Two OTA USB tuners, you never know (who would of guessed 16 Sat tuners last year).
Never hurts to ask or post.
-
P.S. I tried many OTA tuners over the Years, the Dish USB tuner is the best by far, I can pull stations from the nearby DMA at 70 miles away- WOW

Reactions: Foxbat and flody1
I am probably the only one in the country that would get a tuner conflict on this, but I thought I would mention it (kind of a funny story almost with 16 tuners, cable does not have this issue as they have all sub channels).

You aren't alone! Two of the small handful of programs I record on OTA subchannels are now on at the same time every night. :confused:

Reactions: flody1
==FIRST TUNER CONFLICT on Hopper 3 ===
How can you get a Tuner conflict on a Hopper 3 with 16 Tuners (19 if you count my prime time)?
-
I am sure most will NEVER run into this, but with the Dozens of Over the Air Digital sub channels it can happen.
I have the USB OTA tuner, one person wanted to watch one Sub channel and other wanted an other =CONFLICT
Dish only has the Big 4 Locals plus PBS here, no sub channels uplinked for METV, Grit, My, This, Anttena, Laff, Escape, ect
-
With my Two Hopper 2 system and Two USB OTA tuners we did not have this issue.
Again, I am probably the only one in the country that would get a tuner conflict on this, but I thought I would mention it (kind of a funny story almost with 16 tuners, cable does not have this issue as they have all sub channels).
Maybe down they road they will allow Two OTA USB tuners, you never know (who would of guessed 16 Sat tuners last year).
Never hurts to ask or post.
-
P.S. I tried many OTA tuners over the Years, the Dish USB tuner is the best by far, I can pull stations from the nearby DMA at 70 miles away- WOW
Where u able to get the OTA channels in a Favorites List. ?

I also had a question about the Hopper3. When I left for work yesterday my wife was here and after maybe 4 hours she said the Hopper3 turned off, any setting for this ( sleep mode ,etc)

I also had a question about the Hopper3. When I left for work yesterday my wife was here and after maybe 4 hours she said the Hopper3 turned off, any setting for this ( sleep mode ,etc)

If you go to the settings menu there should be a standby category. This is where you control how long before the Hopper goes into standby with no activity. Assuming that was the case for you. Your wife had the Hopper on but did not press any buttons on the remote for 4 hours so it went to standby due to no user activity. Normally the Hopper will not turn off until you turn it off as long as you are interacting with it.

Reactions: flody1
I noticed while searching for shows to set times on my Joey that it showed all of its episodes that were coming up on the guide, that were available on VOD, that were on my DVR and were on my EHD. Very nice.
You and also edit an existing time using the timers tab on the DVR screen. If you select the timer in question you can edit it there.

If you set a timer from a re-run, it defaults to new and rerun -. If you set a timer from a new event, it defaults to new. You can always edit it later

Just had my hopper 3 installed, I have to say the guy who installed it was very thorough friendly and pretty quick. I had a 3 TV installation with a Hopper with Sling being swapped out for a hopper 3 with two of the regular new joeys.

I think I put him at ease a bit by the fact that I was currently stripping and re-building my HTPC on the dining room table so he knew I was pretty tech inclined ha ha. (his boss actually showed up at one point just to see if he was getting on ok, I'm assuming hes either newish or just because the system is new) , he was also very friendly and got the job done professionally.

I wanted to give him a very good review in the follow up survey and hope he gets the same treatment from other customers.

All in all the total install took around 2 hours to finish which isn't bad considering he had to remove my existing dish entirely.

Just starting to play with the new system now but first impressions are that the new interface is very nice , Kudos dish.

One thing i think i should mention is that i had already transferred my DVR recordings last night but he told me that they give me 30 days to send the old box back and that i could have kept it if i want, as it happens I didnt need to.

Thank-you Dish and my tech who was referred to only as "Smith" (from the new/north haven area of CT).

Martin

If you go to the settings menu there should be a standby category. This is where you control how long before the Hopper goes into standby with no activity. Assuming that was the case for you. Your wife had the Hopper on but did not press any buttons on the remote for 4 hours so it went to standby due to no user activity. Normally the Hopper will not turn off until you turn it off as long as you are interacting with it.
and, you can turn that off in the same place...

Ordering from DIRT was smooth from Chris S. Got in touch with him on 2/1 and scheduled for 2/2. Dish called several times to confirm appointment the night before and that morning. Installer called early and said he would be early if that was OK. Not a problem being 2 hours early. MyDish stuff with the map and picture of technician worked flawlessly.

The techs replaced the Hopper2Sling and two Joey 1's with a Hopper 3 and two Joey 2.0's. They removed solo node and replaced with the hybrid node. Dish 1000.4 EA dish had to be replaced with 1000.2 WA dish and I have a temp mount for a 77 deg Wing for my locals (Louisville, KY). I got moved back to western arc because I was told that they did not have the EA hybrid LNBs only the WA ones. I was told that this is temporary and that a single dish solution is forthcoming. They are coming back next Tuesday to pole mount the 77 wing dish.

Swapping out hardware was a breeze. There was no download because the techs said they downloaded everything (pre-loaded) before coming out. So basically it was just like doing a hard reset when the Hopper powered up the first time. Hopper was done first and then they did the Joey's second. Everything worked out of the box the first time with Dolby Digital Audio working properly. No reboots or anything, switch checks were fine and remotes paired with no problems. They were worried about the wiring, but I had pre-wired my house with 3GHz cables during construction, so this was really a breeze. I should note this was this technicians first time doing a Hopper 3 install.

So far, I like the new Carbon interface. The remote will take some time to figure out. The old 40 remotes did pair fine, but they took them. Grrrr. So I'm stuck with the new ones, which are just different. I am in the process of reloading from the external drive, but so far, everything is snappier for sure on the Joeys.

The only thing that is weird is the switch back to Western Arc and the wing dish. Not sure why they did not have eastern arc hybrid LNB's (unless they ran out).

-Mark

Reactions: Tron2012
Not sure why they did not have eastern arc hybrid LNB's (unless they ran out)

They certainly exist as many of us are on EA, though you would still need the wing dish. The EA Hybrid LNB only picks up 61.5/72. Hopefully they are aware of this and just ran out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)